• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

My exact point. The Orioles beat good teams. The Bees have a lot of talent on their roster with Walsh, Thaiss, Ward, Rengifo and Rojas. With Canning on the mound versus Cahill...I think the Bees would win.

Pitching is important and you can't predict ball.

Canning would also have to leave the game after 5 innings and the MLB team would then score about 10+ runs off the AAA bullpen

52 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

So what's the scoop on Brandon Marsh's injury?

And can we package Maitan, C Rod, and Jones for Forrest Whitley?

Marsh is on the IL and still with the club.  Jammed his finger on the stolen base.  Sounds like he'll be back soon

and that package wouldn't get us Forrest Gump right now.  

37 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

Who is Robinson Pina and should I start paying attention to him?

http://www.statcorner.com/pitch/673820/Robinson-Pina

(I love that site)

So it shows his xRA (fancy era) as 3.62 compared to league avg of 4.44 or a xRA+ of 118 which means he's performing 18% above league avg so far with a so% of 24.5 which is pretty much league avg.  

I don't know much about his stuff 

other pitchers to have on the radar from Burlington: 

Jake Lee (moved to A+)
Cris Molina 
Ben Morrison 

Lee and Morrison are old for level but both senior signs in the 2018 draft (9th and 10th rounders).  Probably future relievers. 

Kyle Tyler is another that has been doing well at Burlington.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

http://www.statcorner.com/pitch/673820/Robinson-Pina

(I love that site)

So it shows his xRA (fancy era) as 3.62 compared to league avg of 4.44 or a xRA+ of 118 which means he's performing 18% above league avg so far with a so% of 24.5 which is pretty much league avg.  

I don't know much about his stuff 

Their usage of park effects and normalizing for the league is sooo good.   I love the stuff they track too -- a lot of predictive data that you can't find anywhere else than on Stats.inc's paywall.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Their usage of park effects and normalizing for the league is sooo good.   I love the stuff they track too -- a lot of predictive data that you can't find anywhere else than on Stats.inc's paywall.

I've been using statcast for a few years now.  I love it for the park factors and RBBIP. 

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

it's helpful at putting things in perspective.  

Like Torii Jr who has a .660 ops right now but his wOBA+ is 105 which means he's actually doing above avg for the league factors.  In other words, stuff like that helps to actually quantify the cold weather factor.  

Here's another tidbit that I think will make everyone very happy:

Jordyn Adams k rate is pretty high, but it's not from swinging and missing.  his kswiging rate is 17.7% which is below league avg.  His klooking rate is 11.5% and the league avg is 6.7%.  Also, his babip is .246 because he's got a 59% ground ball rate.  So when he swings, he's making contact an appropriate amount of time.  It bodes well that he will improve with better recognition and hitting more fly balls and line drives.  

Same thing for Jam Jones as well.  He's k'd looking 14.6% of the time.  League avg is 5.9%.  K swinging rate is 13.0% with a league avg of 18.1%.  His GB rate is at an all time high of 55% and a RBBIP of .221.  League avg is .315.  

I am sure they've got these guys working on something (ie plate discipline) and there could be a mechanical tweak with their setup or swing plane that needs to be fixed.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it's helpful at putting things in perspective.  

Like Torii Jr who has a .660 ops right now but his wOBA+ is 105 which means he's actually doing above avg for the league factors.  In other words, stuff like that helps to actually quantify the cold weather factor.  

Here's another tidbit that I think will make everyone very happy:

Jordyn Adams k rate is pretty high, but it's not from swinging and missing.  his kswiging rate is 17.7% which is below league avg.  His klooking rate is 11.5% and the league avg is 6.7%.  Also, his babip is .246 because he's got a 59% ground ball rate.  So when he swings, he's making contact an appropriate amount of time.  It bodes well that he will improve with better recognition and hitting more fly balls and line drives.  

Same thing for Jam Jones as well.  He's k'd looking 14.6% of the time.  League avg is 5.9%.  K swinging rate is 13.0% with a league avg of 18.1%.  His GB rate is at an all time high of 55% and a RBBIP of .221.  League avg is .315.  

I am sure they've got these guys working on something (ie plate discipline) and there could be a mechanical tweak with their setup or swing plane that needs to be fixed.  

Amen!

THIS is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about when I said we'd be able to get a better picture of what is happening.   It's a pain that they have to wait for there to be a large enough sample for them to create the weights and get those better looks at what is happening but once they start, it's amazing.

Easy to navigate too.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

they are definitely having them work on something specific.  

Same thing is going on with Marsh.  at looking of 15.5% and swinging of 14.6% and a GB rate of 60.0%.  

weird.  

There seems to be something happening on the pitching side -- check out all the guys seeing a jump in GB rates...    There are things happening we aren't privy to, things that will end up paying off for the organization.

This is the sort of system wide stuff I had been wanting to see the Angels employ.   It's nice to see it happening.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There seems to be something happening on the pitching side -- check out all the guys seeing a jump in GB rates...    There are things happening we aren't privy to, things that will end up paying off for the organization.

This is the sort of system wide stuff I had been wanting to see the Angels employ.   It's nice to see it happening.

Jose Rodriguez has an era of 7.63 but an FIP of 3.14 and xRA+ of 133.  His GB rate is 51.1% so far.  Last year three years 39.8, 36.4, and 38.9.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Jeremy Beasley at 61.2% this year.  About 45% last year.  

There are a bunch of them -- also, I like how they have the splits separated to show both data as SP and as RP...   Again, it gives us some insight into how the change in usage is manifesting itself statistically.

Looking at the spike in GB% makes me wonder that since the club is privvy to the same information (better even), how likely would you consider an Andrelton Simmons extension.  It's great and all that Fletcher and Rengifo are capable (VERY capable in Fletcher's case) shortstop, but Simmons is operating at a completely different level. 

And moreover, if 3B does indeed end up being Fletcher's spot and Rengifo takes hold of 2B, that infield coupled with higher GB rates could result in a sneaky-effective starting rotation.  I say sneaky mostly because guys like Ohtani and Canning aren't going to surprise anyone if they dominate, but some of these other, lesser heralded pitchers that keep the ball on the ground?  That'll surprise a lot of folks. 

I don’t think Fletcher has to be locked into one position.  Currently he can play 2B, SS, 3B and LF.  That’s great versatility.  And he’s very good at MIF positions. Maybe he’s our guy as a super utility.  The Dodgers do this very successfully with Kiké Hernández.  The Cubs did it with Ben Zobrist.  It makes sense and gives the team lots of flexibility and depth.  

The Angels should still seek to get a 3B that profiles in the traditional way.  And while I like Rengifo let’s see what he does with more MLB exposure.  Maybe he doesn’t work and Fletcher is our guy at 2B.  Im hoping that he does and the Angels can use Fletcher as described above.  David Fletcher is a good player and he’ll have a role no matter what. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Fletcher and Rengifo will likely be 2B/UT for years to come - both versatile players. It would seem that the Angels are grooming Thaiss as the third baseman of the future, which implies they don't have faith in Ward. Or maybe Thaiss and Ward will be 3B/CI in the same way that Fletchifo will be 2B/MI. 

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Amen!

THIS is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about when I said we'd be able to get a better picture of what is happening.   It's a pain that they have to wait for there to be a large enough sample for them to create the weights and get those better looks at what is happening but once they start, it's amazing.

Easy to navigate too.

Doesn't matter how easy it is, I'd still need you, doc, and scotty to dumb it down for the rest of us.