• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

May 5, 2019

Salt Lake (10-19) lost 5-6 at El Paso (Padres) (21-9)

• Thaiss (1B): 2B, RBI, K
  • Rojas (3B): 1-4, R, BB, 2 K
  • Walsh (DH): 2-5, 2 2B, R, K - man's on fire, since 4/17.373/.468/.701/1.170 with 7 2B, 5 HR, 14 RBI, 9 BB, 22 K in 79 PA
  • Suarez (season debut): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 4 K, 78 pitches, 48 strikes
  • Cole: 2 IP, H, K

Mobile (12-17) lost 2-4 at Montgomery (Rays) (19-10)

• Jones (2B): 0-5, K - hate to say it...but it isn't looking good for Jahmai. Something's gotta give...DL, demotion, etc.
  • Gatto: 2 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, 2 K
  • This is a pretty boring team currently with Jones, Marsh, and Kruger struggling, and Sandoval promoted. 

Inland Empire (14-17) lost 3-5 at Visalia (Diamondbacks) (22-9)

• Rivas (SS): 1-5, R, 2 K
  • Hernandez: 5 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, HR
  • Brady: 3 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, K, HR

Burlington (18-12) won 9-5 vs. West Michigan (Tigers) (13-15)

• Maitan (2B): 2-4, R, RBI, BB, 2 K, E (6) - last 13 G/53 PA: .298/.377/.319/.697 with 6 BB, 12 K
  • N. Williams (LF): 2-5, R, 2 RBI, 2 K - every time I am ready to write him off, he shows life. Last 9 games: .276/.417/.517/.934 with 5 XBH, 7 BB 15 K
  • Del Valle (RF): 3-4, 2B, R, RBI
  • Griffin (CF): 1-4, HR (3), R, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
  • Yan: 3.1 IP, 3 H, ER, 5 BB, 5 K, HR
  • Higgins: 2.1 IP, H, BB, 4 K - in 8 G/13 IP, .188 BAA, 0.69 ERA, 8 BB, 16 K
  • A reminder, Maitan is 19 years old. One of the youngest in the league, younger even than Jordyn Adams by 100 days.

9 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Didn't Jones look pretty good in the AFL? Maybe somebody changed something in his swing or approach that isn't clicking

He did - I haven't been able to watch enough AA games yet this year to really get an idea wtf is going on. I chalked it up to bad, bad luck for the first few weeks but after 115 PA you can't pin it all on luck. 

He's still young, and he was a lot better last year than his slash indicates, but I've had points the last two or three years where I questioned if he'd get it all together - I'd talk myself out of it, but it's getting hard to now. 

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe he wasn't actually a lot better than his slash indicated last year. Maybe that is who he is and he's maxing out. Doesn't make sense, given his make-up and raw talent, but in the end results are results.

There was a lot of data suggesting he was unlucky - he was making great contact, good discipline, acceptable strikeout rates...with his 2019 start, yeah, maybe last year was as good as it is gonna get, but at the time there was still reason to be excited. 

I'm gonna hold out hope another month or so...Jones and Marsh are young and playing older, better competition. We shook up our minor league coaching staff. Mobile seems to get rained out every other day. All of these things can have a big influence still. A red-hot week - be it luck or talent - can shore up a slash quickly this time of year. 

Gatto has looked really good out of the Bp! another guy that can give you innings! i wonder with all our Bp arms in the Major and Minor, if we could trade on of them for help in the Major roster. Don't know but the value for relievers are, but certain teams aka the mets may need an arm or two. 

Good to see Suarez return and dominate again, he turning eyes, even mlb top prospect site has his ceiling as a mid-of the rotation arm.  

also, Watching Rengifo this past week, his swing is really long from the left side, while the right its more compact.

6 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Gatto has looked really good out of the Bp! another guy that can give you innings! i wonder with all our Bp arms in the Major and Minor, if we could trade on of them for help in the Major roster. Don't know but the value for relievers are, but certain teams aka the mets may need an arm or two. 

