• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Walsh, Ward, and Rojas have all homered for the Bees today

They're looking great!  Walsh does seem like he could potentially be the LH part of a 1B platoon, but I understand the desire to keep him in AAA for now - he needs more pitching reps right now, so that he can be a versatile player for us in the future.

Ward is making good improvements this year, at least offensively - improved BB%, lower K%, much higher ISO (though likely in part due to the new baseballs being used in AAA), significantly lower BABIP (which suggests his performance is "real" and not a mirage).  His defense, though, is pretty rough on the whole, so he does need more reps all over the place to help increase his value.

In terms of the big league club, I'd say our offense is actually rather good on the whole.  The areas we need to consider on improving are 1B and C (or well, at least Lucroy), but with Pujols and Bour platooning at first .. seems like that's the way we'll roll, at least for now.  I can live with mediocrity at those two positions, considering we're getting strong performances pretty much everywhere else (except for when Cozart starts).

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

They're looking great!  Walsh does seem like he could potentially be the LH part of a 1B platoon, but I understand the desire to keep him in AAA for now - he needs more pitching reps right now, so that he can be a versatile player for us in the future.

Ward is making good improvements this year, at least offensively - improved BB%, lower K%, much higher ISO (though likely in part due to the new baseballs being used in AAA), significantly lower BABIP (which suggests his performance is "real" and not a mirage).  His defense, though, is pretty rough on the whole, so he does need more reps all over the place to help increase his value.

In terms of the big league club, I'd say our offense is actually rather good on the whole.  The areas we need to consider on improving are 1B and C (or well, at least Lucroy), but with Pujols and Bour platooning at first .. seems like that's the way we'll roll, at least for now.  I can live with mediocrity at those two positions, considering we're getting strong performances pretty much everywhere else (except for when Cozart starts).

Lucroy has a 98 OPS+ that's pretty damn good for a catcher. Not sure it's realistic to think we'll be able to upgrade there without spending a lot of money or talent.

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's crazy that someone that's been around seemingly forever, in Nonie Williams is still only 20 years old. 

That was my thought as well. His birthday is next week so he's really 21, but if I would have guessed before that post I would have guessed he was at least 23.

under the radar guy Gleyvin Pineda went 2/3 with a bb in his A+ debut after getting promoted 

Time to promote Hanewich.  1.00 era overall with 6k in 2.2ip tonight.  

Jones is 10-28 with 4 xbh, 5bb, 4k in his last 9 games.  

Marsh isn't excelling by any stretch, but his peripherals are good and a couple good games with some xbh could make his number look pretty good.  

A few quick notes following yesterday's games:

Salt Lake:

• After being blasted for 9 ER in 3.2 IP between 4/17 and 4/24, Jeremy Rhoades has allowed only one run and 5 hits in 11 IP while walking one and striking out 13.
  • Cesar Puello has a .500 OBP over the last month (4/14 - 5/14) in 112 PA, 26 games.
  • Taylor Ward....303/.438/.663/1.100 with 16 XBH, 20 BB, 20 K in 23 games.

Mobile:

• Jahmai's last nine games: .357/.455/.607/1.062 with 4 XBH, 5 walks, 4 strikeouts.
    • .733 OPS in May

Inland Empire:

• Two new minor league free agents joined the 66ers in recent days.
    • 1B Devin Davis - 22 years old, 6'3", 215, b:R/t:R, former 25th Rd. pick of Tampa (2015)
      • Has a minor league career slash of .277/.360/.446/.806 
        • In 2017, posted .294/.372/.532/.904 as a 20-year old in Rookie ball, with 31 XBH, 27 BB, 48 K in only 250 PA
        • He also pitched a couple innings last year..
    • C Michael Cruz - 23 years old, 5'11", 210, b:L/t:R, former 7th Rd. pick of Cubs (2016)
      • Career minor league slash of .234/.327/.411/.738
        • In 2017, posted .247/.354/.464/.818 with 23 XBH, 25 BB, 31 K in A/A+ as 21-yr old
        • 73 BB to 103 K in career
        • Eppler's team has done a good job finding catchers - see Arcia, Hudson, Briceno, Maldonado, Smith

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Isaac Mattson is the next Justin Anderson.  

now in mobile with 35k in 23ip between AA/A+.  

in 2+ seasons, 2.85 era with 167k in 148.2ip.  

he's a guy that everyone wonders where he came from when in spring of 2020 he impresses and becomes a pen option.  

I don't think anyone can be the next Justin Anderson...dude came from freaking nowhere. 

In 2017, at A+/AA, his first year in relief, he had a 5.04 ERA, and allowed 60 hits, 31 walks and only 42 strikeouts (5.9 K9!!!) in 64 innings.
Before that, 2014-2016, he had a K9 of 6.5, only striking out 238 in 317 innings - while giving up 381 hits, and walking 114. 

All of the sudden in 2018 and 2019 he's unhittable (only 55 in 81 innings) and striking out twice as many (108, for a K9 of 14.)

Craziest turnaround I've ever seen from a pitching prospect. Mattson has always looked like a great relief prospect.

Edited by totdprods