• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade to address RF

9 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

What's your point...

As pointed out, several players have played multiple positions...they are usually called utility players....Turner played 45 games in CF....

A team like the Angels under Epplers leadership is a team  built on defense first. 

The original point was that if you have a chance to add a hitter like Machado for a reasonable price then you do it because you can always move players to different positions to accommodate a big bat.  And I've listed plenty of examples of players who have moved positions to accommodate a big hitter or to prolong ones career (in Biggio's case).

Are you telling me you wouldn't bring in Machado, even if he was a free agent who madly wanted to come here (maybe he loves Disneyland) just because we have Simmons?

13 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

Biggie went from catcher to 2nd.  Soooo rediculous 

Any more hall of famers you want to throw out?

I'd add also that those switches were calculated during an offseason which allowed the player to prepare and adjust even before spring training. 

I cannot think of a time it happened during the season. 

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Any more hall of famers you want to throw out?

I'd add also that those switches were calculated during an offseason which allowed the player to prepare and adjust even before spring training. 

I cannot think of a time it happened during the season. 

"In spring training in 2016, Turner competed with Danny Espinosa and Stephen Drew to be the Nationals starting shortstop.[30] The Nationals optioned Turner to Syracuse at the end of spring training.[31] Turner was called up on June 3, 2016, for a three-game series against the Cincinnati Reds. He went 3-for-3 with a walk in his first game of the season at the major league level, playing second base and shortstop.[32]He was optioned back to Syracuse at the end of the series, as first baseman Ryan Zimmerman was reactivated from paternity leave.[33]

With Michael A. Taylor and Ben Revere turning in lackluster offensive performances as the Nationals' primary center fielders, and Espinosa performing well as the team's everyday shortstop, Turner began getting starts in center field with the Chiefs midway through the season. He debuted in center field on June 27, his first professional appearance as an outfielder,[34] and after being recalled by the Nationals in July, Turner made his first major league start in center field on July 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trea_Turner

11 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

The original point was that if you have a chance to add a hitter like Machado for a reasonable price then you do it because you can always move players to different positions to accommodate a big bat.  And I've listed plenty of examples of players who have moved positions to accommodate a big hitter or to prolong ones career (in Biggio's case).

Are you telling me you wouldn't bring in Machado, even if he was a free agent who madly wanted to come here (maybe he loves Disneyland) just because we have Simmons?

If Manny wanted to come to the Angels....I would move Simmons (preferably Manny) to 2b not to the OF....

Simmons would be a decent OFer, but he is GG caliber SS, a game changer...so if Manny would come to the Angels, he would be looking for a new position.....but it's all moot, as he will not be wearing Halo Red next year.  

1 minute ago, HaloNArizona said:

If Manny wanted to come to the Angels....I would move Simmons (preferably Manny) to 2b not to the OF....

Simmons would be a decent OFer, but he is GG caliber SS, a game changer...so if Manny would come to the Angels, he would be looking for a new position.....but it's all moot, as he will not be wearing Halo Red next year.  

I have no problem with that.  I just think maybe Kinsler is less suited for outfield so wouldn't want to move.

9 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

"In spring training in 2016, Turner competed with Danny Espinosa and Stephen Drew to be the Nationals starting shortstop.[30] The Nationals optioned Turner to Syracuse at the end of spring training.[31] Turner was called up on June 3, 2016, for a three-game series against the Cincinnati Reds. He went 3-for-3 with a walk in his first game of the season at the major league level, playing second base and shortstop.[32]He was optioned back to Syracuse at the end of the series, as first baseman Ryan Zimmerman was reactivated from paternity leave.[33]

With Michael A. Taylor and Ben Revere turning in lackluster offensive performances as the Nationals' primary center fielders, and Espinosa performing well as the team's everyday shortstop, Turner began getting starts in center field with the Chiefs midway through the season. He debuted in center field on June 27, his first professional appearance as an outfielder,[34] and after being recalled by the Nationals in July, Turner made his first major league start in center field on July 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trea_Turner

Yeah dumbass! He switched in the minor leagues. Not on the fly in the majors. 

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Yeah dumbass! He switched in the minor leagues. Not on the fly in the majors. 

