• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's time...

Chuck

14 minutes ago, stormngt said:

DFA Valbueno and Young.  Part time players do not have the luxury of "working things out". Bring up a couple of prospects.

This literally does nothing as it relates to helping the team.  It is symbolic.  Also since they are part time players, good luck finding minor league players, used to getting their reps, that can come in, play 2-3 times a week and perform.  Why start their clock for part time positions.  

5 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

This literally does nothing as it relates to helping the team.  It is symbolic.  Also since they are part time players, good luck finding minor league players, used to getting their reps, that can come in, play 2-3 times a week and perform.  Why start their clock for part time positions.  

What do you mean it does nothing to help the team? If you can find guys who will perform better than the zero you're getting out of your bench right now, you don't think that helps? Valbuena is a nothing player. Can't hit and can't defend. Who gives a F*ck if he can "play" 3rd? Young is a tired vet

Your other points are valid.

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

The team as currently constructed is not built to win. It’s still a middle of the pack type of club. We have a few really young farm guys that aren’t ready to play and a few old guys that aren’t playing well that won’t leave. And the bulk of the budget is spent. 

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

What do you mean it does nothing to help the team? If you can find guys who will perform better than the zero you're getting out of your bench right now, you don't think that helps? Valbuena is a nothing player. Can't hit and can't defend. Who gives a F*ck if he can "play" 3rd? Young is a tired vet

Your other points are valid.

Ok, so are you ready for Cowart instead of Valbuena?  I am.  But being a utility/part time player is not as easy as it seems.  So you want to bring up a minor league player, start his clock, have him learn how to be a major league player, and do this while starting 2-3 times a week?  I don’t see how that helps the player develop at all.  I am not trying to be argumentative, it just seems like it is a recipe for disaster not just for the actual team, but for the development of that player.  

6 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

The team as currently constructed is not built to win. It’s still a middle of the pack type of club. We have a few really young farm guys that aren’t ready to play and a few old guys that aren’t playing well that won’t leave. And the bulk of the budget is spent. 

Cool.  Not sure what any of that has to do with what you quoted, but hi I guess.  

28 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Ok, so are you ready for Cowart instead of Valbuena?  I am.  But being a utility/part time player is not as easy as it seems.  So you want to bring up a minor league player, start his clock, have him learn how to be a major league player, and do this while starting 2-3 times a week?  I don’t see how that helps the player develop at all.  I am not trying to be argumentative, it just seems like it is a recipe for disaster not just for the actual team, but for the development of that player.  

Cowart is 25 years old so it's sink or swim time for him. When he was 23 it was a different story, but it's Time to find out if he has a future as a role player on this team and the only way to do that is to call him up and have him play a few times a week and see how he does.  I believe he's rule 5 eligible at the end of the year (but I could be wrong). Who cares about his service time? That's the last thing you should be concerned about with a player like Cowart

I do feel he would bring more to the team than a hole like Valbuena

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Cowart is 25 years old so it's sink or swim time for him. When he was 23 it was a different story, but it's Time to find out if he has a future as a role player on this team and the only way to do that is to call him up and have him play a few times a week and see how he does.  I believe he's rule 5 eligible at the end of the year (but I could be wrong). Who cares about his service time? That's the last thing you should be concerned about with a player like Cowart

I do feel he would bring more to the team than a hole like Valbuena

Yea, I am good with that.  I know he offers more versatility than Valbuena and better defense.  If you bring him up. You might be able to get rid of Marte as well.  

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Add Kinsler to that and put Kole and Cozart as bench players till they find their bat

They can give Kinsler more time.  Cozart has a multi year contract, they will give him another.

Although I would agree with you they haven't earn their paychecks 

59 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

We have either gets enough PT that his replacement can get enough at bats.  The idea is that young is dfa.  Kole gets moved to the bench and the rookie gets consistent reps.

We cant give it another month or so to see if Young or Valbueno snap out of it.  Kole has a multi year contract so I would suggest regulate him to 4th OF and the prospect to start. 

