• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

13 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

For some reason I feel like I’ve heard the name Arol Vera before.......will never remember where or why though.  Also could be imagining it. 

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

reported that we've been in on him for awhile and it was posted here along with some videos.  

Or he's confusing him with that other guy - Aloe Vera...   I hear he has soft hands...

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Vera is a potential successor to Simba 5-6 years down the road?   Or does he project more towards 2B or 3B?  

This is probably the easiest time ever to say the following words:

”it might be a little bit early to know if he will be Simmons replacement”.

not sure if this was posted:

angels16.jpg15. Los Angeles Angels | Brennan Malone, RHP, IMG Academy (Fla.)
Malone and Matthew Allan are pretty much considered to be the top two prep arms right now by the industry and the Angels feel like a good landing spot for Malone. He’s taken strides forward this spring in terms of consistency, both in regards to command and his off-speed stuff, and performed in a big way at a major event (NHSI) back in March.

so far I've seen Lodolo, Bishop, Carroll, Jung, Rutledge, Baty, Malone, Misner in mocks to the halos so I guess we can eliminate all of them.  

There's gonna be a few position players with first round talent drop to the second round.  Could be the opposite of 2017 where we go upside pitcher like Malone in the first and college position player in the 2nd like Kody Hoese.  

6 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Any update on that kid we signed last year?  Alex Ramirez or something like that?

paywall content from Baseball America says he's in AZ and likely to the DSL as IP said.  

they did a review of last year's intl class for each team

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-19-international-reviews-los-angeles-angels/

for anyone that's a member.  

Andrew Heaney (elbow) has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment.

Heaney made it through three innings of a simulated game without issue on Friday. It's unclear where exactly he'll begin his rehab assignment, though he is expected to need three starts in the minors before he's ready to rejoin the Angels. Barring any setbacks, he should be ready to return to the Angels' rotation before the end of May.

May 11, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

On 5/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Lou said:

Andrew Heaney (elbow) has been cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment.

Heaney made it through three innings of a simulated game without issue on Friday. It's unclear where exactly he'll begin his rehab assignment, though he is expected to need three starts in the minors before he's ready to rejoin the Angels. Barring any setbacks, he should be ready to return to the Angels' rotation before the end of May.

May 11, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

I hope the Angels draft this guy.

I watched some video of Cavaco. I think there's the potential to unlock a good bit more power out of him. And, I can see the appeal of Trejyn Fletcher, but I'm not sure he'll be there for our second pick. As much as I would love to get a great pitcher in the draft, I'd have to admit getting these two would be an impressive haul.

An interesting pitcher, if available in the second round (I'm hearing mixed things about where he might go) is Alek Manoah. We have his brother Erik pitching for us at IE. Alek is supposed to be better, with an even harder fastball. The concerns are about his build and secondary offerings (whether he stays as a starter or moves to the pen). If Fletcher is gone and Manoah is available, that might be an interesting pick. But, I've also heard other teams willing to take Manoah earlier. 

The biggest thing I'm hearing is that outside of the top 3 picks, it's anyone's guess as to how the draft will go, and teams are doing a lot of "what if" scenarios for their first few rounds because a lot of planning will change on draft day.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, Second Base said:

I figure with selections like Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh, Jo Adell, Jordyn Adams and Jeremiah Jackson all coming in the last three years or so, there's quite the track record for the Angels identifying one thing and one thing alone in this draft. 

UPSIDE PREP POSITION PLAYERS FROM THE SOUTH.

So all we really have to do is look at the top prospects for the first round that fit that description and you'll have a pretty good shot at correctly predicting who the Angels select. 

Maurice Hampton, Gunnar Henderson, Brett Baty, Riley Greene, C.J. Abrams and Bobby Witt Jr. are going to be the top targets not he draft board.  If we figure that Witt, Abrams and Greene will be off the board before the Angels pick, then that narrows it down to....

Hampton, Henderson and Baty. 

Given the athleticism pepper targets, that really narrows it down to Hampton or Henderson. 

And now, just by watching the scouting videos I've watched, it is REALLY narrowed down. 

The Angels are going to pick Maurice Hampton and buy him out of his football commit to LSU. 

Three Angels scouts including one of their cross-checkers identified at two of Gunnar Henderson's recent games.    There are also reports that Eppler has seen him play.   Kid is an Auburn commit, so..  he's got a ride to one of the better programs in the nation already.

I believe we have a front-runner...   

Angels seem to like the South.

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Three Angels scouts including one of their cross-checkers identified at two of Gunnar Henderson's recent games.    There are also reports that Eppler has seen him play.   Kid is an Auburn commit, so..  he's got a ride to one of the better programs in the nation already.

I believe we have a front-runner...   

Angels seem to like the South.

of course he also plays basketball.  

I still think we should have drafted one of Brady Singer, Ryan Rolison, Jackson Kowar or Shane McClanahan over Jordyn Adams, especially since we took Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh previously in the draft.

Singer who was arguably the best college arm in the draft went right after us and is doing really well in his first taste of professional ball in High-A. 2.47 ERA, 43 IP, 43 K's, 1.19 WHIP, just 1 HR allowed. 

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I still think we should have drafted one of Brady Singer, Ryan Rolison, Jackson Kowar or Shane McClanahan over Jordyn Adams, especially since we took Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh previously in the draft.

Singer who was arguably the best college arm in the draft went right after us and is doing really well in his first taste of professional ball in High-A. 2.47 ERA, 43 IP, 43 K's, 1.19 WHIP, just 1 HR allowed. 

He's done well enough but that park is murder on RHBs -- the HR index is 53 and the run index is 87.  Singer is obviously the much more polished product and given our need for SPs I totally get what you're coming from but I'm actually okay with the Halos chasing the premium tools and athletes.   There will be misses, not that Im saying Adams is a miss, but there will also be some spectacular hits.

Based on the park adjusted stuff it looks like Kowar (his teammate) is outdoing him.  http://www.statcorner.com/team/426/2019/Wilmington Blue Rocks

Man -- I just looked up Rolison -- check out how he's doing in Lancaster http://www.statcorner.com/team/491/2019/Lancaster JetHawks    That is a dominant showing in a total launching pad.

Edited by Inside Pitch