• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How is this team going to be better in 2019?

Dtwncbad

Are any of the prospects that may be ready for 2019 good enough to make this team significantly better?

The Angels want to keep getting younger and still try to compete.

Adding a handful of younger players that have low ceilings doesn't help the team win.  It just saves money.

So mentally play it out.  If you can have a couple more bodies on the roster that saves money but they are not high impact players, what does that do for the team?

It allows them to sign Machado.  That solves things.  It puts a an elite player in the everyday lineup.

He is very young so he fits the get younger plan.

Take a hard look at the quality level of players on playoff bound teams.  Ask yourself if Taylor Ward is a starting 3B on a WS team or is he more likely a backup corner infielder on a WS team.

The Angels are either going to have Machado or they are going to compete against a team with Machado.

And I know somebody is going to say Machado wants to play SS.  I personally am comfortable assuming he is available as a 3B if the situation and money are right.  His agent has nothing to lose by advertising he prefers to play SS since it suggests you have to pay more to overcome that wish.

Machado is the best free agent FIT for the Angel roster since Adrian Beltre.  And Machado is 26.

I hope the Angels are smart enough to see that signing Pujols at 31 or signing a drug addict are not fair comps, and are not good reasons to shy away from Machado.

There will be a lot of competition to sign Machado. It will take an enormous amount of money to get into the bidding. I doubt that Arte will go there with the spectre of Trout’s extension needs. I think Machado, at age 26 would be a great addition and give Trout the protection in the lineup that he needs. I just don’t see Arte doing it unless Pujols retires and negotiates a buyout. 

5 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

There will be a lot of competition to sign Machado. It will take an enormous amount of money to get into the bidding. I doubt that Arte will go there with the spectre of Trout’s extension needs. I think Machado, at age 26 would be a great addition and give Trout the protection in the lineup that he needs. I just don’t see Arte doing it unless Pujols retires and negotiates a buyout. 

It is equally possible Mike Trout will not want to stay with the Angels if they show they won't put the best available talent on the field to help him win.

Why would Trout be interested in continuing to be in an impotent lineup?

The money is there for Machado and Trout together.

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It is equally possible Mike Trout will not want to stay with the Angels if they show they won't put the best available talent on the field to help him win.

Why would Trout be interested in continuing to be in an impotent lineup?

The money is there for Machado and Trout together.

And Upton ($21 million through 2022) and Simba (FA after 2020) too??

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

And Upton ($21 million through 2022) and Simba (FA after 2020) too??

I believe the future financial model is 4 or 5 guys making monster money and an excellent farm system filling in the other positions with quality support.

Given the Angels finally have some projectable prospects, it looks to me like there is room for Trout and Machado and Upton. . .

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Tough to spend money when you have Pujols eating up 13% of the payroll for mediocrity. But they kind of have to

Not really, it is a choice.  A Rod was getting $30 million last year for the Yankees.  The Dodgers had something like $80 million paid to players not on their team last year or the year before.  That would have been at least 25-30% of their payroll.  

12 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

No Pena (hopefully)

wat?

Take away his one poor start and you have a versatile arm with an option remaining at league minimum whose given you:
3.35 ERA in 37.2 IP, with 35 strikeouts, 33 hits, 5 HR, and 15 walks. 

As like, a #4, yeah, he'd be a problem, but if he's replacing say Deck McGuire on our depth chart as the go-to when someone gets injured, he'd be pretty damn useful.

I definitely see fans hanging every financial decision on the existence of the Pujols contract.

I don't get it.  The money is spent and the Pujols money by itself should not be a deterrent to making smart (even expensive) moves to improve the team.

The luxury tax matters, but there is space to make moves.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I definitely see fans hanging every financial decision on the existence of the Pujols contract.

I don't get it.  The money is spent and the Pujols money by itself should not be a deterrent to making smart (even expensive) moves to improve the team.

The luxury tax matters, but there is space to make moves.

The Angels under Arte Moreno have shown they are willing to spend, but only to a certain extent. Arte hasn't once gone over his limit since he has taken over the team. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Getting some production out of people who are paid to produce. The bullpen needs to be a major focus along with someone who can leadoff. A power bat may not necessarily be needed, rather someone who can drive in runs. If that's the someone who's already on the team then perfect.

Unfortunately I think the infield is set unless they trade away fletcher for another piece. The outfield is just about locked up, assuming they believe Calhouns second half is real. That leaves a necessary upgrade to the rotation and upgrades to the bullpen.

I am guessing we see something like:

Cody Allen, Sergio Romo, Patrick Corbin types unless they can swing a trade.

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

The Angels under Arte Moreno have shown they are willing to spend, but only to a certain extent. Arte hasn't once gone over his limit since he has taken over the team. I don't see it happening any time soon.

And how much space is there under the luxury tax threshold for 2019 with contracts expiring?

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

wat?

Take away his one poor start and you have a versatile arm with an option remaining at league minimum whose given you:
3.35 ERA in 37.2 IP, with 35 strikeouts, 33 hits, 5 HR, and 15 walks. 

