• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How is this team going to be better in 2019?

Dtwncbad

6 minutes ago, Pheenom07 said:

We’re trying to be competitive in 19’, why are people suggesting a trade of Calhoun?  Clearly he’s figured out his issues and then some.  The guy has been hitting like a MOTO type of guy and we’ll need that and his defense in right field.  

Im all for the Adell hype but let’s let him develop and get promoted when he’s ready and not a minute sooner.

Agreed, I don’t want to see the Angels “Byron Buxton” Adell 

23 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Eppler needs to pursue Trout hard this off season  ... if Trout is going to sign a extension then now is the time imo. The longer Trout waits the harder it makes Eppler's job to plan the teams future. If Trout becomes a FA he'll get crazy money but doubtful it will be from the Angels. 

Get it Done Epp!

I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily true. I agree with what @Scotty@AW has said, that Eppler has been building this team to absorb the loss of Trout. I don’t think he’s designing this club in a way that doesn’t leave room for Mike, but I don’t think his pending free agency is affecting his planning much. 

I don’t see major upgrades for ‘19. Not enough flexibility, not enough clear needs, too many promising internals to experiment with. 2020 is a season where he can get much more dramatic if need be, going in either a buying or selling, and he can probably do so effectively whether or not Trout stays, and I imagine by that point he’d have a good pulse on that chance. 

If Sosh is really leaving it’s going to be hard to just flip a switch and change things or heighten expectations in ‘19 with a potential rookie manager and likely the biggest organizational change and upheaval experienced in nearly 20 years. I very well think next year might be more Year One of Eppler Years instead of Penultimate Trout Year. 

For the record, I’ve long felt confident Trout is going to sign an extension before FA, and it’ll be for a surprisingly team-friendly deal. When you think about what Scioscia, Weaver, and even Upton and Pujols could speak to about free agency and organizational loyalty, it almost seems a lock Trout will be here long-term, soon, and for a very fair amount.

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Eppler needs to pursue Trout hard this off season  ... if Trout is going to sign a extension then now is the time imo. The longer Trout waits the harder it makes Eppler's job to plan the teams future. If Trout becomes a FA he'll get crazy money but doubtful it will be from the Angels. 

Get it Done Epp!

If Trout leaves, it won't be because of money.  It will be because he thinks he has a better chance to win a championship with another team.  The Angels and Arte will match whatever financial package necessary.  The most important thing to happen between now and the 2020 trade deadline is to show Mike that this team is on a path to win for years and that he's a huge part of that.  

Honestly, I think the Angels are the default unless they F it up.  

There is a lot of talk about around here about signing machado.  If that happens and a Trout extension follows, the Angels could have the two biggest contracts in baseball history on their books.  Honestly, I doubt Arte would ever allow that to happen.  

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I know I am being selective, and if I’m being honest I don’t know how the conversation got there, but I think it had to do with someone questioning his road OPS.  There is a world of difference in hitting in Anaheim versus Baltimore I would assume.  If he is willing to play 3rd base and if it doesn’t cost us Trout I would be ok with us signing him.  But if his Road OPS is what we could expect from him, then I am thinking there will be a ton of guys on here very disappointed with him since quite a few guys on here hate Upton and his price tag.  

Haha, I completely know that feeling (not knowing how the conversation got to a certain place, or how one became the perceived defender of a specific position that one doesn't necessarily feel that strong about. The internet).

I hate the thought that we end up with Machado but lose Trout. And there's just something about Machado that doesn't sit right with me. You look at his numbers and everything looks good, with some small breakthroughs this year that have led to his best year so far (with the bat, at least). He's also young enough that further improvement could be ahead of him.

On the other hand, for some reason I see a player that could decline before 30, sort of like Hanley Ramirez, and then play out 70% of his contract as a mediocre .250/.300/.470 hitter with poor defense. Just a hunch, though.

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

If Cozart is even ready to play by opening day, i think he will be only at 2b, only because of arm strength after surgery. If Calhoun can hit close to how he is currently hitting, he will remain in rf.. Position wise, that leaves 3b and catcher as the holes to fill. Unless Ohtani undergoes TJS. then we will probably see Thaiss at first with AP back to dh. This is why i would like to have Thaiss and Ward getting ab's  now, to see how they might pan out. I expect the pen to be better next season. It is the starting rotation that needs durable warm bodies. I don't expect Meyer to ever start again. If he is lucky, he might find a rp spot. But not counting on it. My gut tells me Ohtani will miss all of next season {TJS}. And we can expect more of the same from Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano and Richards, if they re-sign him. About 50/50 from them . 50% pitching and 50% of the time on the dl. So they need starting pitching in a bad way. And it will be very expensive to acquire in terms of money or prospects.

Other arm 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, totdprods said:

“I’m a shortstop,” Machado said. “I play shortstop.

Except he is a very poor shortstop according to bWar. 

As a third baseman he was worth a defensive positive 1 war last season.

This year as a shortstop he was a defensive -1.2 for the Orioles.

Ego. 

