• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler Polls

kevinb

Eppler Polls  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What is your approval rating for Eppler as a GM

2. 2. How many more years will you be ok with Eppler as the GM without making the playoffs?

I gave him 80% and 2.  

I really like a lot of what he's done and I think (hope) that we'll have a chance at the division next year with some good moves.  

I think Houston's pitching isn't gonna be as good as people think next year although I could see them moving a bat to improve their rotation.  We're getting closer though.  

I gave him 70% and two years.

He has done a lot of good things for the team and has us heading in the right direction for the first time in a long time. But he's made his share of mistakes.

Given what he has accomplished and how far he has brought us, as long as progress continues he shouldn't be held to a "do or die" year.

I missed where Stradling goes around and downvotes a bunch of someones posts because he disagrees with them?

He is infuriatingly homerish at times, but he doesn't get childish.

3 minutes ago, azmancini said:

You are hilarious Stradling. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

...and no Lou, that wasn’t a reference related to anything concerning Upton.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

I missed where Stradling goes around and downvotes a bunch of someones posts because he disagrees with them?

He is infuriatingly homerish at times, but he doesn't get childish.

I thought about downvoting this just for lulz but didn’t. 

20 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I would be okay with 2 more years of not making the playoffs.

I would NOT be okay with two more years of losing records. 

Would you be okay with two more years of losing records if we made the playoffs in those two years?

I would be okay if no player dies, or suffers a career ending injury.  .

4 hours ago, azmancini said:

You are hilarious Stradling. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

...and no Lou, that wasn’t a reference related to anything concerning Upton.

You're the person who brought up Upton. I haven't said anything about him 

Hmmm ....... 

First you build, then you try and sustain a playoff quality team. 

The building process can be shorter or longer, depending on what the organization was like when the new GM arrived. 

Eppler obviously inherited a mess of a farm system. That really is the key to the second part of the equation. Sustaining a quality team over time. Eppler has done an A-/B+ level of rebuilding the system, so that is a positive in his favor.

He also inherited some key players who still are putting up decent numbers. With Trout the franchise crown jewel. Overall, the roster is producing runs and solid on defense. Catcher is still a weakness, right field an unknown next year, and the infield still being shuffled, but pretty good depth in general. 

He really has been forced to keep Pujols because of the contract signed years before. Pujols hadn't been terrible during his Angels career, but the value for the financial obligation has been one of the crippling factors preventing better use of the budget. Upton is somewhat in that category too. At the time of the trade and extension he looked like a dependable fixture, but now value for the dollar is also factoring in as a negative.

Pitching is the key to creating a balanced, contending team. Some good, some bad from Eppler, but tragedy and injuries seriously qualify the results as we see them now. By default I think next year will be a better gauge of the Pitching situation. There is some quality depth in the bullpen, but with Ohtani back, one or two higher quality additions they should be at least decent next year. 

Perhaps the greatest acquisition move Eppler made was snatching Ohtani out of the international pool. He was aggressive, bold, confident and willing to gamble on his two way skills without restrictions. 

His other trades and signings are about average for a GM. Some good, some duds. But other than Upton, none with longer term handicap potential 

And getting Trout signed long term is the best thing he 's done of everything. It did require a delicate personal touch and communication skills not all GMs have. Even when Eppler is gone that will be his biggest legacy.

Time wise I think two more years starting next year are fair to expect better results. At least high 80s wins and legitimate playoff contention.

The team isn't that bad. But is missing some key pieces. He shouldn't need longer to address those issues.

I'm not as results oriented as the rest of you but at the same time I questioned some of his offseason signings; of course many of which blew up on him this past season.  There are so many things a GM can control but it's also their job to plan for contingencies.  So I'll break down how I graded.

When I grade transactions I always ask, was there a better move available?  With some of these moves, I would have to say definitely yes. While, we don't know if they would've signed here, the deals they eventually did sign, I'm sure if the Angels offered a bit more, they would've signed with the Angels. 

I was very low on the signings of Harvey and Allen.  I don't know why Eppler targeted them, as they both weren't very good and/or effective.  So I will blame him for those signings being terrible as the signs were there and he overpaid for both of them.  Definite F grade moves for me. 

Alternatives: Starters: Gio Gonzalez, Wade Miley, Martin Perez, Jordan Lyles.  Relievers: Shawn Kelley, Greg Holland, David Phelps, Tony Sipp.

The DFAing of Shoemaker and Parker seemed like mistakes at the time until they too got injured (Shoe) and DFA'd (Parker), but I didn't understand why, especially Shoemaker when the Angels needed starters. D-grade moves for me and compounded by the extra money they paid for their replacements F.

Signing of Bour and Lucroy.  I thought these signings were at the time, fairly decent, C and B level grade moves.  While both weren't very good last season, they were signed for cheap for a combined under 6 mil.  They obviously weren't very good, but the price was right to gamble for these type of players.

Cahill I was especially high on.  Pretty decent track record in the AL West and the price was pretty decent as well.  I graded this move an A.  Unfortunately he got shelled this season as a starter with mediocre results as a reliever.  This I can't blame Eppler on, this caught me by surprise how poorly he's been performing. 

Cozart: Another deal I wasn't high on.  I covered this in another thread but this was a D/F level move.

Waiver wire and minor trades:  Of course I'm talking about La Stella and Goodwin. On the surface these were expected to be low impact moves and of course it broke the Angels way.

Even before the season, a lot of things had to have break right for the Angels to succeed in terms of injury and performance and unfortunately it didn't.  The rotation fell apart which is a key reason the Angels aren't doing very well.

The saving grace:  drafting.  The key to sustainable success is drafting and developing.  Eppler has shown that he has a knack for that.  Hopefully Eppler can continue to do this as we have some of the seeds bearing fruit, but the Angels will need a lot more to compete for titles. 

TL;DR summary: Eppler's mistakes are for one season, Dipoto's mistakes were for many.  Eppler's saving grace is drafting and development.  This past offseason signings sucked but nothing too big that'll hamstring the Angels next season and beyond.  Given the time needed for farm system development,  I'll give him another 4 years without playoffs, because Eppler wasn't given a total rebuild to build up a farm system.