• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Realistic Off Season Signings

Can Robertson still be an effective closer though?   He's been a rock solid set up guy after the Skanks re-acquired him, but closing and setting up are two different animals.   Plus he's 34 next season and has appeared in 60+ games every season since 2010.   Could a 2008 Shields' like drop be close at hand?

Troll- Two more years of Scioscia (sociopath?) because we are about milestones.  If he’s here then Maldys here (Maldonaldo is Mathis with a bigger.... arm).  Donaldson on a prove me contract is worth the risk. Pay for a closer, I like high end.  And trade for leadoff hitter.

What I think some on AW are ignoring is that money spent this year was just a calculated roll of the dice, the next two years are the window.  Looking for some big moves.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, halomatt said:

Machado. He’s young (not the typical 30+ free agent) and would give teams a reason to pitch to Trout. 

He would go a long way toward deepening the lineup. 

And convince Pujols to retire. 

This is the answer.  Spend the money, sign Machado.  He'll happily play third base for getting paid the way he will.  Cozart moves to second and all is well.

If you can get Pujols to retire, even better.

A realistic signing would probably be someone like Marwin Gonzalez.  Yes, he's having a "down" year - but his versatility makes him somewhat valuable.  Not saying this is what I want, but I could see it happening.

For pitching... Patrick Corbin makes the most sense and would be realistic, IMO.  The rest is kind of a crap shoot...  All pitching sort of scares me.

Other than Harper and Machado, everyone else is too old and on the downside of their careers. 

3 hours ago, Revad said:

Troll- Two more years of Scioscia (sociopath?) because we are about milestones.  If he’s here then Maldys here (Maldonaldo is Mathis with a bigger.... arm).  Donaldson on a prove me contract is worth the risk. Pay for a closer, I like high end.  And trade for leadoff hitter.

@EnglishCop just died.

I like the concept of signing Marwin Gonzalez... obviously depends on price.

I’d be rather surprised if Matheny got another managerial gig. Very surprised.

Machado likely lands the biggest deal in MLB history this fall. 10 years/$280 million may be the starting point. Phillies have the need and financial resources to go higher. 

Edited by YouthofToday
More info to share.

3 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

This is the answer.  Spend the money, sign Machado.  He'll happily play third base for getting paid the way he will.  Cozart moves to second and all is well.

If you can get Pujols to retire, even better.

I'd rather target the O.C. guy after 2019......that being Arenado, if Ward doesn't run with his chance at 3B over the next season plus.  

Cozart's OBP doesn't look good in a fulltime role in 2019, and he is made to be a utility guy, 2017 notwithstanding.   I'd rather give Rengifo and his OBP and SBs first chance at 2B. 

57 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Machado likely lands the biggest deal in MLB history this fall. 10 years/$280 million may be the starting point. Phillies have the need and financial resources to go higher. 

+1, except that Gonzalez has gone the Schoop route this season, with a sub .700 OPS after a big 2017 season.   On the positive side, his plate discipline is >>>>>> Schoop's, and he can play any position other than catcher.   Sign him, and Cozart would likely become trade bait?   Albeit small trade bait until he shows something after the surgery. 

+1 to TG's thought on Corbin, he's having a 2nd straight strong season with solid durability (2nd straight 189+ innings season?), and has had that durability throughout his career, outside of the UCL surgery.  

33 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd rather target the O.C. guy after 2019......that being Arenado, if Ward doesn't run with his chance at 3B over the next season plus.  

Cozart's OBP doesn't look good in a fulltime role in 2019, and he is made to be a utility guy, 2017 notwithstanding.   I'd rather give Rengifo and his OBP and SBs first chance at 2B. 

I can care less what they do with Cozart. He can play second or be a utility guy.  I'll take Machado (who is a little younger) over Arenado.

17 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

Think he gets more than Harper?