• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Demoting Calhoun

Lou

47 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You sure?  I am certain I  read that about other players DFA.

Or is there a difference based on experience of the player?

If a team claims a player off waivers and has a viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

• arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
  • rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
  • do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and place the player on its active major league roster.

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season—a subsequent waiver would be irrevocable with a claiming team getting the player essentially for nothing.

If no team claims a player off waivers after three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded (to any team), or released outright.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Regarding Calhoun’s contractual status...

If they ask him to accept an option, it’s up to him to accept or refuse. If he accepts, he’s optioned and goes to AAA just like anyone else. 

If he refuses, and the Angels still want him off the roster, they have to DFA him. During that time they can try to trade him, in which case another team would take on all of his contract unless the Angels agree to eat some.

If they want to get him to the minors, they’d have to put him through waivers to outright him. Any team could claim him, but if they do, they take the whole contract. If no one claims him, he goes to the minors as a regular non-roster guy.

I actually don’t think he’d refuse the option and if it got to him being DFA’d I’m not sure anyone would claim him because of the money left. 

Hey Jeff, truly appreciate your insight here all the time. Curious if you know if anyone has asked Kole about the shift and if he's doing anything different as a result. He's progressively seen more shifts in last 4 years, up from 23% of the time in 2015 to 68% so far this year. Is it in his head? Any thoughts on that? 

2 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Well then F*ck, sir.

Was watching on gameday, but still, both of these threads have succeeded games that he saved in the 9th on double plays; just srange.

All good, I didn't see the baserunning error live, either, have to thank everybody here for making me look it up, ha. 

18 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

I'd say he's at the point where he probably knows if he doesn't turn it around somewhere (AAA) or somehow his career could be over. Earlier in the season he'd have not liked it but now it's do or die.

I think you're right. His career could be hanging in the balance right now. If he doesn't figure out how to hit a baseball again, this could be the end of it. Not the first time it's happened to a major league ballplayer.

Some how, some way they just need to figure out if he's done.  If that means getting him to agree to going to AAA, so be it.  We all want him to succeed.  It kills me to see him struggle.  I want him to get back to his old self in the worst way.  This team needs him.

He deserves a shot at turning it around.  He's earned it.  And huge kudos to him for not allowing his offensive struggles to impact his defense.  The dude still comes to play every single day. 

I don't care how good his defense is, his bat is so awful he shouldn't be starting - or even in the majors. And he's getting worse. His BA and OPS is at a season low. They guy is not figuring it out, he's getting worse.

I'd say, "Kole, we want to send you to the minors to fix your swing so you can help us win the World Series." I think he'd accept that.

Does ti help the club to do it is the real question.  
Its very easy to look at his struggles in a vacuum, but whos going to take that spot? 
Theyve tried a couple things so far that havent worked out, who do you want to plug in there?  
And is a little better BA worth the lose defensively?  His glove has saved as many games as the bullpen has (exaggeration, barely).
This isnt a simple as people make it out to be.   

13 hours ago, 101halo said:

Interesting, statcast doesn't agree with some of the batted ball stats on FG. But, most interesting thing in the link below is the % of the time he's seen the shift:

2015 - 23%

2016 - 40%

2017 - 45%

2018 - 68%

KC Statcast

Seems like the shift is the key difference, and probably to the point it's changed his approach, and that change has been, uh, less than successful. 

You know, I believe there is a lot of merit to this.  Hes either trying to hard to hit around it or into it or whatever and its jacked him up.

50 minutes ago, floplag said:

Does ti help the club to do it is the real question.  
Its very easy to look at his struggles in a vacuum, but whos going to take that spot? 
Theyve tried a couple things so far that havent worked out, who do you want to plug in there?  
And is a little better BA worth the lose defensively?  His glove has saved as many games as the bullpen has (exaggeration, barely).
This isnt a simple as people make it out to be.   

Actually, it kind of is. It isn't like Kole is just slumping. He is hitting .154, with a .396 OPS - and it almost June. If he was hitting .200 with a .600 OPS, it might make sense to let him work things out, but he is so bad that he's really hurting the team.

And they haven't really tried Michael Hermosillo yet. Again, a player doesn't have to be very good, even good at all, to be better than Kole.