• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

So this draft, I've paid more attention to than any since 2017, and before that, any since 2009.  Oddly enough, it came about because of fantasy purposes.  I'm in a dynasty league and my minor league reserves just graduated Vlad Jr., and Austin Riley, and I'm about to graduate Jo Adell and Bo Bichette as well.  We have a reserve draft and I managed to trade away the rights to Carter Kieboom and an 8th round pick next year for the top two picks of the draft. 

- Andrew Vaughn is probably the best college hitter I've seen in five years, probably since Kris Bryant.  He's Paul Goldschmidt, except that everyone knows he's going to be a stud, whereas Goldschmidt somehow made it to the 8th round despite destroying college baseball at Texas State for two years.

- Adley Rutschman has an easy swing and his barrel spends a ton of time in the zone.  Also, no doubt in my mind he stays at catcher as long as he's healthy.  His bat profiles similar to someone like CJ Cron, except Adley is an actual catcher with plate discipline.  Really valuable for fantasy purposes.

- I like Bobby Witt Jr., don't get me wrong.  He's the best prep player in the draft.  But from a fantasy perspective, I don't think he separates himself much from someone like Riley Greene, who has just as much power and a smoother swing with more projection.

- J.J. Bleday and Hunter Bishop don't impress me as much as they do others.  Neither hit before this year, their junior year, which suggests to me that they were slow in making the necessary adjustments.  Both have great power and decent athleticism, and will likely do well in the minors, but I'm not convinced they'll hit at the top level like I am Vaughn and Rutschman. 

- I really like Jackson Rutledge as a pitcher.  Younger than most college starters, but has the projection of most prep starters.  The best of both worlds. 

- Corbin Carroll looks like he has a slow bat to me.  I wonder how he'd perform against the kids of the South, California or Texas.  It isn't to say kids of the PNW can't play at that level, but I don't see the quick twitch explosiveness with him that I saw in others. 

- I've watched as much video as I can soon Keoni Cavaco.  He's playing against exceptional his school competition, and while he's clearly on another level physically, the swing looks like it will need to be completely dismantled and rebuilt again in the minors. 

- I really like Matthew Allan and think that long run, he's probably the best pitcher in the draft class, college or prep. 

- Josh Jung and Brett Baty I put in the same category.  Behemoths that can hit the ball 400 feet but lack any sort of athleticism.  This guys are strong, but they aren't physical specimens like Nolan Gorman, who left the board around the same time last year as these two will this year. 

- I'd compare Gunnar Henderson with Jeremiah Jackson from last year's draft.  Jackson is the better athlete with more pull power, Henderson is the better all-around hitter because he can use the whole field.  Henderson has the better arm but Jackson has a better glove and range.  I'm not sure whether this is to say that Jackson should've gone int he first round last year as Keith Law felt, or if Gunnar Henderson is more of a second round pick than first. 

- J.J. Goss is very good. 

15. Angels: Keoni Cavaco, 3B, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.)

Cavaco’s stock has been on the rise all spring and whispers of him climbing up to this part of the Draft now seem a lot more solid. The fact he’s turned in some 70 (on the 20-to-80 scouting scale) run times and started playing shortstop (and doing it well) has only helped his helium.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/2019-mlb-mock-draft-on-may-23.html

School: Eastlake (Calif.) HS Year: Senior Position: 3BAge: 17 DOB: 06/02/2001 Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'0" Weight: 185 lb.Commitment: San Diego State 
WATCH video.gif

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Eastlake High School in Chula Vista, Calif., hasn't had a player taken in the top few rounds since Adrian Gonzalez was the somewhat surprising No. 1 overall pick of the Marlins back in 2000. Thanks to a breakout fall and a consistently solid spring, Cavaco has popped up to be the next from Eastlake to likely go in the early stages of the Draft.

Cavaco first started getting attention for his complete tools package at the Angel Elite showcase in the fall, where his tremendous raw power particularly stood out. The only question about his offensive profile is how consistently he'll hit to get to that power, as there is some swing and miss to his game. Beyond the bat, Cavaco will show flashes of plus tools across the board. He's clocked sub four-second times home to first out of the box and he has the chance to be a plus defender at third, with very good hands, footwork, a plus arm and a willingness to stick his nose in the dirt. 

The industry was sleeping on Cavaco, who wasn't invited to most of the summer showcase circuit events, so there is a lack of track record and the infielder hasn't been challenged against tough competition like some have. But scouts are awake now, pouring in to see this pop-up prospect, one who is now likely to go early enough to forego his commitment to San Diego State.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/?list=draft

The latest from Bleacherreport. 

15. Los Angeles Angels: RHP Matthew Allan, Seminole HS (Fla.)

This is the first spot where it will take an above-slot deal to ink right-hander Matthew Allan to his $4 million asking price, albeit not much above-slot with a $3.89 million slot assignment. The 6'3" right-hander already has three above-average pitches and legitimate frontline upside, making him the top prep arm in a thin class. For an Angels team desperate for pitching, it's a price worth paying.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Law's mock draft 2.0 had them going after Daniel Espino from Georgia Premier Academy.   The snippet points to their recent modus operandi of huge upsides.