No it was during the same season.  He played 2B, SS for the first half with the Nationals and Syracuse and then midway through switched to Centerfield with the Nats.  It was a mid season switch.

4 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Let me get this straight...you're ok to keep a guy hitting .094 in his last 23 games but not give a guy a chance to do something when he had 2 hits in 3 games?

Blash is a Greek tragedy in the outfield.

13 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

No it was during the same season.  He played 2B, SS for the first half with the Nationals and Syracuse and then midway through switched to Centerfield with the Nats.  It was a mid season switch.

He went back to the minors for almost a month to get reps at CF. He did not learn CF at the MLB level. 

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

He went back to the minors for almost a month to get reps at CF. He did not learn CF at the MLB level. 

So he switched mid season, not

"I'd add also that those switches were calculated during an offseason which allowed the player to prepare and adjust even before spring training. " as you originally stated.

1 hour ago, CubsFan said:

If the money and tax threshold was available, it would be tempting.   BUT, he would play 3B, or else they don't sign him.

1 hour ago, CubsFan said:

So he switched mid season, not

"I'd add also that those switches were calculated during an offseason which allowed the player to prepare and adjust even before spring training. " as you originally stated.

Sure buddy.  Send Simmons to aaa to learn RF for a month. New low here.  

2 hours ago, CubsFan said:

Biggie went from catcher to 2nd.  Soooo rediculous 

Damn you misspelled it twice!  I thought it might be a typo.  

I normally dont make a big deal because I make too many typos myself, but you misspelled it twice and you did believe it would be prudent to move Simmons to RF to accommodate Machado.

I do not want Machado.  Would rather have younger talent if such a trade occurs. Machado type trades are a recipe for future problems. I prefer long term solutions if any trade requires some serious talent from the farm

I don't move Simmons, Cozart goes to 2nd, Kinsler traded or DFA, and Machado to 3rd.  However that would never happen because Machado already said he wants to stay at SS.

And he is a free agent rental costing us too much for a position that's not a need.

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

While there are some similarities between Nelson Cruz and Jabari Blash, I believe Nelson Cruz's gains to be the work of performance enhancing drugs. 

I think the gains Blash has made have been the result of taking advice from a Hall of Famer and changing his swing.

I'd say Cruz's career turn had less to do with  PEDS than it did his own adjustments.  His Ah-ha! moment was when he opened up his stance.  Allowed him to start seeing the ball better and to cut down on his K's.  Wasn't quite as much of a dead pull hitter after that either.   

11 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Internal options likely to be explored prior to executing a trade:

One of E Young or Blash: Neither is ideal.  Blash has power but strikes out a ton and is a poor defensively so I wouldn't consider him anything more than a warm body.  E Young could be a temporary fill-in while Kole gets his head straight on a DL/Rehab stint from a phantom injury.  He can get on base and has speed to steal bases so he has some value.

Cowart: Saw him starting RF at SLC last night so it's obviously something they are exploring.  Between Cozart, Jose MIguel Fernandez, and David Fletcher, it seems the MIF options are getting pretty crowded so it will be interesting to see if Cowart can provide some defensive value all around field from 3B to 2B to 1B to OF.  So far, his bat the MLB level has been less than stellar but he's till young (25 going on 26), is hitting .325 .387 .905, can steal some bags and, I don't know, why the hell not?  Color me still intrigued.

Hermosillo: Has risen fast up the ranks, going from A+ to AAA in just a season, and has demonstrated enough speed and power to get excited but is he ready for the MLB?  The 45 K's in 32 games is not filling me with confidence and you're probably looking at a Sept call-up.

So, my gut?  We see E Young at some point maybe followed my Cowart if he gets comfortable in the OF before we see a trade.

F1B133AF-7AA0-4EA8-ACC0-4BC1E9AEFC2B.gif

things going well right now - not sure I'd make a deal that would mix with the team chemistry and deal away any key players.

at trade deadline time - coming up sooner than you think - might check around for a RF glove and some speed perhaps - but would not over-pay which is usually the case with deadline deals.......problem with finding a RF'er is you need the glove, speed and an ARM.......a speedster (no hit) guy like Coleman from Cincinnati wouldn't fit the bill.