57 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ego. 

let someone else pay for that.  positional adjustment for WAR is about half a win more for SS than 3b.  He's a -1 win SS and a +1 (or more ) win 3bman.  

Making himself a SS was wise for the reason of making himself available to more teams.  Making himself not a 3b takes a ton of that value away.  OP is likely right.  He'll play 3b if the dollars say he should play 3b.  

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Don’t read anything into that ... he’s backup 3B

he's played twice as many innings at 3b for the dogs vs. that at SS.  He's a backup SS.  

the same stat that verifies Simmons as the best defensive SS of our generation shows machado as +83 drs at 3b in 726 games and -15 in 156 games at SS.  

in about 3 months, Bryce Harper will be a CFer as well.  

If we have the best offer for Manny, he'll play 2b if we ask him.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

let someone else pay for that.  positional adjustment for WAR is about half a win more for SS than 3b.  He's a -1 win SS and a +1 (or more ) win 3bman.  

Making himself a SS was wise for the reason of making himself available to more teams.  Making himself not a 3b takes a ton of that value away.  OP is likely right.  He'll play 3b if the dollars say he should play 3b.  

he's played twice as many innings at 3b for the dogs vs. that at SS.  He's a backup SS.  

the same stat that verifies Simmons as the best defensive SS of our generation shows machado as +83 drs at 3b in 726 games and -15 in 156 games at SS.  

Yeah, Manny is not turning down a huge contract because they won't let him play SS.  He'll go where the market leads him.

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

That’s because JT was on the DL and is still hurting. Machado is the Dodgers starting SS.

I still think he’ll be a SS for a contender next season. We’ll find out soon enough. 

Btw I would love to see him at 3B for the Angels 

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

That’s because JT was on the DL and is still hurting. Machado is the Dodgers starting SS.

I still think he’ll be a SS for a contender next season. We’ll find out soon enough. 

if he were the starting SS, then he'd be playing SS.  

We don't have a 3bman right now.  Why not put Simmons at 3b and fletcher at SS?  The reason manny won't play 3b when Turner comes back is because Turner can't play anywhere else to get his bat in the lineup.  

Will manny still get his payday even if he's tagged to play SS?  Sure.  

but the braves aren't moving Swanson.  the Angels aren't moving Simmons.  The Dogs aren't moving Seager.  The yankees could trade Didi.  The Bosox aren't getting him.  The Nats aren't getting him.  The phils are definitely in play.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if he were the starting SS, then he'd be playing SS.  

We don't have a 3bman right now.  Why not put Simmons at 3b and fletcher at SS?  The reason manny won't play 3b when Turner comes back is because Turner can't play anywhere else to get his bat in the lineup.  

Will manny still get his payday even if he's tagged to play SS?  Sure.  

but the braves aren't moving Swanson.  the Angels aren't moving Simmons.  The Dogs aren't moving Seager.  The yankees could trade Didi.  The Bosox aren't getting him.  The Nats aren't getting him.  The phils are definitely in play.  

That’s because the Dodgers have Chris Taylor who is backup SS for Seager. Manny is the most experienced 3B on the Dodgers ... of course he’s backup for JT and move Taylor to SS. 

Dodgers traded for Manny specially to be their starting SS. Seager will be back a SS next season. ... doubtful the Dodgers sign Machado.  

Machado isn't happening. I would get into specifics, but I don't think it's even necessary at this point. That's how ridiculous that is.

The Angels competitive window was supposed to begin this year with Heaney, Richards, Skaggs and Tropeano coming back, Barria's development and the addition of Shohei Ohtani. Obviously that didn't happen and we'll finish at .500 or so.

So I recognize the need to build a winner beginning next year, but we also need to allow the prospects that are ready to impact the major league team, an opportunity to do so. Fletcher and Ward specifically need to be in the majors and playing.

I'd like to see Fernandez in Valbuena's role, but the team has shown zero interest in playing Fernandez in the role he deserves. So I doubt he gets anything.

I think what we'll probably see happen is the Angels sign Matt Adams for that 110 games at 1B/DH, which seems to be a role he's suited for. Then I think Eppler will sign a couple of pitchers that won't cost a draft pick, like Nate Eovaldi and Gio Gonzalez. 

I think perhaps I was being over dramatic when I said they wouldn't spend ANY money this free agency. What I mean to say is I don't think they'll be involved in anything Machado/Harper related, or really anything close to that magnitude. I think it will be a lot of smaller moves like...

Trade Michael Hermosillo, Jose Soriano and D'Shawn Knowles to the Padres for Austin Hedges.

Matt Adams 1 year 6 million.

Nate Eovaldi 3 years 40 million

Gio Gonzalez 2 years 22 million

Garrett Richards 2 years 6 million while he rehabs so they'll get a cheap year of control in 2020.

Jon Jay 1 year 3 million.

So this is what I think they'll roll with..

