• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Realistic Off Season Signings

Barring any significant, unforeseen deadline deals...

Not expecting us to pursue Machado at all. If we sign any infielder this winter, it has be either a massive steal of a deal, or a very low-commitment, such as:

• Beltre or Donaldson on a reasonable 1-yr deal 
  • Lowrie or Cabrera, likely also on 1-2 yr/deals at $8m- which would mean likely a trade of Ward, Rengifo, or Fletcher in some way
  • LeMahieu or Moose on their low-end of an expected contract. Cozart-esque, 3/$39m-45m tops.
  • Steve Pearce as a Jefry Marte replacement/lefty-masher

I don't see us being in the market for any OFs, unless Pujols retires or is seriously injured and limited to PH/occasional DH duty. Markakis would be interesting in a 1B/LF/RF role if that happened. We'll probably sign a vet 4th OF to replace Young - McCutchen and Jones are playing too well to be relegated to that role. Maybe Leonys Martin or Brandon Guyer, another lefty-masher. Cannot see us pursuing Harper.

The SP market will hinge dramatically on how Ohtani and Shoemaker finish the year. I still personally think the Halos are going to be looking for mid-tier controllable SPs this deadline - the Urena, Junis, Gausman type, or buy-lows on Archer, Stromer, Sanchez, or perhaps someone like Mike Fiers who is fringe SP depth but controllable another year. 

• Corbin and Keuchel will be in high demand. Do we need another lefty on top of Skaggs, Heaney, and potentially Suarez? Corbin is buds with Skaggs...
  • Eppler will be familiar with Eovaldi and he'd be a decent buy, and Harvey could be on the radar. 
  • Numerous vets available on 1-yr deals; Sabathia, Hellickson, Gio, Holland, Happ, Ross, Hamels, Sanchez, Tillman - snagging one would be wise, especially if Shoe or Ohtani (Shoe-hei) don't seem to be 100%

Eppler will be hard-pressed to not spend something on the pen next year. I'd be surprised if we shopped in the upper-end with Herrera, Familia, etc., but really could see him being in the mix for anyone who is a reliever - even the guys who on the surface suck (like we thought with Norris) 

I'd like to see the Angels shift from signing stop gap veterans and really pursue a top caliber player while letting other holes be filled by our now great farm system. I'd really like to see us go all out for Arenado, either by trade this offseason or wait one more season for his free agency. I want to believe that Rengifo can be the answer to our 2B issues and even if not I think Fletcher is good enough to play that role for us for the next couple years. Not to mention you still have Cozart who with Fletcher's emergence I would trade him for literally anything to get that salary off the books, but if not still provides value to the team with above average defense and some pop. Obviously a RF is a need too but I think making any big signing there risks blocking Adell's path to the team, I wouldn't mind one more season of Calhoun with Adell coming up towards the end of next season.

So for me I think we should focus on two main signings: a big top caliber batter that can really help reshape the lineup and the most glaring need for this team a serious closer. I'm not picky when it comes to closers but we need anyone who can be that type of high leverage guy, someone like Kelvin Herrera would be perfect for this team, young and growing into a closer role. I think the bullpen is really not as bad as it appears its just missing the most important piece. You get Middleton back next year hopefully healthy and can put him in a set up role and let Anderson, Alvarez, Robles, Pena, Meyer, Cole etc. make up the rest of the pen and we are really not in that bad of shape.

That bullpen to go with a rotation of Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, and either Suarez, Canning, or some free agent (obviously Corbin would be ideal but I don't know if we're going to be willing to spend that kind of money on a SP after all the injury problems this year) and you have a pretty solid pitching staff overall.

To be realistic I think 2020 is the year we are really going to push for anything, I want to believe it can be next season but it's hard to envision Shohei pitching at a consistent health which is what we really need to take this team to the next level, I can't even remember the last time we had a true ace. To go along with that I think 2020 can be Adell's first full season and hopefully Ward, Thaiss, and Marsh can also be making an impact by then. It's been a gloomy year but I still think the future is bright for this team.

1 hour ago, Anaheim Ohtanitrouts said:

I'd like to see the Angels shift from signing stop gap veterans and really pursue a top caliber player while letting other holes be filled by our now great farm system. I'd really like to see us go all out for Arenado, either by trade this offseason or wait one more season for his free agency. I want to believe that Rengifo can be the answer to our 2B issues and even if not I think Fletcher is good enough to play that role for us for the next couple years. Not to mention you still have Cozart who with Fletcher's emergence I would trade him for literally anything to get that salary off the books, but if not still provides value to the team with above average defense and some pop. Obviously a RF is a need too but I think making any big signing there risks blocking Adell's path to the team, I wouldn't mind one more season of Calhoun with Adell coming up towards the end of next season.

So for me I think we should focus on two main signings: a big top caliber batter that can really help reshape the lineup and the most glaring need for this team a serious closer. I'm not picky when it comes to closers but we need anyone who can be that type of high leverage guy, someone like Kelvin Herrera would be perfect for this team, young and growing into a closer role. I think the bullpen is really not as bad as it appears its just missing the most important piece. You get Middleton back next year hopefully healthy and can put him in a set up role and let Anderson, Alvarez, Robles, Pena, Meyer, Cole etc. make up the rest of the pen and we are really not in that bad of shape.

That bullpen to go with a rotation of Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, and either Suarez, Canning, or some free agent (obviously Corbin would be ideal but I don't know if we're going to be willing to spend that kind of money on a SP after all the injury problems this year) and you have a pretty solid pitching staff overall.

