• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Demoting Calhoun

Lou

Yeah, my first reaction, as it is with most veterans, is to say no. But I think he has to realize that he can be called up if he just puts a good week or so of good ABs due to our lack of OF replacements.

2 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Yup.

That's Eppler's job to convince him that it's in his best long term interest to go down and work on his swing.

That's every GMs job and you still see many veteran players refuse the demotion. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

He's a great 4th outfielder, late defensive replacement for RF because of his arm and range. 

I think since his bat has declined since last June, we're not going to get anymore offense out of the guy in a starting role IMO. 

But damn, he's good defensively. 

That's the rub. Would he accept being a 4th OFer?

I highly doubt it.

Just now, Lou said:

I highly doubt it.

I doubt it too, though he has been batting 8th and 9th and riding the pine lately without any reports of him whining, 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I highly doubt it.

He doesn't have a choice to accept the 4th OF assignment.   His choices are to accept going down, 4th outfield , or retire.

However that's all contingent the team wants him as 4th outfielder.

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Does he have to accept it. Can’t they send him and if he gets claimed he gets claimed?

He has too much value defensively to pay him to play for someone else

Just now, stormngt said:

He doesn't have a choice to accept the 4th OF assignment.   His choices are to accept going down, 4th outfield , or retire.

However that's all contingent the team wants him as 4th outfielder.

He has too much value defensively to pay him to play for someone else

If he gets claimed don’t they take on the contract?

I'm really confused about how he completely forgot how to hit. Looking at FG and statcast data, only thing I can come up with is that the prevalence of the shift affected him worst than most and that he's been trying to adjust and just hasn't been able. He's hitting a truckload of grounders, but isn't pulling more, he's hitting more up the middle. Almost like he's trying to go the other way but just can't. He's swinging less at strikes, but more at balls. Are those all on the outer half, where he's trying to flip them to LF but instead weakly grounding up the middle. 

I say bench him and let him come in defensively late in games (only when there are runners are base, Hermosillo is faster than Kole). Kole should learn how to bunt, and he should choke up on the bat to punch the ball the other way (no more uppercut swing) if he ever finds himself in the batters box again.

Interesting, statcast doesn't agree with some of the batted ball stats on FG. But, most interesting thing in the link below is the % of the time he's seen the shift:

2015 - 23%

2016 - 40%

2017 - 45%

2018 - 68%

KC Statcast

Seems like the shift is the key difference, and probably to the point it's changed his approach, and that change has been, uh, less than successful.