• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WT Serious F Manfred?

floplag

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except for the single fact that baseball is constantly being ripped on for not marketing their players.  ESPN recently had too 100 Athletes in the World.  There were 3 cricket players and zero baseball players.  

This would have been more of a question to question why MLB doesn’t market their players. They were being critical of Manfred and he answered, nothing wrong with the answer.  

i agree with that a point, but for Manfred to put it back on Trout and pass the buck.  They didnt ask why MLB doesnt market, did they.  
See of it what you will, i see a man passing the buck trying to put pressure on the player to be something or somewhere he doesnt want to be 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I read that article and I am incapable of being irate about this.  My guess is he is absolutely right about Trout.  We have said on here many of times he is an awful interview, he is a boring dude, who happens to be the best in the world at his craft.  That doesn’t make him marketable.  Sometimes you have to be willing to push yourself in order to improve in things like marketability.  

....because everyone remembers great players because of their interview personas. 

33 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Is it true that Harper was mic’d Up and was actually cool and called Trout the best?  And was not actually dooshy?  If so, anyone have a link to a vid?  I missed it.

yes, it's true.

42 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Is it true that Harper was mic’d Up and was actually cool and called Trout the best?  And was not actually dooshy?  If so, anyone have a link to a vid?  I missed it.

Yea. He was cool and did admit to Trout being the best. He was a little weirded out by Joe Buck being a dumb ass, but that’s understandable.

I asked the question. 

Everyone writes these stories all the time about how Trout isn’t a big enough celebrity. I know the reasons are 

1. Trout doesn’t want to be 

2. The Angels haven’t been good enough. 

So I asked Manfred if, given 1 and 2, there’s anything MLB can do about it, or if they even view it as a problem. 

He basically said it’s up to Trout whether he wants to be marketed. That was it. I didn’t take it as a slap to Trout at all. In my story I used the part of the quote where he said Trout is great, we all love him, he’s a nice guy, and he decided this is what he wants to do. 

The truth is that the East Coast bias of the MLB wants Trout to play in New York or Boston, and they have a hard time understanding that maybe Trout doesn't give a flying f*ck about being the face of baseball or being a huge star. The dude just wants to play baseball, have fun, and go to the playoffs. He seemed pretty content with Ohtani getting the buzz in spring training. He is just a low key player.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

I read that article and I am incapable of being irate about this.  My guess is he is absolutely right about Trout.  We have said on here many of times he is an awful interview, he is a boring dude, who happens to be the best in the world at his craft.  That doesn’t make him marketable.  Sometimes you have to be willing to push yourself in order to improve in things like marketability.  

Five seconds of watching Mike Trout interact with fans at every single game in any city and any conversation of his need to engage is over with.   It's a stupid comment --  I get the point he's making but I think he could have worded it better.

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked the question. 

Everyone writes these stories all the time about how Trout isn’t a big enough celebrity. I know the reasons are 

1. Trout doesn’t want to be 

2. The Angels haven’t been good enough. 

So I asked Manfred if, given 1 and 2, there’s anything MLB can do about it, or if they even view it as a problem. 

He basically said it’s up to Trout whether he wants to be marketed. That was it. I didn’t take it as a slap to Trout at all. In my story I used the part of the quote where he said Trout is great, we all love him, he’s a nice guy, and he decided this is what he wants to do. 

Do you think MLB could do a better job of marketing it's players?   When you watch other sports they seem to go out of their way to showcase players -- do you think some of it has to do with a fear of players gaining even more bargaining power by becoming even more popular with fans?   I ask because I do believe that a lot of ownership decisions are made with an eye towards the bottom dollar -- not faulting that so much as acknowledging the reality that the players union in MLB has always been ridiculously more powerful than in any other sport.