• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the pitching health EVER stabilize???

The answer is: "Never"

If they found a magic formula to prevent injuries, it would have been applied by now.  Think of all the studies and millions of dollars invested by MLB teams to prevent injury and it still happens.  Perhaps there is pitching mechanic that can be standardized that will lesson the pressures on the arm/shoulder/elbow but, if it exists, it hasn't been popularized.  

My Dad was drafted out of high school by the Phillies organization and pitched for about 5/6 years in their minor leagues from the late 60s/early 70s.  I grew up watching baseball with him and he would look at a pitcher on TV and just know he was going to hurt his arm based on his mechanics.  One that stuck out in my mind was Jaret Wright.  He saw him pitching for the Indians in '97 and his comment was "his arm will be toast in a few years".  When I asked him why he said: "He throws with arm, no body".  The way he learned to pitch was to use you legs, back and core as much as humanly possible to minimize the impact to the arm and to be in as great a shape as possible so you had the endurance to get through 9 innings. Some other factors that may have lessened his arm fatigue was that he only pitched during baseball season in High School and played Basketball and Football in the offseason.  He also wasn't a part of any travel teams so his arm had some time to recover and, when it was baseball season, he threw a lot of long toss. ( He got injured by a freak accident that ended his pitching career.  In Phillies spring training, he hit by a pitch on his pitching elbow and was pushed by the Phillies coaches to resume throwing prior to the fracture healing and he tore his rotator cuff trying to compensate.)

So, in the past, you didn't throw year round but you also didn't really have medical alternatives like Tommy John Surgery or Labrum Surgery...you just had a "bad arm".  I had an Uncle that pitched for the Twins in the 70's that threw around 250 innings at age 23, hurt his arm and threw 170 inning the next year, ending up back in the minors the following year and was out of baseball by age 28.  He just had a "bad arm".

Maybe there it's a combination of genetics, rest, mechanics, and building endurance....with some luck.  But, again, if they knew what was going on they would have fixed it by now.

I think someone said it best in another thread:

”it’s probably time to stop rolling out the same group of injury prone pitchers and acting surprised when they get hurt every time”

guys like Shoemaker, Tropeano, Meyer probably just need to be non-tendered at this point. If they go somewhere else and magically are able to stay healthy...fine. But we have got to move on to different options at this point. Time to part with Richards too. And guys like Skaggs, Ohtani, and JC Ramirez can’t be counted on for more than 130-150 innings

Canning probably deserves a shot next season at some point and we need to sign a quality veteran starter too

The staff needs to be built from the back end to the starters. They need to add two pitchers in the pen to go along with Anderson. Alvarez is fine and the rest of the pen should be decided in the spring. Heaney, Skaggs, Pena, and Barria are the starters returning next season. They need to add a top of the rotation type. Remember in the spring there were 8-10 starters in camp. The Angels need to build the depth back up because no team stays healthy all season. I left out Ohtani as a starter because who knows if he will be healthy.

I'm going to say no. Kids these days grow up playing video games as opposed to all the outdoor activitys previous generations did & when they are outdoors their glued to their smartphones & tablets. Having less exercise while growing up ages the body more & you'll break down in sports more. When there was no video games, kids went outside & played, outdoor physical activitys are good for the bones, muscles etc.

The decrease in activity is also thought to be why there is a increase in early colon cancer among millenials, its not supposed to happen to those who are 23 to 38 (millenial ages right now). In a way video games are destroying us. I'm still going to play video games though.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:05 PM, Scioscia4MVP said:

I'm going to say no. Kids these days grow up playing video games as opposed to all the outdoor activitys previous generations did & when they are outdoors their glued to their smartphones & tablets. Having less exercise while growing up ages the body more & you'll break down in sports more. When there was no video games, kids went outside & played, outdoor physical activitys are good for the bones, muscles etc.

The decrease in activity is also thought to be why there is a increase in early colon cancer among millenials, its not supposed to happen to those who are 23 to 38 (millenial ages right now). In a way video games are destroying us. I'm still going to play video games though.

I was listening to former pitching coach Bryan Price on a Bay Area sports talk show and he believes that the injuries are because so many pitchers come from the Sun Belt states and they are literally throwing for 9-10 months from Little League on. Nobody is taking six months off, when coming up the ranks. So, the arm strain is magnified. 

Also heard on the MLB network this AM that Manfred THOUGHT he had an agreement with the MLBPA about adding a 26th player next year and then reducing the number of September call-ups. This was partly because of all the injuries but also because of all the position players that are now pitching in blowouts. But MLBPA backed out, after seeming to be in agreement.

The MLB net hosts say that between 1992 and 2006, 55 position players pitched, TOTAL. This year there have already been 56.