1. RF Calhoun 2. SS Simmons 3. CF Trout 4. LF Upton 5. DH Ohtani 6. 1B Pujols 7. 2B Cozart 8. 3B Ward 9. C Hedges

Bench: Fletcher (UTIL), Adams (1B/DH), Arcia (C), Jay (OF)

Rotation: Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Eovaldi, Gonzalez, Barria (Tropeano, Canning, Suarez and blast from the past Nate Smith will be in AAA)

Bullpen: Parker, Alvarez, Cole, Bedrosian, Meyer, Ramirez, Pena.

That team will be better, I think it's just a question of how much. Basically we're swapping Ward for Kinsler, which may break even but Hedges will be an improvement and having Jon Jay come off the bench will help out big time. Putting Eovaldi and Gonzalez would definitely deepen the rotation, because let's face it, Ohtani, Skaggs and even Eovaldi will log some DL time. I think the big difference will come in the bullpen. Adding Pena, Ramirez and Meyer basically adds three 96 mph fastballs to the bullpen and three guys with the ability to go multiple innings or pitch late in the game.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Machado isn't happening. I would get into specifics, but I don't think it's even necessary at this point. That's how ridiculous that is.

The Angels competitive window was supposed to begin this year with Heaney, Richards, Skaggs and Tropeano coming back, Barria's development and the addition of Shohei Ohtani. Obviously that didn't happen and we'll finish at .500 or so.

So I recognize the need to build a winner beginning next year, but we also need to allow the prospects that are ready to impact the major league team, an opportunity to do so. Fletcher and Ward specifically need to be in the majors and playing.

I'd like to see Fernandez in Valbuena's role, but the team has shown zero interest in playing Fernandez in the role he deserves. So I doubt he gets anything.

I think what we'll probably see happen is the Angels sign Matt Adams for that 110 games at 1B/DH, which seems to be a role he's suited for. Then I think Eppler will sign a couple of pitchers that won't cost a draft pick, like Nate Eovaldi and Gio Gonzalez. 

I think perhaps I was being over dramatic when I said they wouldn't spend ANY money this free agency. What I mean to say is I don't think they'll be involved in anything Machado/Harper related, or really anything close to that magnitude. I think it will be a lot of smaller moves like...

Trade Michael Hermosillo, Jose Soriano and D'Shawn Knowles to the Padres for Austin Hedges.

Matt Adams 1 year 6 million.

Nate Eovaldi 3 years 40 million

Gio Gonzalez 2 years 22 million

Garrett Richards 2 years 6 million while he rehabs so they'll get a cheap year of control in 2020.

Jon Jay 1 year 3 million.

So this is what I think they'll roll with..

1. RF Calhoun 2. SS Simmons 3. CF Trout 4. LF Upton 5. DH Ohtani 6. 1B Pujols 7. 2B Cozart 8. 3B Ward 9. C Hedges

Bench: Fletcher (UTIL), Adams (1B/DH), Arcia (C), Jay (OF)

Rotation: Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Eovaldi, Gonzalez, Barria (Tropeano, Canning, Suarez and blast from the past Nate Smith will be in AAA)

Bullpen: Parker, Alvarez, Cole, Bedrosian, Meyer, Ramirez, Pena.

That team will be better, I think it's just a question of how much. Basically we're swapping Ward for Kinsler, which may break even but Hedges will be an improvement and having Jon Jay come off the bench will help out big time. Putting Eovaldi and Gonzalez would definitely deepen the rotation, because let's face it, Ohtani, Skaggs and even Eovaldi will log some DL time. I think the big difference will come in the bullpen. Adding Pena, Ramirez and Meyer basically adds three 96 mph fastballs to the bullpen and three guys with the ability to go multiple innings or pitch late in the game.

I agree that Machado is a pipe dream as he is going to be heavily pursued and the Angels do have some interesting young players. But never say never.

I like Matt Adams, as a lefty 1B/part time OF, and occasional DH, but the only way he signs is if they sit Pujols once a week. That opens up 27 starts for a lefty 1B. Then, he also plays 1B on the 3 days that Pujols is the DH (the day before Ohtani starts, Day of start, Day after Start) meaning 4 starts per week at 1B. Pujols then gets 2-3 starts a week at DH and 2-3 at 1B, meaning roughly somewhere around 135 starts between DH (65) and 1B (70).

Austin Hedges fits.

I think they may look to trade for an arm, but I like the two guys you picked. Though I do think only one is signed.

Richards will be slightly more expensive, but I like the idea.

Jon Jay fits.

I'd actually lead off Ward, then Trout, then Calhoun hitting third. This is followed by Upton hitting 4th, Ohtani / Adams 5th, then Pujols hitting 6th and Simmons hitting 7th, Hedges/Briceno 8th, and then Cozart 9th.

Rotation is: Ohtani, Heaney, Gonzalez, Skaggs, Meyer, Barria. (Tropeano, Canning, Suarez, Bridwell in AAA)

I could see them signing a solid closer, then pushing Parker to set-up, Alvarez, Cole, Bedrosian, Pena, and Robles in the pen.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, Blarg said:

Ego. 

Arenado's maturity >>>>>>>>>>> Machado's maturity.