• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

From BA's mock draft. 

Can I just say this...  I hope to God we don't draft another toolsy outfielder. I would like to go for a either a 3B out of college with good power/OBP/Defense, an offensive first catcher with solid if not spectacular defense, or a college starting pitcher with a good track record against solid college opponents and good upside. 

I would love to be able to get an infielder or a catcher in the first round but I think the reality is that they just have to take who they deem to be the best player available.  I asked Taylor Blake Ward about it in his Q&A last night and his thought was that you don’t start drafting based on organizational needs until after the 3rd round. 

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I would love to be able to get an infielder or a catcher in the first round but I think the reality is that they just have to take who they deem to be the best player available.  I asked Taylor Blake Ward about it in his Q&A last night and his thought was that you don’t start drafting based on organizational needs until after the 3rd round. 

I disagree with him. Taylor's not a pro scout btw, he's just a blogger with press credentials. 

Anyhow, it would be a waste if we drafted another guy who "could" be star if his hit tool matches his athleticism & 4-tool ability, but there's been many prospects of this kind who never reached the big leagues because they couldn't hit a major league curveball, slider or changeup and they  were successful in HS because they seen a majority of fastballs but lacking the good offspeed pitches. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

BA has this kid going to the Mariners at #20 who is after us. I'd rather we draft this kid if he's available. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 3.49.22 PM.png

I think this guy is a bit of a fluke.. Most of his offensive value seems to be coming from his batting average.. His ISO is down and his rates are kinda meh... http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=204211

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think this guy is a bit of a fluke.. Most of his offensive value seems to be coming from his batting average.. His ISO is down and his rates are kinda meh... http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=204211

Thanks, @Inside Pitch. There's always more than meets the eye when it comes to looking at stats for sure. I think the first two things that caught my eye were his defensive value, works good with pitchers & he's out of college -- so he could be a bit closer to the big leagues. 

What are your thoughts on my comment re: drafting another toolsy HS outfielder?

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thanks, @Inside Pitch. There's always more than meets the eye when it comes to looking at stats for sure. I think the first two things that caught my eye were his defensive value, works good with pitchers & he's out of college -- so he could be a bit closer to the big leagues. 

What are your thoughts on my comment re: drafting another toolsy HS outfielder?

When push comes to shove i just hope they take BPA, but yeah... Something other than an OFer would be neat.

I think the view coming from everywhere is that the Angels are an extreme tools first org when it comes to the draft but I've been told that's a gross oversimplification and that they are putting an extreme value on other data.   What that is and how they are getting that data is a mystery to me.   But with everyone assuming they will go tools and the little into I have been given (Angels seen heavily scouting in Texas and Fl), it wouldn't really shock me if they go after the most projectable college bat they can find.   I mentioned Jung, and while nobody has mentioned him specifically, he sticks out as someone that is trending in the right direction...  http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=205958

Edited by Inside Pitch

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

From BA's mock draft. 

Can I just say this...  I hope to God we don't draft another toolsy outfielder. I would like to go for a either a 3B out of college with good power/OBP/Defense, an offensive first catcher with solid if not spectacular defense, or a college starting pitcher with a good track record against solid college opponents and good upside.

We scored on Jo Adell, but Marsh, Jackson and Adams may turn out to be toolsy OF busts and Knowles may not ever perform outside of low-A ball (TBD). 

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 2.57.58 PM.png

There was opportunity for that in the 2018 draft but we passed which makes me think that position has no priority.  

Halos could use a college RHP (like Manoah) with good stuff and possible quick ascension through the system to become a mid-rotation guy.                 Don't know what WVU's stadium is like, but at an elevation of close to 1,000 feet, it has to be hitting friendly.    His stats, given that, are excellent.

They already have four lefties (Skaggs and Heaney, along with close to being ready Suarez and Sandoval), and four righties (Ohtani - 2020 and beyond, Canning, Barria, and Pena).

3B (Jung) is also a definite need.

23 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I disagree with him. Taylor's not a pro scout btw, he's just a blogger with press credentials. 

Anyhow, it would be a waste if we drafted another guy who "could" be star if his hit tool matches his athleticism & 4-tool ability, but there's been many prospects of this kind who never reached the big leagues because they couldn't hit a major league curveball, slider or changeup and they  were successful in HS because they seen a majority of fastballs but lacking the good offspeed pitches. 

I said the same thing two years ago and managed to piss everyone off.  He's a good guy, but we can't just take his word as the be-all-end-all in scouting.  I scouted, went through the course, and was employed, and I've been wrong more times than I've been right right.  Taylor wouldn't even want you to just take his word for it.  It's better to get the information straight from the source, the team itself or someone within the industry. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I said the same thing two years ago and managed to piss everyone off.  He's a good guy, but we can't just take his word as the be-all-end-all in scouting.  I scouted, went through the course, and was employed, and I've been wrong more times than I've been right right.  Taylor wouldn't even want you to just take his word for it.  It's better to get the information straight from the source, the team itself or someone within the industry. 

yeah, but you post on angelswin.  ?

5 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Here's hoping we don't have a Nolan Gorman like whiff. I recall Doc wanting that dude badly. He's certainly looking better than Adams at the moment.

I am a Gorman fan.  But it's way too early to declare victory and I really hope I don't get to.  

It actually makes some sense that Adams would struggle at A ball considering his lack of experience.  While I'm mildly bummed that he's not gonna be the next Adell (which was an unreasonable expectation anyway), I'm 2 years away from pushing the panic button.  

2 hours ago, RBM said:

I understand the reluctance some have about drafting an Outfielder in the first round but I like the idea of drafting best available early and for need middle to late. I’m watching the ASU/UA game and ASU Centerfielder Hunter Bishop just hit a 450 foot HR to break open a tie game. He has two HR’s tonight, 21 total. If we have a chance to get him at 15 we should. The mock draft has him going at 8 to the Rangers. 

his stock has been rising fast.  his first two years he was pretty meh with a 30+% k rate and ok walk rate with not great power.  He's exploded this year.  I was hoping he'd be a second round target but I guess not.  He'll be a top 10 pick. 

I am a huge fan of Zach Thompson; he's one of the few College arms I'd love to get.

Josh Jung feels too perfect; I expect if he's off the board, Brett Baty (who is basically Josh Jung three years ago) could be a target too. Otherwise, I'd just go for one of the College SS; Bryson Scott (if he falls) and Will Wilson will be great 2nd basemen; Logan Davidson could stick at 3rd.  This draft is deep in College (and Prep!) Infield talent, so part of me hopes we sorta just draft a bunch of those guys. Bryson Scott would be terrific if he falls just a bit, but if we drafted all infielders for the first three rounds I'd be happy.

Hell, if teams could trade picks, I'd be begging the Angels to trade down, since I think there will be an early run on Pitchers.