• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking Matthew Allan leaves the draft board early.  And if he doesn't, the Angels probably need to pick him. 

something about declaring what you need in bonus money before the draft never sits well with me.  Have those conversations privately.  

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I always see the reference. Was he really one of the bat boys, or is that just an AW joke?

AW joke, dude had a web site at one time (2000s) called Future Angels, where he tracked the progress of the prospects back then.

He looks like a bat boy, and was in his middle 40s at the time, hence the 45 year-old bat boy references.

He reamed posters royally on here for simply posting frustrations with certain players.    His favorite go to posts referred to posters wanting "instant gratification". 

54 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

something about declaring what you need in bonus money before the draft never sits well with me.  Have those conversations privately.  

Yeah that's what's been reportedly floated, but once the Angels pick comes up, the recommended bonus allotment is 3.8 million anyway.  So I don't think the bonus will really be an issue with him, if the 4 million figure is correct.  

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I always see the reference. Was he really one of the bat boys, or is that just an AW joke?

he worked with the rookies at lake elsinore, not as a member of the team, but more like a high school football booster. he got to know several of them personally and was greatly invested in them, to the point that any criticism whatsoever by anyone was treated in a hostile manner, whether that criticism was mild or heavy, deserved or not. he would get unreasonably angry and vicious to other posters, even threatening to sue them. he was on several angels message boards in the 90s, including aw.com, but became so cantankerous that he either quit or was asked to leaved at least half a dozen message boards.

there's a well known picture from his future angels website that chuck has (i have it on my home computer but i'm not there right now). will try to post it later.

he really was a jerk to pretty much everyone he met online.

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

he worked with the rookies at lake elsinore, not as a member of the team, but more like a high school football booster. he got to know several of them personally and was greatly invested in them, to the point that any criticism whatsoever by anyone was treated in a hostile manner, whether that criticism was mild or heavy, deserved or not. he would get unreasonably angry and vicious to other posters, even threatening to sue them. he was on several angels message boards in the 90s, including aw.com, but became so cantankerous that he either quit or was asked to leaved at least half a dozen message boards.

there's a well known picture from his future angels website that chuck has (i have it on my home computer but i'm not there right now). will try to post it later.

he really was a jerk to pretty much everyone he met online.

He somehow wrangled his way to a spot (Future Angels) occasionally on the Halos radio pre-game show each month.   He had the personality/enthusiasm of cod liver oil.  

Newest mock-up from FanGraphs has the Angels taking Kentucky starter Zach Thompson.  I think they're just randomly slotting many of these guys based on rank though.  Anyone with knowledge of the Angels system knows they scout heavily on prep players from the south, unless a high upside SP just falls into their lap.  Thompson could indeed end up tumbling down the draft board, but his upside doesn't begin to approach Canning's, and he comes with much more warranted medical concerns than Canning did. 

Personally, given what we know about the angels tendencies, as well as what's available, I think the following list of players stand a decent shot at being selected by the Angels...

1. Hunter Bishop - Not prep, or from the South.  But incredible size and athleticism.  Not a likely pick in my opinion, but there's an outside shot. 

2. Jackson Rutledge - Matches the athleticism they target.  Elite stuff on the mound.  If he's on the board when the Angels pick, I think he's a very likely selection, but I doubt he'll last past the 12th pick. 

3. Quinn Priester - Another athletic pitcher with good stuff.  He's a cold weather arm that figures to project into the front of a rotation with professional instruction and reps.

4. Keoni Cavaco - Right in the Angels backyard, Cavaco is the athletic prep pick everyone could see them making.  Personally, I'm not impressed by what I've seen in the videos, but i bet major league teams have seen a lot more of him.  This is where we start to see guys that become downright likely to be picked. 

5. Matthew Allan - The best prep pitcher in the class looked like he can climb fast and end up in the front of the rotation, but a 4 million dollar price tag figures to have him tumble down the draft board.  That's ok, the same was said about Trout. 

