• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Friends, it’s over. Bryce Harper has blessed the Phillies

UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Interesting stuff.  Makes you wonder what Trout is wanting out of his contract.  Teams are obviously willing to build a variety of different types of deal.  It’s completely a guess, but i think that Trout probably will be most interested in a “set his career” contract as well.  It makes sense.  I think. 

3 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

I don’t think Trout will be playing at 42. I think more along the lines of 10/350 or 8/320 with one opt out after year five. 

9/365mil. give him 40m yearly average and take him to 500m in career earnings. Harper 25.6 yearly is about what he is worth right now. manny worth a bit more, since he a better defensive player, especially at 3rd base

10 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

This is a great example as to how flawed Baseball Reference's WAR is 

Fixed. Via Fangraphs he was at 3.5. Basically his defense sucked last year and both WARs penalized him, but BR more than FG.

Here's Harper's season WAR from 2012-18: 4.4, 4.1, 1.6, 9.3, 3.0, 4.8, 3.5.

Basically he's established a baseline of around 4 WAR, which is a borderline star. Five of his seven years are in the 3.0 - 4.8 range and average out to 4. He has two outlier seasons, one a down and injury-shortened year in 2014 and the other his MVP year in 2015.

The Phillies are banking on a couple things:

1) He not only continues at a 4+ WAR level, but improves upon it. There are reasons to believe he can. He had a 4.8 WAR in 2017 in 111 games. 2018 was disappointing in that he he not only had terrible defense (-18.1 Defensive Runs, which amounts to about 2 WAR), but a low BABIP (.289) led to a .249 batting average. If his BABIP improves to career norms (.318), his triple-slash becomes something like .280/.420/.530; if his defense improves by half, all of a sudden we go from 3.5 to 5.5. Add in a favorable ballpark in Phillie, and it isn't a stretch to expect ~6 WAR.

2) He has more MVP seasons in him. Again, it isn't just 2015. That year he was basically as good as Mike Trout. His wRC+ of 197 was a bit higher than Trout's best and equal to Babe Ruth's career line. Even if he "only" puts up an 180 wRC+ in another peak season or two, that's peak Miggy/Pujols level. 

There's risk, obviously. But I think that at the very least, Harper will have more seasons like 2017 when he was on pace for around 6.5 WAR and had a 155 wRC+.