To be realistic I think 2020 is the year we are really going to push for anything, I want to believe it can be next season but it's hard to envision Shohei pitching at a consistent health which is what we really need to take this team to the next level, I can't even remember the last time we had a true ace. To go along with that I think 2020 can be Adell's first full season and hopefully Ward, Thaiss, and Marsh can also be making an impact by then. It's been a gloomy year but I still think the future is bright for this team.

+1, I'm especially frustrated with the many stop gap flops acquired the past 2-3 seasons by Billy.

Except they should wait until Arenado is a FA, and see how Ward does at 3B over the next year.   Arenado will command far too many top 10 Halos prospects via trade, including probably the top prospect Adell.    Adell should be untouchable as a potential future franchise player.

Arenado >>> Machado in numbers, fielding, and maturity; and is an O.C. product.

If they bring in a FA starting pitcher, Corbin should be the target.    RHP, only 29 to start the 2019 season, durable outside of the UCL surgery 4 years ago, and probably not cost an arm and a leg money wise.

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

+1, I'm especially frustrated with the many stop gap flops acquired the past 2-3 seasons by Billy.

Except they should wait until Arenado is a FA, and see how Ward does at 3B over the next year.   Arenado will command far too many top 10 Halos prospects via trade, including probably the top prospect Adell.    Adell should be untouchable as a potential future franchise player.

Arenado >>> Machado in numbers, fielding, and maturity.

If they bring in a FA starting pitcher, Corbin should be the target.    RHP, only 29 to start the 2019 season, durable outside of the UCL surgery 4 years ago, and probably not cost an arm and a leg money wise.

Corbin's a lefty. He'll be coveted by quite a few this offseason too, and the Yankees are said to have interest. He's from NY.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, stanick88 said:

And if Donalson was to get hurt, that’s why we would have Cozart as utility and Thaiss/Ward should be ready for their cup of Major League coffee (If they haven’t already by that point).  

Not a chance, don't even go there. I'm tired of signing old farts to this team. That's why I'd like to bring up Ward now and play him everyday for awhile, to see if he is going to be worth giving him 3B next season or not. If not there must a better option to play 3B than Donaldson. I was all for trading for Donaldson 3-4 years ago but not now. I'm good with Fletcher playing 2B next season though.

We need a quality starter and some reliable bullpen arms next season, we just can't keep losing games in the late innings with this terrible pen.

2 hours ago, Anaheim Ohtanitrouts said:

I'm not really counting on Ohtani pitching next season, if Richards hadn't re-injured his UCL I might be more confident in the stem cell, platelet rich injections method, but Richards did re-injure his elbow and now is having TJ surgery, so I feel it is important to sign a quality SP for next year.

I might be OK with Ward playing 3B and Fletcher at 2B next season. We just need to give Ward some time this year to make that call going forward. It doesn't look like we're going to the playoffs anyway. The money we save signing an expensive IF could be spent on pitching. If Ohtani does have to TJ surgery we could also get an impact bat to play 1B.

20 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm not really counting on Ohtani pitching next season, if Richards hadn't re-injured his UCL I might be more confident in the stem cell, platelet rich injections method, but Richards did re-injure his elbow and now is having TJ surgery, so I feel it is important to sign a quality SP for next year.

I might be OK with Ward playing 3B and Fletcher at 2B next season. We just need to give Ward some time this year to make that call going forward. It doesn't look like we're going to the playoffs anyway. The money we save signing an expensive IF could be spent on pitching. If Ohtani does have to TJ surgery we could also get an impact bat to play 1B.

Yeah in my original post I mentioned that I did not think Shohei would be pitching at full health in 2019 and that 2020 would be a more realistic goal for his full return to the rotation. I agree on Ward and hope to see him up getting at bats very soon

They have 116.5 Million committed to 6 players: Trout, Pujols, Upton, Cozart, Simmons and Calhoun.

That leaves roughly $50 Million to fill out the roster, if they target the same opening day payroll they did the last three year, at around $166M. That doesn't account for the additional $20M spent to acquire Ohtani, or the additional payroll expenses for 40 man roster, etc.

Richards going down with TJ saves them from having to commit or not commit money to a guy whose injuries have hurt his success over the last three years. Yet, he could be brought back on a low cost 2 year deal as some TJ bound players going into FA have done.

Club Control guys will be maybe as many as 6-8 roster spots not including bullpen guys. (Ohtani, Meyer, Barria, Briceno, Bridwell, Fletcher, Etc.)

So that gives you half to 2/3 of a roster.

The Angels do have 10 guys eligible for arbitration: (Shoemaker, Ramirez, Skaggs, Parker, Bedrosian, Alvarez, Robles, Heaney, Marte, Tropeano). Only Skaggs, Parker, Bedrosian, Heaney and Tropeano are virtually guaranteed to be back, if they are not traded at a cost of around $25M total. Shoemaker, Ramirez, and Marte are likely to be non-tendered, and Robles and Alvarez are up in the air.

So with my math there, you have at least 20 spots filled at a cost of around $140-145M.

The positions that are "filled" are: CF, 1B/DH, RF, SS, 2B/3B, LF, DH/SP, 5-6 SP candidates, 4-5 relief arms.

You do not have a Starting Catcher. You do not have a clear starting 2B unless it's Fletcher or Cozart. You do not have a clear leadoff hitter unless it's Calhoun or Cozart. You need a late inning bullpen arm. You need another 1B/3B guy.

They actually can fill all of these needs from the farm except Catcher. Grandal is my pick, but they could easily bring back Maldonado,  or go for Ramos.

If they break the bank, they could go for Machado at 3B (moving Cozart to 2nd and Fletcher to util), Grandal, and Keuchel.