• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm really starting to think that Skaggs and Heaney don't have a future with this club beyond their arbitration years, both due to their erraticness but also the rise of our pitching prospects.

2022 rotation: Ohtani, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Soriano, C Rodriguez (with Hernandez, Bradish, Madero, Swanda, Duensing, Aquino in the mix)

Soriano and C-Rod might not be ready by then. C-Rod has his injury bug so far and Soriano is going to need to get his command in check.

But Suarez and Sandoval absolutely. I'm ready to see Suarez this year. Kick Cahill's ass to the curb if he keeps this 'pitching' thing going how it is.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That's the best thing about most of the Angels top prospects -- including the ones that are viewed as tanking currently.   They are all very young.

Tanking? Like theyre all eating salads and watching iron eagle?

One of the pros of having so many of these guys so young (aside from aging curve) is that we will finally have an actual core. Not just random guys called up at vastly different times.

If say 4 of these guys are ready to go in 3 years, I think that will be a huge boost to finally balancing things out at the big league level.

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think both Soriano and Sandoval have a solid chance to be considered top 100 prospects in the game.  Crod would be to, but he's a question mark.

I liked that Bradish pick, always felt there was still upside left in him.  

That's pretty optimistic.  I'm not saying they won't be, but it takes a lot for the professional bloggers (they aren't evaluators, even if everyone treats them like they are) to put no-hype international signings and "soft tossers" into their top 100.  Most of those lists are built on upside, not typically performance driven.  Granted, Soriano has that upside but because he hasn't hyped as an amateur, it takes a while for other folks to catch on. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's pretty optimistic.  I'm not saying they won't be, but it takes a lot for the professional bloggers (they aren't evaluators, even if everyone treats them like they are) to put no-hype international signings and "soft tossers" into their top 100.  Most of those lists are built on upside, not typically performance driven.  Granted, Soriano has that upside but because he hasn't hyped as an amateur, it takes a while for other folks to catch on. 

Longenhagen at Fangraphs has liked Soriano for awhile. They're strangely bearish on Canning, though. 

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Scotty, how would you compare Aquino's raw stuff (and upside) to C Rod and Soriano? 

I've never seen Aquino pitch before with a gun on him, at least not in my memory.  But I will say this, his delivery and strength based on the one video I found of him on YouTube, he reminds me a little bit of Garrett Richards.  And Garrett Richards is the best Angels pitching prospect, at least in terms of arsenal that I've ever seen.  Upper nineties fastball with crazy movement, outstanding curve ball, one of the best sliders in the game, a two-seamer that seems downright unpredictable and unhittable and even a change up that dives.  Couple all of that with a pitcher's frame and to me, he looked like a sure-fire ace.  

If he could've stayed healthy, he would've been.

Aquino, at least according to the scouting reports Ive read, seems to have a fastball that comes close to Richards, which would probably put him on par with C-Rod and Soriano.  And I know I'm among the few, but I believe Jose Soriano is a better pitching prospect than Rodriguez.  But they just have different obstacles to overcome.  Soriano, learning how to keep it in the strike zone, and Rodriguez, simply staying healthy.  Aquino, just my guess but he's a combination of the two.  Needs to stay healthy and needs to develop as a pitcher. 

Edited by Second Base

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, and Longenhagen is a lot better than his predecessor.  Two guys watch the same pitcher and come to different conclusions. 

Who was that?  For the life of me I can't remember who else did minor league stuff for them save for the two guys that are currently working for MLB teams and Longenhagen.

Kiley McDaniel used to do their prospect stuff -- he currently works for the Atlanta Braves as their West coast cross-checker after spending a year or two as their Asst Director of Baseball operations.  Prior to that he spent ten years in baseball ops with the Yankees, Orioles and I think it was the Pirates and did stuff with Scout and I think BBProspectus.   I remember Cistulli doing the fringe five and stuff - but his slant was always purely sabermetric and his work sound enough that he is currently employed by the Toronto Blue Jays.   Never thought of him as a scout type so much as a saber analysis guy...    

