• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

4 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

But y'all need to realize that Grandal has not once in his career had a season with an OPS+ below 100.

He's a good player that would give us 2-3 WAR out of the catcher position.

Yup - he was far from my first choice as his cost is a little prohibitive, but at the end of the day, he's been a very consistent, above-average player and would be a totally solid improvement, all things considered. 

Since we're likely going to be shopping at the mid/lower tiers for the team's other needs, I wouldn't be too bummed 'overspending' a little bit for catcher, especially since the farm is thin on anything above back-up catcher talent.

Lots of ways this offseason can still go. I'm not worried in the slightest.

The only better option at the moment than Grandal would be Cervelli. Still costs you something and may not have as much pop. Provides better defense, but there arent many better options. If they arent willing to give up a 2nd for Grandal why would they trade even more for realmuto? Catcher is a position of need and hes there. Gotta bite the bullet imo.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Don't you at some point hope your 2nd rounder turns into a Grandal?

Of course, but if there were 60 future quality major leaguers in every draft (everyone in the first and second round) there would be so much turnover after you figure in international signings.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Of course, but if there were 60 future quality major leaguers in every draft (everyone in the first and second round) there would be so much turnover after you figure in international signings.  

there are plenty of first rounders who turn out to be turds....so its a gamble. Even further of a gamble in the 2nd. If you can get a player of grandals caliber while at the same time filling multiple areas of need, then i think you have to take that risk.

there are plenty of first rounders who turn out to be turds....so its a gamble. Even further of a gamble in the 2nd. If you can get a player of grandals caliber while at the same time filling multiple areas of need, then i think you have to take that risk.

I totally agree with this. He's got a 28% CS rate. He also will solidify a pretty mediocre(hopefully maybe gets better) pitching staff. A 2nd round pick for a proven guy at 29 years old, I don't see why we wouldn't try and sign him. One pick won't shatter the world

I still think this is posturing.   It would cost us a 2nd round pick and $500k in international money as well. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I still think this is posturing.   It would cost us a 2nd round pick and $500k in international money as well. 

Question...

If the Angels are in on Kikuchi...could they come to an agreement with Grandal; but attempt to sign Kikuchi first and then sign Grandal so that $500k doesn't impact them in their pursuit of Kikuchi?

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ohtani, Soto, Maitan, and Contreras were all sort of freebie prospects we got last year too, so missing out on one because of Grandal wouldn’t be that big of a deal, IMO.

then we might as well sign Keuchel as well.  He'd cost a third rounder on top of the 2nd for Grandal over vice versa.  

7 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Did we really sign Contreras? last thing I remember was that we were trying to sign him but nothing else 

Baseball America said we had reportedly signed him, but there's been nothing on him since. 
I'm just speculating that he probably wound up hurt/TJS. @Jeff Fletcher do you know anything on this? 

Even when we 'signed' him it was pretty quiet.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

then we might as well sign Keuchel as well.  He'd cost a third rounder on top of the 2nd for Grandal over vice versa.  

Grandal, Keuchel, a cheap #5, a couple ST invite RPs, plus Bour and La Stella wouldn't be a terrible offseason, even if it's way off what I would have hoped for.

Expensive but solid.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

But y'all need to realize that Grandal has not once in his career had a season with an OPS+ below 100.

He's a good player that would give us 2-3 WAR out of the catcher position.

His defense suffered in the 2018 post-season, granted the CS% has been generally around close to 30% all 4 seasons with the Dogs.  

How does he work with pitchers?    The hitting is fine (power and BBs), but the pitching staff needs a solid catcher to work with.

At least he is used to catching around 120 games average the previous 4 seasons with the Dogs, and is only 30.    

An Anabel Sanchez, Grandal, Robertson (if no more than $8 million/season), LaStella, Garcia, and Bour off-season wouldn't be too bad.   Much better RHH/LHH balance in the lineup in adding Grandal, LaStella, and Bour. 

Concerned about Kikuchi's shoulder, plus already have PLENTY of LHP's with Heaney and Skaggs plus on the way Suarez and Sandoval.