• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Friends, it’s over. Bryce Harper has blessed the Phillies

UndertheHalo

This is good news on lots of levels...

1. Harper won't be a Dodger

2. Phillies payroll just took a major hit making it less likely (although not impossible) for them to afford Trout

3. The bar has now been set - time to get serious about that Trout extension

4. We don't have to hear or read about him for the rest of spring training

5.  Did I mention that Harper won't be a Dodger?

I literally can't believe all the hoopla about this in regards to Trout remaining here. If anything the AAV of Harper's contract makes it much more likely he could wind up back in Philly. At just 25.38 million/year and front-loaded if reports are correct then all they have to do is backload Trout's contract. There could easily be years the both of them are taking up only 55-60 million. Backloading Trout retains value in the later years. Also, the Phillies current large contracts are set to expire in 21/22 i.e...Arrieta, Mccutchen, Nola,  and Robertson. I hope Trout stays, but the AAV of Harper's contract makes me leary now.

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder what sort of higher AAV deals were offered by LA and the Giants. If LAD was offering 5/$200M, I'd almost think that would be preferable to Harper. But it seems he really just wanted that $330M.

That or perhaps he really liked the length of the contract, which takes him through age 39 (?). It’s life/generation-changing money for him and he will never have to go through this process again.

45 minutes ago, summit21 said:

I literally can't believe all the hoopla about this in regards to Trout remaining here. If anything the AAV of Harper's contract makes it much more likely he could wind up back in Philly. At just 25.38 million/year and front-loaded if reports are correct then all they have to do is backload Trout's contract. There could easily be years the both of them are taking up only 55-60 million. Backloading Trout retains value in the later years. Also, the Phillies current large contracts are set to expire in 21/22 i.e...Arrieta, Mccutchen, Nola,  and Robertson. I hope Trout stays, but the AAV of Harper's contract makes me leary now.

I actually agree with this. Not to mention that Harper in Philly may take a bit of the heat off Trout, who likes a lower profile than he'd normally experience playing for one of the bigger East Coast teams.

But while I don't think Harper-to-Philly diminishes the chances that they'll go after Trout, I don't think it increases the chances that they'll actually get him. That is up to Trout.

I suspect we'll know whether Trout will remain an Angel for life within the next few weeks. If he doesn't sign an extension now, I don't think he ever will. I suppose they could have a great year and he could feel inspired in November, but I guess I just think it lowers the chances greatly.

In other words, right now I think he'll probably be an Angel for life. If he doesn't sign before Opening Day, that probably becomes a maybe. If he doesn't sign next offseason that maybe becomes a probably not.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Crazy part about this is that when the deal ends he will be the same age that Albert is now.   :(  

So in terms of contract and amount that could be good for both sides. $25.4M AAV and possibly $25.4M unless front or backloaded. He'll be making way less at 38 than Albert did at that age because the tax will go up so It'll look cute by that time. Bryce got what he wanted and seems to me like the Phillies did too. 

With that said, Angels could have easily done that deal. Anyone could have...

8 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

So in terms of contract and amount that could be good for both sides. $25.4M AAV and possibly $25.4M unless front or backloaded. He'll be making way less at 38 than Albert did at that age because the tax will go up so It'll look cute by that time. Bryce got what he wanted and seems to me like the Phillies did too. 

With that said, Angels could have easily done that deal. Anyone could have...

IDK, i mean could they, yes i agree and believe that could have... but im not sure i would want them to even at that AAV.  From what ive read there is no deferment, not nothing tricky, just a straight 25M AAV.  13 years is a career, literally, im not sure i would want to hitch that wagon to anyone in the game not named Trout.