I seriously can't think of who else was there.   I must have not thought much of their work because I seriously can't remember anyone else.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Thanks, @Second Base. I've got a good feeling about Aquino - looking forward to see him start playing. AZL or Orem, presumably.

Would you say these three have the highest upside in terms of pure arsenal in the minors?

In the Angels minor league system, if we're discounting Canning because he's in the majors, I'd say that's pretty accurate.  I think maybe Aaron Hernandez can jump into that conversation at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Kiley McDaniel still does stuff for Fangraphs - he did a chat just yesterday.

Who else was there.  It's bugging me now...   There had to have been someone else ..  I dont recall Cistulli ever being THE prospect guy...

Edited by Inside Pitch

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Who was that?  For the life of me I can't remember who else did minor league stuff for them save for the two guys that are currently working for MLB teams and Longenhagen.

Kiley McDaniel used to do their prospect stuff -- he currently works for the Atlanta Braves as their West coast cross-checker after spending a year or two as their Asst Director of Baseball operations.  Prior to that he spent ten years in baseball ops with the Yankees, Orioles and I think it was the Pirates and did stuff with Scout and I think BBProspectus.   I remember Cistulli doing the fringe five and stuff - but his slant was always purely sabermetric and his work sound enough that he is currently employed by the Toronto Blue Jays.   Never thought of him as a scout type so much as a saber analysis guy...    

I seriously can't think of who else was there.   I must have not thought much of their work because I seriously can't remember anyone else.

Marc Hulet was the one that used to write their scouting reports for the Angels.  That guy's information was so inaccurate it came across as lazy.  I like Longenhagen and McDaniel. 

Just now, Second Base said:

Marc Hulet was the one that used to write their scouting reports for the Angels.  That guy's information was so inaccurate it came across as lazy.  I like Longenhagen and McDaniel. 

Duuuude...  THANK YOU! 

I was going to blow a blood vessel trying to remember someone else.    Yeah, I think he worked on their roto side and was asked to help out or fill in until they found more qualified people.. 
I agree most of his stuff read like he looked around the internet and just culled opinions.

Agree on the other guys.   Longenhagen does a really good job of looking at a wide range of players too.

9 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Talk about having your head screwed on right at age 19?

Props to Jo!

I hope we arent setting ourselves up for heartbreak. Adell seems like hes going to be really good.

Rather than expect greatness from him, Im hoping for torii jr (not the actual one). Im hoping we get similar torii offense (translated to today), torii defense, and the likeability factor. 

Hector Yan needs to be in the same conversation as Jose Soriano, in my opinion. 4 IP, one hit, zero runs, zero walks, 5 strikeouts last night.
Yan might wind up more as a reliever with his size and control issues, but either way, these two are encouraging.

Yan, LHP, 5'11", 180, 20 years old:
3.81 ERA, .215 BAA, 1.42 WHIP
26 IP, 20 hits 17 walks, 36 strikeouts (12.5 K9)

Soriano, RHP, 6'3", 170, 20 years old:
1.72 ERA, .196 BAA, 1.31 WHIP
31.1 IP, 21 hits 20 walks, 30 strikeouts (9.2 K9)

• May 10, 2019

Salt Lake (11-23) won 8-7 in 11 innings vs. Las Vegas (Athletics) (21-15)

• Rengifo (LF): 3-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB (3), OF assist
  • Ward (DH-1B): 2-6, R, 2B, HR (5), 3 RBI
  • Thaiss (3B): 0-4, BB
  • Walsh (1B-P): 1-4, BB, K, and one clean IP, save
  • Puello (RF): 1-5, R, HR (4), 2 RBI, 3 K
  • Sandoval (AAA debut): 4 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, HR - 86 pitches, 50 strikes
  • Rhoades: 2 IP, 2 H, 4 K
  • Jewell: 2 IP, 2 BB, 4 K
  • Rojas: did not play - last 9 games, 4-36 (.111 BA, one BB, 14 K in 38 PA)

Mobile (15-18) won 1-0 vs. Jacksonville (Marlins) (11-23) in 7 innings, Game One of Doubleheader