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

They can give Kinsler more time.  Cozart has a multi year contract, they will give him another.

Although I would agree with you they haven't earn their paychecks 

It's funny, after the first week of the season, people were saying that Cozart was the steal of the offseason.  Fast forward 1.5 months later, and here we are, discussing how he's awful.  Ah, baseball.

I would be shocked if there were whole sale changes. 

That being said - I don't expect Kinlser to last and Kole is on a short leash. 

Albert is not going anywhere - but some of you will continue to push that narrative. It's a pipe dream.

They need to be careful on adding bullpen arms... no Vinnie Pestano for Clevinger deals, please.

It's funny... some of you are much more vocal when the team is struggling. It's as if you get pleasure in it...

This team got my hopes up early. They suck right now  - but that's baseball.  Any dip in performance gives some of you fuel for your tired narrative. This is AW at its worst.

In years passed, we had no other option than to dance with the girl we brought.  

we've got options now.   

I know we aren't going to replace pujols even though we should.  but how about giving fletcher a shot at 2b? Or JMF time at 2b/3b?  You don't have toe release LVB or Kinsler to make that happen.  How about a mystery injury?  An argument not to start a clock is dumb for a team with playoff aspirations.  We're not the marlins.  

Chris Young has an OPS+ of 47.  Kinsler 61.  Calhoun 12.  Herm is 2/6 with a hbp and 2 doubles so far.  Chris Young sucks.  

I'd rather see a hungry young up and coming player fail than a worn out vet.  

If JMF, Fletcher, Cowart and Ward (when healthy) replaced LVB, Young, Kinsler and Pujols, we'd be no worse for wear.  We'd be the same with more upside.  

It's not all or nothing.  they can manipulate the system and get some guys a look without blowing things up.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

In years passed, we had no other option than to dance with the girl we brought.  

we've got options now.   

I know we aren't going to replace pujols even though we should.  but how about giving fletcher a shot at 2b? Or JMF time at 2b/3b?  You don't have toe release LVB or Kinsler to make that happen.  How about a mystery injury?  An argument not to start a clock is dumb for a team with playoff aspirations.  We're not the marlins.  

Chris Young has an OPS+ of 47.  Kinsler 61.  Calhoun 12.  Herm is 2/6 with a hbp and 2 doubles so far.  Chris Young sucks.  

I'd rather see a hungry young up and coming player fail than a worn out vet.  

If JMF, Fletcher, Cowart and Ward (when healthy) replaced LVB, Young, Kinsler and Pujols, we'd be no worse for wear.  We'd be the same with more upside.  

It's not all or nothing.  they can manipulate the system and get some guys a look without blowing things up.  

I do think it's a shame Herm is spending quite a bit of time on the bench.  I want him to play daily or close to it, whether he's up with us or in AAA.  Can't just have the guy sit most starts and expect him to reach his potential.

I agree with you - the kids you referenced would, at least, replicate the current production of the veterans, and likely be an improvement.  JMF can take over for Valbuena, Fletcher for Kinsler, have Hermosillo become the RF and push Calhoun to the 4th OFer, release Young, etc.  Pujols, well, I mean, we all know he is staying, so as much as I'd like to dream that he's going away, he is not.

I am not concerned about starting the clock early for any of those guys - JMF is already 30, Fletcher is looking good but probably is nothing more than an average 2B (and we appear to be developing better options), Hermosillo would likely just be a placeholder for the upcoming Trout/Adell/Marsh era, etc.

10 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It's funny... some of you are much more vocal when the team is struggling. It's as if you get pleasure in it...

This team got my hopes up early. They suck right now  - but that's baseball.  Any dip in performance gives some of you fuel for your tired narrative. This is AW at its worst.

baseball is a game of adjustments and options.  You don't have to rest on your laurels.  Just because Ian Kinsler was incredible 3 years ago, doesn't mean you can't let an up and coming prospect take some of his at bats.  It's not like you'd be replacing him with a retread scrub.  

We're not used to having legit replacements and maybe the ones we have aren't, but let find out.  could it be much worse?