• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

On 5/29/2019 at 10:00 AM, Tank said:

he worked with the rookies at lake elsinore, not as a member of the team, but more like a high school football booster. he got to know several of them personally and was greatly invested in them, to the point that any criticism whatsoever by anyone was treated in a hostile manner, whether that criticism was mild or heavy, deserved or not. he would get unreasonably angry and vicious to other posters, even threatening to sue them. he was on several angels message boards in the 90s, including aw.com, but became so cantankerous that he either quit or was asked to leaved at least half a dozen message boards.

there's a well known picture from his future angels website that chuck has (i have it on my home computer but i'm not there right now). will try to post it later.

he really was a jerk to pretty much everyone he met online.

So swap out angel players with Iron Eagle, and he was me?

15 hours ago, Lou said:

Huh?

"Many clubs didn’t have interest due to rumors that Trout was seeking a $2.5MM draft bonus, which would’ve exceeded the slot price for all but the top five picks, though in the end Trout signed with the Angels for the $1.215MM league-recommended slot price attached to the 25th overall selection."

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Who will be it be?   Cavaco (longtime need for a 3B), or one of the trio of RHPs (Allan, Priester, or Malone)?

If they draft a prep guy, it has nothing to do with the need at 3b.  I am sure they're confident that Jackson could be the 3bman of the future already.  

They'll take whoever they think has the most future value to the org.  

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

It'd be cool and all, but the Angels have notoriously ignored the Southern California prep scene. 

Funny how things change. When i was i HS, the San Gabriel Valley  was a scouts dream. My senior year, the league my school played in had several future MLB players. Arcadia high had Bruce Bochte, Fred Larkin and Steve Kemp.  El Monte high had Fred Lynn. San Gabriel high had Mike Krukow.  Alhambra had Danny Larson. Many others were drafted, but flamed out along the way.

10 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Funny how things change. When i was i HS, the San Gabriel Valley  was a scouts dream. My senior year, the league my school played in had several future MLB players. Arcadia high had Bruce Bochte, Fred Larkin and Steve Kemp.  El Monte high had Fred Lynn. San Gabriel high had Mike Krukow.  Alhambra had Danny Larson. Many others were drafted, but flamed out along the way.

That part really hasn't changed. So-Cal is still a hot bed, hard the highest density of future major leaguers in a specific area. You can go anywhere within the metropolis and find a future big leaguer. You can even head south down to San Diego Diego find even more. 

Incredible talent in a small space. 

But I have a theory as to why this new regime ignores So-Cal. It's because they target athletes. The kids in So-Cal specialize too early. They're ball players, not athletes. But you go to Texas and Georgia, most b of those kids played basketball and football too. They're athletes. 

That's why Jo Adell was such a rare find. Someone from the south with his blood lines, physique and physical skill set that was a ball player. 99/100 someone like that is playing shooting guard or wide receiver at an SEC school. Reminds me of Trout in that regard. 

I also like that those athletic kids are turning g to baseball more and more. 10-20 years ago, kids like Marsh and Adams never would've chose baseball over football. But more money, safer game, greater earning power,  it's starting to bring them all back. 

54 minutes ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

What I'm learning from these mock drafts: no one has any clue about who is going to draft whom.

Exactly. But it’s still fun to speculate and get excited about the possibility of drafting someone who can be a solid future contributor for the big league club.

I don’t have the eye for being able to assess talent like most of you on here, so it’s always insightful to read what you all have to say. It’s appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

let's tank this year and get this guy:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/prep-standout-blaze-jordan-reclassifies-for-2020-draft-class/

turn the sound up and listen to the ball coming off his bat.  

I've already been told that his representation has avoided having him play in competitive tournaments out of his immediate area or against guys older than him.  They know he can hit the ball 500 feet in BP, but no one knows how he'd actually handle a 95 mph fastball yet.  Or even 90 mph.  Or a decent off-speed pitch.  But there's lots pf buzz. I guess we'll find out but it sounds iffy to me. 

Edited by Second Base