• Jones (2B): 2-3, 2B, R,
  • Cowart (1B): 1-3
  • Madero: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K - 86 pitches, 61 strikes
  • Gatto: IP, H, - in 9 G/18.2 IP, 0.96 ERA, .177 BAA, 1.02 WHIP - 8 BB, 18 K

Mobile (15-19) lost 4-7 vs. Jacksonville (Marlins) (12-23) in 7 innings, Game Two of Doubleheader

• Jones (2B): 1-3, R, K
  • Cowart (DH): 1-3, HR (1), R, RBI
  • Beasley: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, HR
  • Hofacket: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 K
  • Clark: 2 IP, H, 3 K - 3.38 ERA on the year in 13.1 IP, with 7 BB, 18 K

Inland Empire (16-19) won 7-2 vs. Stockton (Athletics) (14-21)

• Rivas (SS): 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI, K
  • Hunter (DH): 0-3, BB, K
  • Vega (LF): 2-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB
  • Criswell: 5 IP, H, ER, BB, 3 K
  • Wantz: 4 IP, H, ER, 2 BB, 5 K

Burlington (21-14) won 9-4 at Dayton (Reds) (12-22)

• Adams (CF): 2-5, 3 R, 2B, HR (2), RBI, K, SB (4)
  • Maitan (3B): 2-5, R, K, SB (2) - hitting .293 in last 10 games
  • N. Williams (RF): 0-5, 3 K
  • Pineda (2B): 2-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 K
  • Arendas (DH): 3-5, R, 3B, HR (4), 2 RBI, K
  • Duensing: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, HR - still keeping his walks in check, a great sign
  • Yan: 4 IP, H, 5 K - 36 strikeouts in 26 innings
    Edited by totdprods

The Angels are getting dominant pitching from someone pretty much every night his week.

• 5/10:
      • Inland Empire's 2-hitter with Criswell and Wantz, 
      • Mobile has a 7-inning, 3-hit shut out with Madero 
    • 5/09:
      • Inland Empire: Bradish, Tavarez, and Mattson strike out 15, walking one, in a 10 inning shutout
      • Soriano and Krzeminski combine for a one-hit shutout vs. Dayton, striking out 11
    • 5/08:
      • Burlington: Pina's 5 IP, 1-hit, 0 BB, 10 K performance
    • 5/07
      • At Mobile, Alexander 8 IP, one-hit, 0 BB, 9 K vs. Jacksonville, with a Cowart save!
      • At AAA, Peters 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K
    • 5/06
      • Burlington: Swanda and Molina combine for 9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
      • Mobile: Castillo almost gets a complete game, 8.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 K
    Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The Angels are getting dominant pitching from someone pretty much every night his week.

• 5/10:
      • Inland Empire's 2-hitter with Criswell and Wantz, 
      • Mobile has a 7-inning, 3-hit shut out with Madero 
    • 5/09:
      • Inland Empire: Bradish, Tavarez, and Mattson strike out 15, walking one, in a 10 inning shutout
      • Soriano and Krzeminski combine for a one-hit shutout vs. Dayton, striking out 11
    • 5/08:
      • Burlington: Pina's 5 IP, 1-hit, 0 BB, 10 K performance
    • 5/07
      • At Mobile, Alexander 8 IP, one-hit, 0 BB, 9 K vs. Jacksonville, with a Cowart save!
      • At AAA, Peters 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K
    • 5/06
      • Burlington: Swanda and Molina combine for 9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
      • Mobile: Castillo almost gets a complete game, 8.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 K

Last year people thought the bats took a step forward and the pitchers comparably took a step back or failed to progress.  This year the arms are off to strong starts, while the bats were off to sluggish starts...  Just goes to show why they call it player development and why we as fans can't obsess over every had start or string of 50 at bats.  Across the board of weeks the Angels have made real changes to their development process.  Many of the pitchers at the lower levels seem to be working in tandem, all of the hitters seem to be working with some personalized swing mechanics and positional versatility seems to have become a key part of the development process. As many have said patience is key, but it's working and there is a lot to be excited about.