6. J.J. Goss - A darling of the trackman system.  His velocity, movement, spin rates and break are all elite.  Funky delivery though.  Reminds me of a young Tim Lincecum. 

7. Gunnar Henderson - Good hitting prep shortstop from the south that could end up shifting over to 3B.  Tons of pop.  Good athlete on the hardwood.  The Angels FO have been spotted a few times at his games front what I understand. 

8. Maurice Hampton - The best athlete in the draft.  Has a scholarship to play defensive back and OF at LSU.  Lots of power, great speed, extreme projection.  But also very raw.  This pick would be similar to Adams last year, but with more power and less refinement, even though Adams isn't refined on the diamond. 

If I had to pick one, I'd say it ends up being Matthew Allan.  Prep pitchers with this upside and refinement don't come this late in the draft very often at all.  FG has Gunnar Henderson and Marice Hampton almost falling into the second round and Goss and Cavaco going in the late first round which just doesn't match where the Angels are picking.  If Rutledge tumbles, the Angels will get him, but I don't see it happening.  The smart pick here would be Gunnar Henderson, but most sources indicate that would be an over-draft on the Angels part.  So unless they pick him at 15 and intend to spend some serious money in the second round that no one knows about or someone tumbles into their lap the way Canning did, I just don't see it happening. 

So Matthew Allan is my guess. 

Edited by Second Base

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Newest mock-up from FanGraphs has the Angels taking Kentucky starter Zach Thompson.  I think they're just randomly slotting many of these guys based on rank though.  Anyone with knowledge of the Angels system knows they scout heavily on prep players from the south, unless a high upside SP just falls into their lap.  Thompson could indeed end up tumbling down the draft board, but his upside doesn't begin to approach Canning's, and he comes with much more warranted medical concerns than Canning did. 

Personally, given what we know about the angels tendencies, as well as what's available, I think the following list of players stand a decent shot at being selected by the Angels...

1. Hunter Bishop - Not prep, or from the South.  But incredible size and athleticism.  Not a likely pick in my opinion, but there's an outside shot. 

2. Jackson Rutledge - Matches the athleticism they target.  Elite stuff on the mound.  If he's on the board when the Angels pick, I think he's a very likely selection, but I doubt he'll last past the 12th pick. 

3. Quinn Priester - Another athletic pitcher with good stuff.  He's a cold weather arm that figures to project into the front of a rotation with professional instruction and reps.

4. Keoni Cavaco - Right in the Angels backyard, Cavaco is the athletic prep pick everyone could see them making.  Personally, I'm not impressed by what I've seen in the videos, but i bet major league teams have seen a lot more of him.  This is where we start to see guys that become downright likely to be picked. 

5. Matthew Allan - The best prep pitcher in the class looked like he can climb fast and end up in the front of the rotation, but a 4 million dollar price tag figures to have him tumble down the draft board.  That's ok, the same was said about Trout. 

6. J.J. Goss - A darling of the trackman system.  His velocity, movement, spin rates and break are all elite.  Funky delivery though.  Reminds me of a young Tim Lincecum. 

7. Gunnar Henderson - Good hitting prep shortstop from the south that could end up shifting over to 3B.  Tons of pop.  Good athlete on the hardwood.  The Angels FO have been spotted a few times at his games front what I understand. 

8. Maurice Hampton - The best athlete in the draft.  Has a scholarship to play defensive back and OF at LSU.  Lots of power, great speed, extreme projection.  But also very raw.  This pick would be similar to Adams last year, but with more power and less refinement, even though Adams isn't refined on the diamond. 

