• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Dec. 17, 9:28pm: The Ramos deal includes a $2MM signing bonus, meaning Ramos’s 2019 salary will technically be $6.25MM, per Jon Heyman of Fancred (Twitter link).

So Eppler needs to get a catcher at least as good as Ramos for 6.5 million or less.

this is such an unbelievable logic fail that logic cop just shit himself, slipped on it, broke his leg and now can't get to his computer to respond.  

Just now, beatlesrule said:

Keuchel can be replaced internally or through trade with their surplus of quality OF and their farm system which is better than the Angels is.They obviously don't think much of him if they don't resign him. They are a better team no matter how you slice it.

Except they aren’t 

Keuchel can be replaced internally or through trade with their surplus of quality OF and their farm system which is better than the Angels is.They obviously don't think much of him if they don't resign him. They are a better team no matter how you slice it.

no they're not.  no matter what turn of phrase you use.  

they could end up better, but they aren't right now.  

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also it’s silly to pretend he’s only getting paid $6.25 million. 

Oh I'm sorry, did he sign a huge contract? Ramos will be getting 9 million the 2nd year. That means Eppler needs to find a catcher as good as or better than him for 19 million or less total. This is about the budget for next year and next year, Ramos gets 6.25 million.

Oh I'm sorry, did he sign a huge contract? Ramos will be getting 9 million next year. That means Eppler needs to find a catcher as good as or better than him for 19 million or less. This is about the budget for next year and next year, Ramos gets 6.25 million.

So he doesn’t get a $2 million bonus?  

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Oh I'm sorry, did he sign a huge contract? Ramos will be getting 9 million next year. That means Eppler needs to find a catcher as good as or better than him for 19 million or less. This is about the budget for next year and next year, Ramos gets 6.25 million.

you're making my head hurt.  

I don't think that the 2 million signing bonus counts as salary for next year regarding payroll and the luxury tax and even if it did, it's not a big number.  Look, I know you hate that your favorite team is not the best in their division and doesn't have as good a farm as the Astros do and that the Astros won the World Series 2 years ago. I get it. The fact is the Astros have signed a far and away better player over the Angels as of Dec 17th. They are also rumored to be going after Realmuto. I can only comment on what is in front of me and what's in front of me is that the Astros are a better team with a better farm.  Going by last year, the A's are better too. I hope things change but that's what is going on right now.   

57 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

It does suck watching the Astros get even better while your team with the billionaire owner won't match or try to beat any of the competitions offers. If the Astros do in fact get Realmuto, they will be even more of a powerhouse which will make them far and away the best team in the division.  The Angels as they are right now, aren't even a wild card team.  There is a lot of time left sure but guys are starting to sign more and more and Eppler's comments about the trade market aren't very encouraging.  Most of us know and accept the needs of this team and fixing them within a budget is obviously proving to be difficult.

Don’t change the conversation.  You said they were getting better, which would be a comparison to themselves and not the Angels.  We all know they are better on paper than the Angels.  They are not better than they were last year, right now.  

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I don't think that the 2 million signing bonus counts as salary for next year regarding payroll and the luxury tax and even if it did, it's not a big number.  Look, I know you hate that your favorite team is not the best in their division and doesn't have as good a farm as the Astros do and that the Astros won the World Series 2 years ago. I get it. The fact is the Astros have signed a far and away better player over the Angels as of Dec 17th. They are also rumored to be going after Realmuto. I can only comment on what is in front of me and what's in front of me is that the Astros are a better team with a better farm.  Going by last year, the A's are better too. I hope things change but that's what is going on right now.   

if anyone on this board argued against this, they'd be wrong.  

and btw, the 2mil does count toward salary and against the cap.  

For the love of everything that is holy, Ramos signed a 2/19 deal.  Eppler needs to sign or trade for someone as good as Ramos making the same or less money to make up for missing out on him.  As of now, there are no reports that state the Angels even offered him a contract.  Since so much is being made about Arte's budget for next year, Ramos gets 8.5 million so therefore, Eppler needs to do better.

They don't need to sign a better catcher. Maldonado is just fine, or one of the catchers already on the roster will be just fine. This team doesn't need much to fill out it's roster. As constructed, this team is at minimum a 100 win team. Bullpen pieces are interchangeable. The starting rotation and the depth in the minors are pretty much can't miss guys with youth to their advantage. And any line up with Trout, Simmons, Upton, Ohtani is going to score a ton of runs. With adding the few pieces he's added already Eppler has this team already as the favorites in the division and with some luck the favorites in the American League. Who cares about Houston watch out Boston. 

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

For the love of everything that is holy, Ramos signed a 2/19 deal.  Eppler needs to sign or trade for someone as good as Ramos making the same or less money to make up for missing out on him.  As of now, there are no reports that state the Angels even offered him a contract.  Since so much is being made about Arte's budget for next year, Ramos gets 8.5 million so therefore, Eppler needs to do better.

he didn't miss out.  the player chose the mets.  Ramos even said that the mets were his primary choice.  

we missed out on Corbin, Happ, Ramos, Eovaldi and maybe others.  Do we have to sign a similar players for equal or lesser money to make up the difference?  

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

They don't need to sign a better catcher. Maldonado is just fine, or one of the catchers already on the roster will be just fine. This team doesn't need much to fill out it's roster. As constructed, this team is at minimum a 100 win team. Bullpen pieces are interchangeable. The starting rotation and the depth in the minors are pretty much can't miss guys with youth to their advantage. And any line up with Trout, Simmons, Upton, Ohtani is going to score a ton of runs. With adding the few pieces he's added already Eppler has this team already as the favorites in the division and with some luck the favorites in the American League. Who cares about Houston watch out Boston. 

Sarcasm off. Just being optimistic. I don't think this team has many holes. Adell and Canning are can't miss all stars. Rotation wise I think we are solid if everyone stays healthy. Bullpen is a crap shoot no sense spending money. Line up with Calhoun rebounding and Adell breaking out as a rookie of the year candidate with Ohtani DH'ing the whole year. This team might be unstoppable.  

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Sarcasm off. Just being optimistic. I don't think this team has many holes. Adell and Canning are can't miss all stars. Rotation wise I think we are solid if everyone stays healthy. Bullpen is a crap shoot no sense spending money. Line up with Calhoun rebounding and Adell breaking out as a rookie of the year candidate with Ohtani DH'ing the whole year. This team might be unstoppable.  

You realize Adell barely even got to AA last year? And it was his first pro season 

may want to temper your expectations for 2019

Just now, TroutField said:

You realize Adell barely even got to AA last year? And it was his first pro season 

may want to temper your expectations for 2019

He's can't miss. He will be a top 5 prospect coming into the year. He will unseat one of Upton or Calhoun from the outfield this year. With one of them maybe moving to 1st base. It is an exciting time to be an Angels fan. 

14 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I'm with you, the Angels are a little underrated right now. I think they are capable of winning about 95 games if everything goes right. Too bad we're not in the AL Central.

I would stop short of saying they are "unstoppable." To me, that is 100+ games. I don't think the Angels are there yet.

47 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I think 100 wins is unrealistic.  Maybe 98.  

I could see Albert hitting 40 bombs this year with a .900 ops.  

Imagine if we traded for Realmuto.  We'd win 120 games.