• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

9 hours ago, nando714 said:

Keep third base open 

throw the bank at arenado next winter 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Curious if anyone thinks we should go after Gerrit Cole when he hits FA next winter. Maybe that's part of the reason we aren't spending big on pitching this offseason.

Yes to both.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Curious if anyone thinks we should go after Gerrit Cole when he hits FA next winter. Maybe that's part of the reason we aren't spending big on pitching this offseason.

Every year there’s some variation of this.  I really doubt the Angels are kicking the can down the road because they’re waiting for some different FA.  There’s always going to be some other player becoming available. 

How many years have we been looking to this offseason ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

45 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Angels should have let Upton opt out and not sign Cozart that would have freed up 35m which could have been spent on Machado instead.

Upton+Cozart WAR = 3.9

Machado WAR alone = 5.7

Which would have left us in worse condition last year and likely less attractive to future free agents.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Angels should have let Upton opt out and not sign Cozart that would have freed up 35m which could have been spent on Machado instead.

Upton+Cozart WAR = 3.9

Machado WAR alone = 5.7

I think if we were willing to let Upton walk we would have called his bluff and he would have just stayed.  We would have Upton on a more reasonable contract.  

10 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think if we were willing to let Upton walk we would have called his bluff and he would have just stayed.  We would have Upton on a more reasonable contract.  

all we did was add a year at a total cost of $17.5M, while freeing up money last year and this year by back loading the deal. So if he was still playing on his old deal, we would actually have less money to spend this year 

12 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

At what time was he making a bluff?

From all accounts I remember reading it was a mutual interest on both sides to get something done?

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Every year there’s some variation of this.  I really doubt the Angels are kicking the can down the road because they’re waiting for some different FA.  There’s always going to be some other player becoming available. 

How many years have we been looking to this offseason ?

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

But then we wouldn't have a left fielder. Wouldn't that pose some problems?

No, we could have made a small trade or signed Billy Hamilton as a stop gap until Adell or Marsh are ready.

And even we did have  LF problem, Machado still provides a higher war than both combined and is 6 years younger.

10 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I love that we are bitching about a guy who put up a near 4 WAR season while earning $16 mil. 

Not bitching, Upton was great if you take away his horrid defense and his .197 with RISP, I think he's quite a player. I'm just saying that money could have been spent on a much more superior player and Machado fills a position of need at 3b.

14 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Not bitching, Upton was great if you take away his horrid defense and his .197 with RISP, I think he's quite a player. I'm just saying that money could have been spent on a much more superior player and Machado fills a position of need at 3b.

while creating a hole in LF