Thanks. Espino would be an interesting pick for us as well. Huge FB and slider. With teams somewhat split on him (the issue is long-term move to closer or remaining as a starter), it might allow us to work more magic in the 2nd round whereas with Allan there is a strong concern that we may have to go a bit over slot to sign him. 

I really do hope that we take a top pitcher this year in the 1st round.

40 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

The latest from Bleacherreport. 

15. Los Angeles Angels: RHP Matthew Allan, Seminole HS (Fla.)

This is the first spot where it will take an above-slot deal to ink right-hander Matthew Allan to his $4 million asking price, albeit not much above-slot with a $3.89 million slot assignment. The 6'3" right-hander already has three above-average pitches and legitimate frontline upside, making him the top prep arm in a thin class. For an Angels team desperate for pitching, it's a price worth paying.

Looks like BA and Bleacher Report both have the Angels taking Allan.

I hope they do, but you never know with this team.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Thanks. Espino would be an interesting pick for us as well. Huge FB and slider. With teams somewhat split on him (the issue is long-term move to closer or remaining as a starter), it might allow us to work more magic in the 2nd round whereas with Allan there is a strong concern that we may have to go a bit over slot to sign him. 

I really do hope that we take a top pitcher this year in the 1st round.

Most of what ive seen written about him is concerns about his mechanics, both repeating them, and potential long term health.  There are some really good videos on him that show you what they are talking about .. 3/4 delivery, across body....  But there are a lot of videos that show a glimpse of his personality and drive.  

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Law's mock draft 2.0 had them going after Daniel Espino from Georgia Premier Academy.   The snippet points to their recent modus operandi of huge upsides.

The Halos haven't exactly had great success with players drafted in the earliest rounds, who come from Georgia. 

1 minute ago, Jinzu said:

Looks like BA and Bleacher Report both have the Angels taking Allan.

I hope they do, but you never know with this team.

Interesting thing about Allan and Espino is that both don't have the most orthodox deliveries, yet both produce high heat, supposedly late into games. From what I'm hearing, Espino has 4 true offerings, with some skepticism (but also due to a lack of showing) on his changeup. We've done a lot teaching pitchers the changeup, so, that's not the most impossible thing to teach, at least to an average offering. Espino probably has the better FB, but not by too much. 

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The Halos haven't exactly had great success with players drafted in the earliest rounds, who come from Georgia. 

That's the kind of thinking that let Trout fall to the Angels....

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

We can typically find something to spook ourselves about any player.   Take Mathew Allen...  He goes to the same HS that gave us Casey Kotchman, Greg Jones and Bobby Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

You aren't the only one with that thought. But, there are many others who think he will stay a starter. The question is, what does Eppler think?

I think Eppler is gonna take another position player in the first round and take the best player available in the 2nd which might be another position player.  

I know that you and I differ a bit on our philosophy of drafting and developing pitching vs. position players.  Or at least how we think Eppler thinks in that regard.  I think he thinks that an incredible athlete can be turned into a position player and that he can take a strong armed guy later in the draft and teach them how to pitch.  I agree with that for the most part.  

He's gonna continue to grab guys that profile as relievers (two pitch guys) and stretch them out to 3-4 innings or maybe further.  

The needle in the haystack these days is the ace.  A 200+ ip front line guy.  If he's feels there's a guy like that who has dropped to us, then they shouldn't pass on him but otherwise, I still like the high upside position players.  

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

We can typically find something to spook ourselves about any player.   Take Mathew Allen...  He goes to the same HS that gave us Casey Kotchman, Greg Jones and Bobby Wilson.

that reminds me to remind people reading this stuff that we're a bunch of message board guys projecting 18-21 yo players we've almost never seen aside from a few videos.  

Predicting their ultimate professional baseball outcome is like trying to guess what each individual player in the Angels lineup will do for one game.  

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I had a dream they took some no name pitcher expected top be drafted much later and was super disappointed.

My guess is Matthew Allan or Gunnar Henderson.

Henderson is my best guess right now as well.  

How about both?  

Or a safer pick in the 1st round and Allen for way over slot in the 2nd?  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Henderson is my best guess right now as well.  

How about both?  

Or a safer pick in the 1st round and Allen for way over slot in the 2nd?  

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I had a dream they took some no name pitcher expected top be drafted much later and was super disappointed.

My guess is Matthew Allan or Gunnar Henderson.

Ditto Henderson. 

All the same noise about an Angels contingent tracking him all year as there was the last two drafts with Adell and Adams.

Now even fangraphs has gone on record as Eppler having seen him

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ditto Henderson. 

All the same noise about an Angels contingent tracking him all year as there was the last two drafts with Adell and Adams.

Now even fangraphs has gone on record as Eppler having seen him

I can only go off of what I've seen and fill in the gaps and make projections, but I think I'd place him just below Jordyn Adams in the rankings. Doesn't quite have Adams upside/athleticism. More power though, may be more polished.