• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Realistic Off Season Signings

What realist off season signings can we make in this upcoming off season that can make us contenders right away. 

Off the the top of my head, what about Dallas Keuchel, josh Donaldson (Have fletcher play second, and move Cozart to an uber utility role) and add a bullpen piece. And of course after we do that see, if we can lock up Trout for life. I know that would take significant money and I haven’t looked at potential numbers to see if something like that is even likely. But I think there is a possibility to make such moves. 

Please discuss with your opinions and projections. 

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I am going to be extremely pissed if we sign 34 year old Josh Donaldson and his fucked up shoulder and now calf. 

Why? He would have a fairly reasonable price tag, he is friends with Trout, and it would improve our offense and allow us to sign other pieces. I do not see Moreno allowing us to go very far over the tax to become contenders. I know Donalson has injury concerns. But a comprobable contract to Cozart would allow many other signing. He could even split time at first with Pujols. If we are set on not trading our prospects ( As the consensus on here feels we should not, even though for the right trade I would) what other options do we have to put a contender on the field immediately. That is the purpose of this thread, to discuss what we can do to make us contenders in one offseason. 

55 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

And if Donalson was to get hurt, that’s why we would have Cozart as utility and Thaiss/Ward should be ready for their cup of Major League coffee (If they haven’t already by that point).  

The Angels won't pay Cozart $13 mil to be a utility player, no way!  They will put Fletcher as utility for the minimum salary.

1 hour ago, stanick88 said:

And if Donalson was to get hurt, that’s why we would have Cozart as utility and Thaiss/Ward should be ready for their cup of Major League coffee (If they haven’t already by that point).  

The org needs to back off of signings like Donaldson.   They have rarely worked out.   Time to put trust in the farm.   They can still trade a few prospects to build areas of weakness, but the age 33+ signings/trade acquisitions  need to be minimized, going forward.

I think we have to look at the funds available and the needs we have. Eppler may opt to fill these vacancies via trade rather than free agency.

After expiring contracts, plus arbitration raises, ballpark figure we're looking at being 25 million under where we are this year, which as I understand is only a few million off our max yearly contracts, but a solid 20 million under the luxury tax.

So assuming Arte is still vehemently opposed to exceeding the luxury tax mark as he's been the entire tenure of his ownership, the Angels could spend anywhere from $0 to 45 million in roster upgrades.

I think a safe bet is probably around that 25 million mark.

Next you have to see where your biggest needs are, and this answer changes depending on who you ask. Some say bullpen, some say offense, some might even say rotation or management.

This is just me guessing, but I'm thinking Eppler likes the arms he's acquired this year in Taylor Cole, Miguel Almonte, Hansel Robles and Deck McGuire, plus the arms he had coming off the DL next year in Key Middleton, JC Ramirez and Alex Meyer. All three will likely need spots in the bullpen, or at least two out of three.

I'm not saying the bullpen is good, but I think Eppler will rank it behind infield help or an OF upgrade.

After identifying your biggest needs (2B/3B, RF, part time DH/1B, RP then SP in that order), then you need to see which ones you're comfortable filling in house, and which ones you need outside help on. The Angels have options for 2B/3B in Ward and Rengifo, and DH/1B in Matt Thaiss. But you have to figure, Eppler is not just going to fill the lineup with youngsters and hope for the best. Plus he's a defensive minded GM, and Ward is new to 1B and Thaiss is limited to 1B right now.

Eppler also has a couple of rotation options in Griffin Canning and Jose Suarez. But not much on the horizon in relief.

So chances are, Eppler will look outside of the organization to fill RF and RP.

Next, he'll have to look and see what the free agent market offers versus what the trade market offers and how that relates to down the road internal upgrades. As an example, say the Angels sign Bryce Harper for 10 years and lock up Trout for another 10. This means there won't be an opening in the OF for a long time, and thus, guys like Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh, Trent Deveaux, D'Shawn Knowles, Orlando Martinez and Jordyn Adams, will be blocked.

The free agent market definitely offers answers in the infield and outfield with Harper, Machado, Donaldson, etc...but again, we have to consider that 25 million. It has to fill quite a few holes.

My guess is Eppler will put Cozart out at 2B, and have Taylor Ward take over 3B, he'll have Matt Thaiss take Valbuena's spot at 1B/DH, keep Fletcher in a super utility role, taking AB's from Cozart and Ward, and promote Hermosillo to be the 4th OF.

Now as far as his free agent signings...here's what I can picture right now, which is July, which is a very long time from December.

1. Angels sign Nate Eovaldi for 3 years, 33 million.

2. Angels sign Nick Markakis for 2 years 20 million.

3. Angels sign David Robertson for 3 years, 25 million.

4. Angels sign Joe Kelly for 2 years 15 million.

5. Angels re-sign Martin Maldonado 2 years 10 million.

6. Angels sign random backup catcher for 1 year, 1 million.

Total spent: About 40 million.

Now, in order to offset the extra 15 million they probably went over budget on, they'll end up trading Calhoun and saving 10 million in the process, not offering Shoemaker a contract which saves another 4 million, and not offering Jefry Marte a contract, which saves 1-2 million.

The end result is is a lineup that looks like this...

1. SS Simmons 2. RF Nick Markakis 3. CF Mike Trout 4. LF Justin Upton 5. 1B Albert Pujols 6. DH Shohei Ohtani 7. 2B Zack Cozart 8. 3B Taylor Ward 9. C Martin Maldonado

BENCH: Thaiss, Hermosillo, Fletcher and backup C.

ROTATION: Ohtani, Skaggs, Eovaldi, Heaney, Barria, Tropeano, Suarez, Canning

BULLPEN: Robertson, Kelly, Middleton, Parker, JC Ramirez, Alvarez, Robles, Meyer, Cole, Paredes, Morris, Almonte...

Now obviously that's mthe re than 25 players, so I'll let you guys figure out which one goes where, but that's at least my initial guess as to what will go down.

3 hours ago, halomatt said:

And convince Pujols to retire. 

You would hope pujols' 10 day DL stint included Arte taking him out on the yacht a few times...sipping beers...passively saying things like "i love being off in the summer" and "i like being rich and retired and no boss a hell of a lot more than when I had to work" and stuff like that.

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You would hope pujols' 10 day DL stint included Arte taking him out on the yacht a few times...sipping beers...passively saying things like "i love being off in the summer" and "i like being rich and retired and no boss a hell of a lot more than when I had to work" and stuff like that.

And “wouldn’t mind doing a time-share on this bitty boat, I’d pay for the fuel.”

5 minutes ago, Revad said:

No we need him for PR.

Ok, so for puerto rico, not the dominican. 

"I love watching trout hit home runs" - arte

"Same here, mang!" - mang

"Man, youd LOVE watching him do it from my owners booth. Nice, air conditioned. Lots of pizzas and stuff. Way softer seats than that dugout bench you guys sit on. I dont know how you do it!" - arte

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I hate to say it Scotty, but I dont think its a good idea to pencil in Ohtani starting next year. I know we got encouraging news this week, but i just think it will be one of those "of he course" set backs later.

Yeah, July is an awful long way away from December.  There's a lot that can happen between now and then.  If Shohei's elbow is still bugging him, he could still get surgery and be back for 2020, which is pretty much exactly what we're looking at right now anyway.  Might as well see where he is in November/December.  And quite frankly, because I've written off this season, I'd just shut him down until December anyway.  Keep him on a strength and mobility program, but don't pick up a baseball at all.  I mean it worked for Griffin Canning.