• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Isn't that the one that was probably our worst ever? Like 5 picks in the first two rounds and they all stink?

Yes, but if they would have come out of nowhere and drafted Kole with one of those first 5 picks, then we would look at that draft completely different.  Instead they drafted him in like the 5th round of that draft.  

Looking at the 2010 draft there are really good players and then that is about it.  That was the Harper, Machado, Yellich, Harvey, Simmons, Syndagaard draft, I am sure I am missing some guys in there.  Then a few guys like Pomeranz and Castellanos.  We got Kole later in the draft and he is probably top 15 or so player from that draft. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Looking at the 2010 draft there are really good players and then that is about it.  That was the Harper, Machado, Yellich, Harvey, Simmons, Syndagaard draft, I am sure I am missing some guys in there.  Then a few guys like Pomeranz and Castellanos.  We got Kole later in the draft and he is probably top 15 or so player from that draft. 

In retrospect it was one of the weakest drafts ever...  When you consider the Angels first pick was 17th overall, it's hard to pound them for missing the names....  Where it's fair to pop them is for missing on Yelich, a young SS named Jacob Tyler Realmuto, and other guys between 17 and 81 when they had that glut of picks

Edited by Inside Pitch

Final mock draft from MLB.com has the Angels taking Keoni Cavaco.  He's been far more connected to the Angels than any other team up to this point.  I wonder if there's actually something there or if this is simply everyone taking their best guess.  Both Adell and Adams had been heavily connected to the Angels before their drafts as well.  But we've also seent he Angels connected with Gunnar Henderson.

Should be interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Final mock draft from MLB.com has the Angels taking Keoni Cavaco.  He's been far more connected to the Angels than any other team up to this point.  I wonder if there's actually something there or if this is simply everyone taking their best guess.  Both Adell and Adams had been heavily connected to the Angels before their drafts as well.  But we've also seent he Angels connected with Gunnar Henderson.

Should be interesting. 

this seems like the most mysterious since 2016.  

maybe they can actually draft a decent 3rd rounder this year.  Williams and Pearson were bleh.  I was totally in on Williams but that hasn't materialized at all.  Hernandez is still in play although early returns aren't great.  This draft is very odd due to the perceived lack of college pitching.  Normally the staple of any draft.  

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I love following and reading up on the MLB draft. While it's not as exciting as the NFL draft, it's getting pretty close IMO. The MLB Network has done a great job making it special day and has a ton of info on all of the selections, unlike the old days.. 

Besides Glaus, us getting Abbott and Erstad was pretty exciting. 

Though that McKay Christianson pick still stings a little.

That and Brian Anderson at #3 overall in 1993.

10 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Isn't that the one that was probably our worst ever? Like 5 picks in the first two rounds and they all stink?

Cowart - only a taste of the bigs, now trying to make it as a two way player

BadRock - good 2016, some decent pitching this season, and otherwise, meh

Clarke - never rising above high-A ball, and that for only part of one season with a .475 OPS

Bolden - never rising above rookie ball, but stopping there out of respect for his passing

Lindsey - never reaching the bigs

It's not so much Cowart and BadRock because they did make it to the bigs, but it's more having five of the top 40 picks and still not befitting very much ultimately.   Was the 2010 draft that lacking throughout MLB in true prospects?   

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

this seems like the most mysterious since 2016.  

maybe they can actually draft a decent 3rd rounder this year.  Williams and Pearson were bleh.  I was totally in on Williams but that hasn't materialized at all.  Hernandez is still in play although early returns aren't great.  This draft is very odd due to the perceived lack of college pitching.  Normally the staple of any draft.  

I suppose it's a good thing that the Angels really stocked up on collegiate pitchers last year.  But I wonder, with the lack of quality options from the college ranks, will the Angels decide to get their upside from prep pitchers early on, knowing that they won't have a better chance at accumulating pitching depth for at least another year or will they go heavy on position players, knowing that much of the collegiate pitching talent doesn't far exceed those that they'll get as UDFA.

My guess is the latter.  But personally, I'd target Matthew Allan. 

I suppose my official guess would still be Gunnar Henderson.  He's expected to go late first round, in much the same way Thaiss was expected to go late first round, so they'll be able to get him as an under-slot bonus and use the savings to spend enough on someone in the 2nd round that's worthy of the first round, but wasn't expected to sign at all due to a strong college commitment, like Anthony Volpe or Jack Leiter. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Updated MOCK Draft from Baseball America as of right now. 

I believe they will update once more right before the draft. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.37.23 AM.png

When they say connected, do they mean they've actually spotted Angels personnel at his games scouting him?

30 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Forgot about him. At least he didn't totally suck. But yeah, I thought we went after his college numbers rather than his actual stuff/upside with that pick. 

They had to be looking at Brian Anderson's BBs total in college, which was almost non-existent; because he was nowhere nears a strike out guy (only K'd less than 100 in 212 innings with the Halos.    Also, that was the era where the Autrys kept mostly a tight reign on money for first round picks, outside of Erstad in 1995 and Glaus in 1997. 

I'm hearing if the Rangers don't take Baty, he will slip until a couple picks after the Angels, to the Nationals. 

I would take Baty over Cavaco IMO. Big time power and one of the purest bats in the draft.

35 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

Where is the best place to watch the draft if I am at work on my computer? And when does it start?

LFG

there might be a stream on reddit. They put their streams closer to the start time but it would be reddit.com/r/mlbstreams