• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Barria looked pretty meh tonight.  4.2 ip, 6h, 3er, 3bb, 4k.  Not great D around him from Tovar and Puello.  Bridwell let up an inherited runner.  Ward had a chance to throw him out at home but didn't come close (way off line from LF).  Barria had 90 pitches over his 4.2ip.   

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Not counting tonight, he’s hitting .271/.338/.339/.677 in his last 65 PA. Not a lot of power but the contact and discipline numbers are improving and he’s still very young for the league. Younger than Adams even. If he can get the hitting back on track overall, the power will come along. 

Power is always the last tool to develop. Even Trout's power didn't develop until 20 and wasn't fully developed until 22 and still didn't reach its current level until 26. For most guys, it's more like 22 and 25. They never have that third elite stage. Just me guessing but Maitan probably won't really power up until next year at 21. That's kind of what I'm banking in with Marsh but the swing may not be conducive. And Adell, he has it at 19, it'll probably reach another level at 21, in time for his rookie year.

Kyle Bradish - 5ip, 7h, 0er, 1bb, 9k.  Started the sixth and gave up 2 hits but the pen bailed him out.  

IE has had almost no games on milb.tv this year.  Kind of a bummer as I was hoping to watch Bradish tonight.  

Bradish now has 32k in 28.2ip this year with a sub 2 era.  

39 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Kyle Bradish - 5ip, 7h, 0er, 1bb, 9k.  Started the sixth and gave up 2 hits but the pen bailed him out.  

IE has had almost no games on milb.tv this year.  Kind of a bummer as I was hoping to watch Bradish tonight.  

Bradish now has 32k in 28.2ip this year with a sub 2 era.  

Do you see Bradish's ceiling as a backend starter type or mid? He was fairly high ranked entering the draft if I remember correctly.

8 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Do you see Bradish's ceiling as a backend starter type or mid? He was fairly high ranked entering the draft if I remember correctly.

Haven't seen much of him but I've heard it depends on his third pitch.  From what I can tell he does have upside as better than a 4/5 due to a good fastball and plus curve.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Haven't seen much of him but I've heard it depends on his third pitch.  From what I can tell he does have upside as better than a 4/5 due to a good fastball and plus curve.  

His college stadium in Las Cruces, NM was a definite hitting environment, being at around a 3,500 foot altitude.  Takes a lot for a pitcher to succeed there.

A little blurb on Patrick Sandoval a few days ago in their Fantasy Baseball: April Dynasty Stock Report segment. 

Surging

Patrick Sandoval, Angels (-1.3 RAA)

Sandoval’s 3.62 ERA and negative RAA are misleading and largely attributable to an uncharacteristically high walk rate. In fact, the lefthander recorded one of the highest swinging-strike rates and FIPs in the minors in April. Look for Sandoval to iron out his control at Triple-A Salt Lake. Some scouts say his changeup could be a 70-grade weapon.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yah.  that place is a joke actually and Bradish was incredible.  best pitcher in the WAC that year by far.  

Yup,  been talking about that since he was drafted.... 

No idea how good he will be but keeping the ball in that park as well as he did was pretty amazing...  Nearly 300 innings pitched in the WAC, 17 total home runs allowed.... Career worst HR/9 was 0.83 as a freshman, 0.23 his final year (Jr.).    

Annoying the 66ers are never on milb.tv

Angels RHP prospect Jose Soriano fired six no-hit innings on Thursday for Low-A Burlington.

Soriano didn't allow a hit, and he walked three while striking out nine. With all due respect to Griffin Canning, Soriano might have the best pure stuff of any pitcher in the Angels' system. The 20-year-old touches 98 mph with his heater, and on top of that double-plus fastball, he shows a plus breaking-ball. The issue with Soriano is command, as he struggles to repeat his delivery and puts too many on via walk (20 in 31 1/3 innings so far). He could be lights out as a reliever, but the Angels are wisely going to see if he can start. If he can, the upside is palpable.

30 minutes ago, Lou said:

Angels RHP prospect Jose Soriano fired six no-hit innings on Thursday for Low-A Burlington.

Soriano didn't allow a hit, and he walked three while striking out nine. With all due respect to Griffin Canning, Soriano might have the best pure stuff of any pitcher in the Angels' system. The 20-year-old touches 98 mph with his heater, and on top of that double-plus fastball, he shows a plus breaking-ball. The issue with Soriano is command, as he struggles to repeat his delivery and puts too many on via walk (20 in 31 1/3 innings so far). He could be lights out as a reliever, but the Angels are wisely going to see if he can start. If he can, the upside is palpable.

It's been said a few times before, but last year, if Jose Soriano were born in America, he'd have gone top 10 in the draft.  We all have our own ranking preferences, but I've noticed that he's continually one of the more under-ranked or over-looked prospects in the system.  Tall, lanky pitchers body, mid-to-upper 90's fastball, exploding slider and solid mechanics.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

That's the best thing about most of the Angels top prospects -- including the ones that are viewed as tanking currently.   They are all very young.

there's absolutely still collateral damage to what JD and co did.  we've actually got decent pitching depth throughout the org now although most of it is mid rotation level at best.  In about a year or two, I think we're going to have a very large stockpile of high velo relievers that will continue to feed the major league club.  

If there was ever a move that Eppler has brought from his Yankee days, it's that.  Not only is it create cheap help but the asset value at the deadline in particular is huge.  I would not do it right now, but when you look at the return the yanks got for guys like Chapman and Miller, it's very tempting to move a high end reliever or two if you've got the depth to cover it.  

