• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cody Allen

Ochocinco!

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

there haven't been any takers for Machado, Harper, Pollock, Kimbrel and Gonzales.

is that telling?

How is Allen in their class? I'm not saying something is definitely wrong, but I wonder why there hasn't been as much talk with Allen as some of the other agents who were signed.

Just now, Torridd said:

How is Allen in their class? I'm not saying something is definitely wrong, but I wonder why there hasn't been as much talk with Allen as some of the other agents who were signed.

because he settled on the Angels since we would give him the opportunity to be a closer and they've been negotiating contract terms? 

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

Help with this part?

Walks were up, velocity dipped -- got rocked in three games that slanted the overall numbers.   I think most of this has been said in the thread.   Allen is a name brand guy coming off a subpar year.  Some will cling to his history, others will not be able to look past his ERA last year.  At the end of the day he's pretty much what people were clamoring for, an established guy with a track record who may help solidify things.   I'd like to see another RP added but that's just me.

45 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Walks were up, velocity dipped -- got rocked in three games that slanted the overall numbers.   I think most of this has been said in the thread.   Allen is a name brand guy coming off a subpar year.  Some will cling to his history, others will not be able to look past his ERA last year.  At the end of the day he's pretty much what people were clamoring for, an established guy with a track record who may help solidify things.   I'd like to see another RP added but that's just me.

I agree. 1 more reliable vet, like Holland would be nice. Should Allen falter, Holland can step in and close until someone like Buttrey is ready to take over.

Fangraphs projects him to be our best reliever, by WAR (note - these numbers are a bit funky for relievers, because WAR is a cumulative stats, so projected IP has a big influence in a relievers WAR production); and a top 3 reliever by ERA. If he manages to bounce back a bit, this could be a great signing. 8.5 million feels like a bit of an overpay, but...that also may just be where the market is...

Another way to look at Cody Allen's 2018:

Opening Day to 7/7: 
37 games, 36 IP
3.25 ERA, 13 BB, 44 K, 5 HRA

7/10:
1 game, 0.2 IP
81.00 ERA, 2 BB, 1 K, 0 HRA

7/13 to 9/26:
30 games, 29.2 IP
3.03 ERA, 16 BB, 33 K, 6 HRA

9/28 & 9/29:
2 games, 0.2 IP
81.00 ERA, 2 BB, 2 K, 0 HRA

The HR allowed is of concern, but he was arguably 'good' in 96% of his appearances, if you consider a 3.14 ERA, 29 BB, 77 K in 65.2 IP 'good' for a reliever.
I wouldn't classify that as a dominant, elite reliever or even the ideal line for a closer, but that's pretty good in my book. 

Honestly, it feels like we bought a more expensive, proven version of Blake Parker with a much higher ceiling.

I'd say we have roughly a...
25% chance we get peak Cody Allen return to form,
25% chance he underperforms, and a
50% chance we get the same production we got from Blake in '17-'18.

Odds are strong that we're able to flip him in July for something useful too, if there's need. Eppler may also be able to roll a couple of these 1-yr vets into a package for one rich team with a deep farm for one pretty good prospect too. A team like Atlanta, who Billy trades with a lot, could have a ton of interest in a healthy Harvey and Allen come July.

Edited by totdprods