As like, a #4, yeah, he'd be a problem, but if he's replacing say Deck McGuire on our depth chart as the go-to when someone gets injured, he'd be pretty damn useful.

Okay, granted.

17 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not enough for Machado plus all of the other holes this depleted roster has.

I personally disagree.  The team is much better in terms of wins and losses with a huge everyday upgrade with Machado in the starting lineup every day over spreading that money across a couple more roster spots to improve those rosters spots from grad D to C.

And I am really asking if anyone has the actual money figure of available salary under the luxury tax for 2019.  Anyone?

I took a quick look and didn't find a good number that seems trustworthy.

The core isnt going to change, but then it really doesnt need to.  The only real spot anyone can help is as a 1B platoon, the rest of the opening day starting lineup is basically set. 
We have no depth at C, so were looking at a Briceno/plus whoever
1B is Pujols plus
2B and 3B will be Fletcher/Cozart
SS is Simba
OF is upton/Trout/Calhoun. 
DH Pujols/Ohtani
In truth, where are you going to do much with that?  and please dont start on the bench everyone and replace them routine thats not going to happen we all know it. 

Well see Ward up here in Sep, maybe even Thiass, but noone else is that close to ready for it to matter.   Id like to see JMF get more 1B time, maybe even try some OF.  Maybe Regnifo 

Hermosillo doesnt look like a hitter, nor does Blaish, Cowart is too streaky to be a regular it seems but will make a fine backup of the entire infield. 

Ward will in my opinion likely push Fletcher to 2B with Cozart at 3B with Ward the heir apparent. 

Now, all that being said, free agency is a wildcard.  Do we expect the team to spend, i dont, not really.   
Offensively they could go get Grandal with Briceno as the backup but i think they like Briceno a lot, hes looked good so far, so will they deem that necessary?  depends how the rest of this year plays out i think.   They wont go after any of the elite 3B/SS, its the one spot we have depth at.   They could go after Harper for RF, but i dont think they will.
Pitching wise we certainly have enough SP if they can keep them out of the mash unit, but i dont really see anyone in FA thats not going to cost a ton that doesnt have question marks.  Yes that includes Kershaw.  If he hits FA thats a giant red flag to me that the dogs let that happen.  I still feel our best move there is to create an air tight bulllpen.  Even if we get an ace, we still need to figure out the other 4 days, this solves that.

In short, im not expecting major changes, if this roster could stay healthy, we might not need them, i think thats the tactic the frost office will take.  Im going to temper any expectations till i see otherwise but health alone with at least 5-10 more games 

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I personally disagree.  The team is much better in terms of wins and losses with a huge everyday upgrade with Machado in the starting lineup every day over spreading that money across a couple more roster spots to improve those rosters spots from grad D to C.

And I am really asking if anyone has the actual money figure of available salary under the luxury tax for 2019.  Anyone?

I took a quick look and didn't find a good number that seems trustworthy.

From what I see, we are at about 124 million with the players currently under contract. Then you have everyone going to get paid through arbitration. 206 million is what looks to be the luxury tax for 2019. So you're looking at about 82 million left to pay everyone going through arbitration and to fill out roster holes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

From what I see, we are at about 124 million with the players currently under contract. Then you have everyone going to get paid through arbitration. 206 million is what looks to be the luxury tax for 2019. So you're looking at about 82 million left to pay everyone going through arbitration and to fill out roster holes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing I would say is Eppler likes to leave some payroll flexibility in case they make a move to add salary mid season.  

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

So with $82 million available to improve the team. . .

LF/CF/RF looks set.

1B we know is what it is with Pujols.

2B there are many what look to be viable options in house.

SS is set.

3B is wide Facking open with realistically an extremely modest ceiling under any honest analysis.

The team needs another high impact bat, and it is almost absurd to think that will come from catcher.

So $82 million available, 3B the obvious soft spot, Machado is 26 years old. . .

Few times in the past have I seen a more obvious move to sign a player.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So with $82 million available to improve the team. . .

LF/CF/RF looks set.

1B we know is what it is with Pujols.

2B there are many what look to be viable options in house.

SS is set.

3B is wide Facking open with realistically an extremely modest ceiling under any honest analysis.

The team needs another high impact bat, and it is almost absurd to think that will come from catcher.

So $82 million available, 3B the obvious soft spot, Machado is 26 years old. . .

Few times in the past have I seen a more obvious move to sign a player.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, however, I just don't think Arte pays for Machado. We're going to have to outbid a huge market. I don't see it happening. Not saying it can't.

But I'm saying it won't. But it could. But probably not.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/los-angeles-angels-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

According to this it's $116 mil committed but about $99 mil CBTwise. Then they estimate $40 mil for arbitration. That's $156 in real dollars and $140 in CBT. I think Machado signs with Dogs but if he's inclined to sign here there's plenty of space, especially if they find a taker for Cozart