Billy and Swanny (yes on purpose) drafted those types of players from the 5th round and beyond last year.  College pitchers with velo and at least one good secondary pitch.  The other key component for slots 6-10 was saving pool money.  

some 2019 stats for the 2018 draft:
6th round - Austin Warren - 1.76 era with 22k in 15.1 ip in A+
7th round - Andrew Wantz - 3.47 era with 24k in 23.1ip in A+and 71k in 46.1ip overall including last year.  
8th round - Tyler Smith - 0.96 era in 9.1ip with 7k.  
9th round - Jake Lee - 3.81 era in 26ip with 38k.  4 of 6 appearances as a starter.  3.26 era including last year with 68k in 49.2ip.  
10th round - Ben Morrison - 0.59 era in 15.1ip with 17k at A ball.  

the Angels used $30k in pool money to sign those players last year

getting draft capital from those slots is actually pretty rare as we have seen.  They'll all likely end up relievers.  

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there's absolutely still collateral damage to what JD and co did.  we've actually got decent pitching depth throughout the org now although most of it is mid rotation level at best.  In about a year or two, I think we're going to have a very large stockpile of high velo relievers that will continue to feed the major league club.  

If there was ever a move that Eppler has brought from his Yankee days, it's that.  Not only is it create cheap help but the asset value at the deadline in particular is huge.  I would not do it right now, but when you look at the return the yanks got for guys like Chapman and Miller, it's very tempting to move a high end reliever or two if you've got the depth to cover it.  

Billy and Swanny (yes on purpose) drafted those types of players from the 5th round and beyond last year.  College pitchers with velo and at least one good secondary pitch.  The other key component for slots 6-10 was saving pool money.  

some 2019 stats for the 2018 draft:
6th round - Austin Warren - 1.76 era with 22k in 15.1 ip in A+
7th round - Andrew Wantz - 3.47 era with 24k in 23.1ip in A+and 71k in 46.1ip overall including last year.  
8th round - Tyler Smith - 0.96 era in 9.1ip with 7k.  
9th round - Jake Lee - 3.81 era in 26ip with 38k.  4 of 6 appearances as a starter.  3.26 era including last year with 68k in 49.2ip.  
10th round - Ben Morrison - 0.59 era in 15.1ip with 17k at A ball.  

the Angels used $30k in pool money to sign those players last year

getting draft capital from those slots is actually pretty rare as we have seen.  They'll all likely end up relievers.  

Getting that sort of performance from rounds 5-10 for only 30k is absolutely insane.  Other teams have to be looking at what Eppler's done in hopes of emulating it. 

31 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If Sandoval's change up does grade out over 60, he maybe one of the biggest steals. I think his ceiling is increasing as he grows.

A 90-94 MPH fastball plays up when you have a sick changeup in the low 80's, upper 70's. That combined with a couple of breaking balls that rate as average offerings, Sandoval has all the makings of possibly being a good #3 guy if his command improves. 

Check out episode 208: http://www.milb.com/milb/news/podcast.jsp

43 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

A 90-94 MPH fastball plays up when you have a sick changeup in the low 80's, upper 70's. That combined with a couple of breaking balls that rate as average offerings, Sandoval has all the makings of possibly being a good #3 guy if his command improves. 

Check out episode 208: http://www.milb.com/milb/news/podcast.jsp

The Angels have a pretty good history of trading catchers to the Astros and getting the better end of the deal. 

2014 - Angels trade Hank Conger to the Astros in return for Carlos Perez and Nick Tropeano.  Conger was an offense-first catcher that couldn't get any footing offensively, which made him a negative value asset at catcher.  Carlos Perez had a couple of good seasons with the Angels, was even a finalist for a Gold Glove.  And Nick Tropeano, much like Pat Sandoval, was also an Astros pitcher with impressive minor league numbers, low 90's fastball and great change up.  The Angels got some value out of him as a pitcher before injuries took hold of his career.  He's just now getting healthy and if he remains healthy, he could be an effective back-end starter or solid multi-inning reliever.  His career as a major league starter is far from over in my opinion.

2018- Angels trade Martin Maldonado to the Astros in return for Pat Sandoval - Maldonado was a rental as a backup catcher and is now with the Royals, not having made much of a difference for Houston.  Sandoval's arsenal remains similar to Tropeano.  Low-90's fastball, great change up, questionable breaking pitches.  The main difference between the two is that Sandoval has greater swing and miss tendencies and is healthy.  At some point, he figures to be a solid back-end starter for somebody, the way that Tropeano was before injury. 

I'm really starting to think that Skaggs and Heaney don't have a future with this club beyond their arbitration years, both due to their erraticness but also the rise of our pitching prospects.

2022 rotation: Ohtani, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Soriano, C Rodriguez (with Hernandez, Bradish, Madero, Swanda, Duensing, Aquino in the mix)

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm really starting to think that Skaggs and Heaney don't have a future with this club beyond their arbitration years, both due to their erraticness but also the rise of our pitching prospects.

2022 rotation: Ohtani, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Soriano, C Rodriguez (with Hernandez, Bradish, Madero, Swanda, Duensing, Aquino in the mix)

I agree. I think it would be best for us to expect the worst with Skaggs/Heaney and just hope for the best. 

I don't think they're going to be around post arb years as well. But, I hope i'm wrong and they turn their careers around. That means staying healthy and showing some consistency.