If I had to pick one, I'd say it ends up being Matthew Allan.  Prep pitchers with this upside and refinement don't come this late in the draft very often at all.  FG has Gunnar Henderson and Marice Hampton almost falling into the second round and Goss and Cavaco going in the late first round which just doesn't match where the Angels are picking.  If Rutledge tumbles, the Angels will get him, but I don't see it happening.  The smart pick here would be Gunnar Henderson, but most sources indicate that would be an over-draft on the Angels part.  So unless they pick him at 15 and intend to spend some serious money in the second round that no one knows about or someone tumbles into their lap the way Canning did, I just don't see it happening. 

So Matthew Allan is my guess. 

I don't see Rutledge falling down to us, but if he did, that would be awesome! I agree, I'd like us to take Allan if he's available. We'd have to go a bit over slot, but can make uthat money in rounds 6-10.

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I don't see Rutledge falling down to us, but if he did, that would be awesome! I agree, I'd like us to take Allan if he's available. We'd have to go a bit over slot, but can make uthat money in rounds 6-10.

Well, I mean if he's floating a 4 million dollar signing bonus, the recommended one for the Angels is 3.8.  That's pretty close to a slot bonus there. They could save 200k somewhere in rounds 3-5. 

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Well, I mean if he's floating a 4 million dollar signing bonus, the recommended one for the Angels is 3.8.  That's pretty close to a slot bonus there. They could save 200k somewhere in rounds 3-5. 

They get a fudge factor of 5% with only monetary penalty so that makes up for it right there.  

So....  I know Henderson is the guy they have been all over.  I think Quinn Priester is maybe the pitcher they would key on.  The kid is said to have off the charts makeup and extremely open to new age data... Elite spin rates, multi sport guy (two way starter at WR/DB on 6A state champ football team), said to be a ridiculous athlete.

Draft day will be fun.

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So....  I know Henderson is the guy they have been all over.  I think Quinn Priester is maybe the pitcher they would key on.  The kid is said to have off the charts makeup and extremely open to new age data... Elite spin rates, multi sport guy (two way starter at WR/DB on 6A state champ football team), said to be a ridiculous athlete.

Draft day will be fun.

maybe they make him a 2 way guy.  

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Draft day will be fun.

So is this your pick?  Henderson?  

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So is this your pick?  Henderson?  

I think it's where they go..   They have given him the Adell/Adams treatment supposedly.  Engaged early and tracked him hard, but I've been told they have been doing it for different reasons.  

The more I've read on Priester, the more I've liked him.  He checks a lot of their boxes but guys like Allen and the other prep pitchers have the more established track records.

For me, there are only two reasons I can see the Angels not picking Allan if he's available. The first would be that they prefer someone with a smaller price tag, so they can invest more on a second round pick that should/could have gone first round. This has been Eppler and Swanson's MO so far. They did it with Marsh. They did it again with Canning, and once more in Jackson. Now granted, they all came with reasonable explanations, Marsh hadn't focused on baseball yet and was more of a gamble, Canning's medicals shared teams off, and Jackson performed poorly against better competition, until he had his vision corrected, then began to dominate the showcase circuit, but that didn't syst until about two weeks before the draft, most teams had stopped watching and were building their draft board at that point.

The second reason why they wouldn't pick Allan is simply that he isn't available. 

I wouldn't be disappointed in a Henderson pick at all, but many experts feel he's more of a compensation round pick and not a mid tip early first round pick. That would be a reach, but Eppler did it before with Thaiss. Just because he hasn't done it in a few years doesn't mean he wont. 

Since the draft is supposedly deep for position players, I could see them having a couple of pitchers high on their list that they'd grab should they drop.  

Rutledge, Allan, Priester, Malone.  

They'll have an opportunity to get a nice position player in both the second and third.  I could see them going with Paris, Hampton or Ealy in the 2nd.  

Trejyn Fletcher is also a 2 way guy that could go in the 2nd or 3rd.  Brennan Milone could be an interesting 2nd or 3rd rounder as well.  

The Angels seem to like guys who have been a bit off radar and then they commit to them should they be available regardless of who drops where in the 1st.