• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cody Allen

Ochocinco!

Must admit, this both shocked me and didnt at the same time.
its an overpay IMO, but one we needed.  Shocking to see him even consider spending that on a closer, but not on a 1 year deal.
I dont think it moves the needle much standings wise, it isnt likely to put us in the wildcard if the other hopefuls dont step up, i almost dont see the point in investing in a closer like this without an offense.
I guess it comes down to value in July over value in the standings, hes investing 8.5M to hopefully get more value in return when he flips him. 

A little blurb on CBS on Cody Allen (fantasy outlook)

PLAYER OUTLOOK

Cody Allen picked the wrong year to struggle as 2018 was his walk year and there were several closers on the market at a time when clubs are devaluing the need to pay a ninth-inning stud. The right-hander continued to rely on two pitches, a four-seam fastball and curve. Both lost a tad of velocity, and trouble locating the bender more up in the zone resulted in a big drop in effectiveness, allowing batters to sit on his fastball. Allen's wOBA on curves was a career worst and while his wOBA on fastballs was close to career norms, hitters clubbed nine of his career-worst 11 homers allowed off the heater. Long balls weren't Allen's only issue as his walk rate was higher and his strikeout rate was his lowest since 2012, his rookie season. Diminishing velocity with worse control and command isn't the optimal profile, but Allen found a team willing to give him another chance to close in the Angels, albeit on only a one-year deal.

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Allen found a team willing to give him another chance to close in the Angels, albeit on only a one-year deal.

We're kind of doing a lot of that this offseason... giving guys a second chance.

A day later and sober (had too much fun last night after work), I really REALLY like this signing. 

Cody Allen has been one of the best, if not THE best reliever in terms of consistency over the past 5-6 years with an ERA under 3 in all of those seasons outside of 2018, but like @totdprods pointed out, he had 3 REALLY bad outings that blew up his ERA. His strikeouts to IP was still solid despite 1 mph loss on his FB, which could come back if he's not overthrowing trying to compensate for losing his grip on the curveball. 

35 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

A day later and sober (had too much fun last night after work), I really REALLY like this signing. 

Cody Allen has been one of the best, if not THE best reliever in terms of consistency over the past 5-6 years with an ERA under 3 in all of those seasons outside of 2018, but like @totdprods pointed out, he had 3 REALLY bad outings that blew up his ERA. His strikeouts to IP was still solid despite 1 mph loss on his FB, which could come back if he's not overthrowing trying to compensate for losing his grip on the curveball. 

Ive long asked for a closer to help bring the kids along, i would love this signing if we have made better offensive adjustments for it really make a difference, but I simply dont believe weve done that.   Id rather be in a position of expecting a result, than hoping for a result. 
We might make the WC game,  its very much possible, no question about it. 

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

A little blurb on CBS on Cody Allen (fantasy outlook)

PLAYER OUTLOOK

Cody Allen picked the wrong year to struggle as 2018 was his walk year and there were several closers on the market at a time when clubs are devaluing the need to pay a ninth-inning stud. The right-hander continued to rely on two pitches, a four-seam fastball and curve. Both lost a tad of velocity, and trouble locating the bender more up in the zone resulted in a big drop in effectiveness, allowing batters to sit on his fastball. Allen's wOBA on curves was a career worst and while his wOBA on fastballs was close to career norms, hitters clubbed nine of his career-worst 11 homers allowed off the heater. Long balls weren't Allen's only issue as his walk rate was higher and his strikeout rate was his lowest since 2012, his rookie season. Diminishing velocity with worse control and command isn't the optimal profile, but Allen found a team willing to give him another chance to close in the Angels, albeit on only a one-year deal.

I'm telling you, the Angels are going to encourage him to throw that knuckle-curve more, his fastball caused a majority of the damage that he took last year. He'd be smart to up its usage a bit more.

I should note I wanted everyone to see the comparison of Allen's knuckle-curve to Mariano's cutter. They are nearly identical in actual numbers over large sample sizes. Mariano basically threw that as his only pitch whereas Allen mixes a fastball in more.

If that knuckle-curve creates such fantastic results he really should employ it more. It will make his fastball play up a little better if they keep whiffing on the k-curve.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

I should note I wanted everyone to see the comparison of Allen's knuckle-curve to Mariano's cutter. They are nearly identical in actual numbers over large sample sizes. Mariano basically threw that as his only pitch whereas Allen mixes a fastball in more.

If that knuckle-curve creates such fantastic results he really should employ it more. It will make his fastball play up a little better if they keep whiffing on the k-curve.

Especially if Doug White can find that 1mph lost on the heat

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cool now see what SF wants for Smith or Wilson, then check on the price of Holland to be the set up guy.  

Man if we could offload Cozart for Smith that would be great. Then let one of Rengifo, Fletcher become our leadoff hitter at 2B.

Smith, Allen, Buttrey, Anderson, Robles and some of our other candidates make for a solid BP. Even as it stands now we're looking good, but Smith would make us GREAT. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man if we could offload Cozart for Smith that would be great. Then let one of Rengifo, Fletcher become our leadoff hitter at 2B.

Smith, Allen, Buttrey, Anderson, Robles and some of our other candidates make for a solid BP. Even as it stands now we're looking good, but Smith would make us GREAT. 

Smith would make us look great, but I doubt they would be interested in Cozart coming off such a down year.

Also, I'd bet you that Cozart has better numbers in 2019 than Fletcher. Fletcher is a better defending Johnny G, or maybe as good as Eckstein. Cozart had a .900 OPS season recently. Cozart I think is the leadoff hitter in games he plays, whereas Fletcher, Ward, or Renfigo will be in the bottom 3, they are 7-8-9 hitters.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If Cozart has an ops above .700 in 2019, I will be very surprised.  

I see your point, but its worth noting that all three of fangraph's projections put him above .700 OPS, as does baseball reference's projection. Obviously no one knows the future, and projections may fail to see a sudden regression, but...if I had to put down money, I think I'd typically agree with them - especially when they all point in the same direction like that.

Edit- and yes, I realize .700 is a low bar. But, if he returned to his career norm and put out about 2 WAR with some defense, I think I could deal with it.