• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Grandal, Keuchel, a cheap #5, a couple ST invite RPs, plus Bour and La Stella wouldn't be a terrible offseason, even if it's way off what I would have hoped for.

Expensive but solid.

that would be a wreck of an off season from my view.  I know it would probably improve us for 2019 and 2020, but what about 2021 and 2022 assuming a Trout extension.  

In 2021, you have Albert still on the books (41yo at 30m) plus Grandal (32 at probably 16m), Keuchel (33 at 20m), Upton (33 at 23m) and Trout's first year of extension (around 30m if we backload).  That's 130 mil to 5 players and doesn't include a Simmons or Skaggs extension.  

In 2022, Albert is off the books but everyone else gets raises and a year older.  

Committing 4 years each to a couple of guys already in their 30's makes me ill.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, who here would be ok with paying $35 million for two years of JA Happ?  By the way I am almost positive I have been referring to him as AJ all off season.  

It would have taken probably close to 40m to pry him away from the Yankees is my guess.  20m per for a guy entering his age 36 season?  No thanks.  

At that point, the Yanks probably match it anyway.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

It would have taken probably close to 40m to pry him away from the Yankees is my guess.  20m per for a guy entering his age 36 season?  No thanks.  

At that point, the Yanks probably match it anyway.  

Yep, all of these deals take three, not just two.  It takes a player to have interest, it takes the Angels to make a competitive or attractive offer and it takes the agent not selling that bid to another team.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yep, all of these deals take three, not just two.  It takes a player to have interest, it takes the Angels to make a competitive or attractive offer and it takes the agent not selling that bid to another team.  

and of course they're going to because that's their job.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that would be a wreck of an off season from my view.  I know it would probably improve us for 2019 and 2020, but what about 2021 and 2022 assuming a Trout extension.  

In 2021, you have Albert still on the books (41yo at 30m) plus Grandal (32 at probably 16m), Keuchel (33 at 20m), Upton (33 at 23m) and Trout's first year of extension (around 30m if we backload).  That's 130 mil to 5 players and doesn't include a Simmons or Skaggs extension.  

In 2022, Albert is off the books but everyone else gets raises and a year older.  

Committing 4 years each to a couple of guys already in their 30's makes me ill.  

I have doubts about Skaggs being extended. He'd have to be awfully durable in '19 and '20 for me to think it'd be worth it. 
I'd love to keep Simmons but I don't think an extension is a sure thing once he hits FA either, especially with Fletcher, Rengifo, and Jones currently in the mix. As of right now, yes, I'd prefer to keep him, but the development of those three and Andrelton's price tag come '20 could change things. 

Yeah, it'd be bordering on reckless spending, but I can also see Keuchel and Grandal wind up signing for less than forecasted. Still expensive, still a sacrifice of picks, but we'd keep the farm intact and set up the '19-'20 teams nicely.

If you want to upgrade 2nd base a pretty damn good option is available in Jed Lowrie.  Now I know we have so many possible 2nd baseman, but if you want someone that is tested and a definite upgrade that wouldn’t break the bank, could bat at the top of the line up, there is a lot worse you could do than him.  Back to back 4 WAR seasons, .350-360 OBP, back to back 120 OPS+ seasons.  Yea, he would help a ton.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you want to upgrade 2nd base a pretty damn good option is available in Jed Lowrie.  Now I know we have so many possible 2nd baseman, but if you want someone that is tested and a definite upgrade that wouldn’t break the bank, could bat at the top of the line up, there is a lot worse you could do than him.  Back to back 4 WAR seasons, .350-360 OBP, back to back 120 OPS+ seasons.  Yea, he would help a ton.

I think the only concern would be his age.  You wouldn't want to sign him for too many years, but yes, he is a solid player/option.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

No thank you to Keuchel, the hits allowed machine

Grandal is fine at $12-14 million/per season, as long as they don't offer more than two guaranteed seasons and a team option 3rd season.

Another downfall regarding Grandal is he will cost you a pick.

Was going to point out that we haven't seen much of anything happen on FA IF market yet this year, and there are numerous guys who would be of interest, one of which being Lowrie. 

Depending on the context of the rest of the offseason, Lowrie, Moustakas, Dozier, Harrison, Davidson, Forsythe, LeMahieu, Tulo, and Solarte all come with varying degrees of intrigue.

Plenty of relievers still available - Billy's best bullpen yet was ST invites, waiver claims, and a minor-league trade - and there's considerable depth when it comes to vet, one-year SP #4-#5 types, many of whom have had #3-level production in the last year or two.

Harper and Machado are still FAs, and the Angels still have a ~Top 10 farm to deal from. There's a lot of offseason left to improve.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While true, we have so many of those types already on roster it feels redundant.  Money perhaps better spent elsewhere.  

Just now, floplag said:

Im not arguing they are as good, but we have a lot of 2B guys on the roster.   
Seems like we should spend on other holes first is all. 

I get it, but a 4 WAR player that is possibly undervalued on the market while we are going to be starting Cozart, it might be the most affordable way to add two wins to the team.  We could also look to trade a guy like Fletcher or Ward or Jam Jones and bring in other talent.  

I get it, but a 4 WAR player that is possibly undervalued on the market while we are going to be starting Cozart, it might be the most affordable way to add two wins to the team.  We could also look to trade a guy like Fletcher or Ward or Jam Jones and bring in other talent.  

Sure, im not opposed to it hes a quality player just not a spot we need today barring something like that.  

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They could even trade Cozart, eating half of the $25 million remaining salary.   Someone out there would likely try to acquire him for only $12.5 million over 2 seasons, without trading a solid prospect.

Lowrie's salary would make up pretty much the difference, with much more established offense.