Good to see Suarez return and dominate again, he turning eyes, even mlb top prospect site has his ceiling as a mid-of the rotation arm.  

also, Watching Rengifo this past week, his swing is really long from the left side, while the right its more compact.

I think it'll be a bit too early to dip into the pen depth for trades...I don't think we should be worrying too much about adding to the MLB team...it stings, but I'm holding my ground that 2019 was never really meant to be a competitive year. If the 1-yr vets panned out, great, if not, the plan was for as many of them to be flipped at the deadline as possible. Still holding out hope that one or two of Lucroy, Harvey, Cahill, Calhoun, and Allen build up enough trade value for Billy to replicate Sandoval and Buttrey deals, landing some minor league players who bring nearly immediate results. 

Gatto has definitely pitched himself back into the near-term bullpen depth.

Walsh, Thaiss, Rojas, Lund, Sandoval, Jones, Pena, Rhoades, Gatto, De Horta, Molina, Rivas, Torres, Tavarez, and Kruger are all Rule 5 eligible in the offseason and will need to be added to be protected as well. 

It'll be a good trade deadline to sell off some vets (if Eppler can) and add some youth to round out the year.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

He did - I haven't been able to watch enough AA games yet this year to really get an idea wtf is going on. I chalked it up to bad, bad luck for the first few weeks but after 115 PA you can't pin it all on luck. 

He's still young, and he was a lot better last year than his slash indicates, but I've had points the last two or three years where I questioned if he'd get it all together - I'd talk myself out of it, but it's getting hard to now. 

His finish looks completely different, his timing is off and right now his swing looks mechanical, forced even.  It's like he's using something that isn't native to him.  When a hitter changes his swing, it can sometimes take a couple of months before it becomes natural. 

Gatto should have been in the bullpen last year or two years ago.  The Angels are a little late to the party having him transition over, and thus his star has dimmed quite a bit.  But we shouldn't forget, this is still a big, strong pitcher that sits mid-90's and has a hammer curve and can go 2-3 innings, preferably just two.

If the Angels put him in the right position to succeed, he could become a very effective bullpen pitcher.  He's the sort I'd use to piggyback a starter like Pena.  

Have a reliever open the game, and have Pena cover innings 2, 3 and 4.  Bring in Gatto for innings 5 and 6.  Garcia for the 7th, Buttrey for the 8th and Robles for the 9th. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Gatto should have been in the bullpen last year or two years ago.  The Angels are a little late to the party having him transition over, and thus his star has dimmed quite a bit.  But we shouldn't forget, this is still a big, strong pitcher that sits mid-90's and has a hammer curve and can go 2-3 innings, preferably just two.

If the Angels put him in the right position to succeed, he could become a very effective bullpen pitcher.  He's the sort I'd use to piggyback a starter like Pena.  

Have a reliever open the game, and have Pena cover innings 2, 3 and 4.  Bring in Gatto for innings 5 and 6.  Garcia for the 7th, Buttrey for the 8th and Robles for the 9th. 

Some of that was due to the total lack of depth in the system, they had to keep him starting until they had other options to invest into.   They simply didn't have enough arms.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some of that was due to the total lack of depth in the system, they had to keep him starting until they had other options to invest into.   They simply didn't have enough arms.

That's true, I think.  When you have to choose between crap and crap, you choose crap. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does Gatto's heat have enough movement to be a late innings guy even? 

I'm guessing his fastball velo spiked up since he's been moved to the bullpen, but he definitely added a splitter because check out the season he's having vs. his career stats.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 2.52.21 PM.png

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm guessing his fastball velo spiked up since he's been moved to the bullpen, but he definitely added a splitter because check out the season he's having vs. his career stats.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 2.52.21 PM.png

That's what I've been trying to figure out. His fastball already sat 93-94, which was firm. Now that he's in the bullpen it might spike up at 95-96, but can't tell what he's throwing buff so far.