• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade to address RF

20 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Angels will keep RF internal this year. 

1. Calhoun has the best chance of manning RF for the rest of the year.  He's an excellent defender and major league track record, as well as contract will keep him out there. 

2. Jabari Blash has  dibs on RF in Calhoun doesn't get it done.  Blast is already on the 40 man, they traded for him for a reason and he's absolutely destroying AAA. 

3. Chris Young would probably be third on the depth chart, simply because we don't have anyone else to play CF on the roster, and if he plays RF we'd need to promote a CF. 

4. Eric Young isn't lighting the world on fire in AAA or anything, but he's familiar and is probably fourth. 

5. Michael Hermosillo is fifth.  He has the actual upside to be a starting OF in the major leagues, but he's still refining a "whole field" approach in AAA and needs time.  But if he figures it out, he could leapfrog up to #1.  Still just 23. 

NOTE: Kaleb Cowart started in RF for Salt Lake last night. 

I don't know about this.  Eppler showed last year (Upton, Phillips) that if the team is in contention, he will pull the trigger on upgrades in areas the team needs them.  If by late June, Calhoun hasn't picked it up, I think he's going to do what's needed to grab a legit upgrade in RF.  I think he will be clever in upgrading the bullpen since that is his forte.  And I can see him grabbing no less than a #3 starter by the deadline.

Scotty, regarding Blash, my thought is that his career is a somewhat similar path to that of Nelson Cruz, who didn't become a starting OF until age 28 for the Rangers.  

He also, like Blash, struggled as a part-time MLB player for a couple of seasons prior with a mid .600s OPS.   Cruz finally broke out as a 27 year-old over 31 games with a 1.000+ OPS.

Both have good arms, but also questionable route taking.

Thoughts on possible comparisons?

27 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Angels will keep RF internal this year. 

1. Calhoun has the best chance of manning RF for the rest of the year.  He's an excellent defender and major league track record, as well as contract will keep him out there. 

2. Jabari Blash has  dibs on RF in Calhoun doesn't get it done.  Blast is already on the 40 man, they traded for him for a reason and he's absolutely destroying AAA. 

3. Chris Young would probably be third on the depth chart, simply because we don't have anyone else to play CF on the roster, and if he plays RF we'd need to promote a CF. 

4. Eric Young isn't lighting the world on fire in AAA or anything, but he's familiar and is probably fourth. 

5. Michael Hermosillo is fifth.  He has the actual upside to be a starting OF in the major leagues, but he's still refining a "whole field" approach in AAA and needs time.  But if he figures it out, he could leapfrog up to #1.  Still just 23. 

NOTE: Kaleb Cowart started in RF for Salt Lake last night. 

I agree with this. I think our bullpen should be the primary concern. We can dabble with this internally unless there's an injury.. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

SF isnt trading an OF, they still need one.  
The one that might work, if the Dogs woes continue, is Kemp, but somehow i dont see that.  
It makes Harper very appealing, but thats likely a dream. 
jones would be a thought, who knows.
right now if it isnt an obvious upgrade, keep running Calhoun out there.  i think he will be better

My dream offseason is for us to sign him beyond anyone else.  We have the payroll space to do it (with Kinsler unlikely to return, Valbuena's option not being picked up, etc).  

We'd need to offload Calhoun somewhere, which may not be possible given how badly he is playing now, but we could absolutely afford him, if we were so inclined.  We have a lot of internal options emerging now (thanks to the incredible improvements this farm system has made), so that we can make a big splash like that.  It is very unlikely, but it's not impossible IMO.

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

For every success story like Nelson Cruz - there are hundreds... probably even thousands who never pan out.  Nelson Cruz is Nelson Cruz - just because he panned out doesn't mean Blash will or that he even deserves a shot based on what Cruz did.

Let me get this straight...you're ok to keep a guy hitting .094 in his last 23 games but not give a guy a chance to do something when he had 2 hits in 3 games?

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

For every success story like Nelson Cruz - there are hundreds... probably even thousands who never pan out.  Nelson Cruz is Nelson Cruz - just because he panned out doesn't mean Blash will or that he even deserves a shot based on what Cruz did.

Not disagreeing, just sayin' to give the guy a chance.

I would give Calhoun the rest of this week, since Houston pitching is impossible to hit against anyway.   If he can't hit the Rays' so-so pitching, it's time to do something. 

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Let me get this straight...you're ok to keep a guy hitting .094 in his last 23 games but not give a guy a chance to do something when he had 2 hits in 3 games?

Not necessarily. 

I'm just saying it's unlikely that Blash becomes Nelson Cruz. 

44 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

My dream offseason is for us to sign him beyond anyone else.  We have the payroll space to do it (with Kinsler unlikely to return, Valbuena's option not being picked up, etc).  

We'd need to offload Calhoun somewhere, which may not be possible given how badly he is playing now, but we could absolutely afford him, if we were so inclined.  We have a lot of internal options emerging now (thanks to the incredible improvements this farm system has made), so that we can make a big splash like that.  It is very unlikely, but it's not impossible IMO.

No, its not impossible, and could make a great deal of sense, but im not holding my breath for the front office to make any more monster contract signings at this point.

Just now, floplag said:

No, its not impossible, and could make a great deal of sense, but im not holding my breath for the front office to make any more monster contract signings at this point.

I can understand - the sting of Pujols and Hamilton will linger on for a long time, and I likewise recognize we have Trout to tend to shortly, too.  Ohtani at some point, although he is years away from a giant contract, which should roughly occur as Pujols' contract expires.

Since I love to project things and play with numbers, in this dream scenario where we could land Harper, I'd give 2B to either Fletcher or Jose Fernandez, with Cozart staying at 3B.  1B will be manned by Pujols / Marte, with Thasis a possibility sometime next year, too.  Calhoun ... hopefully we can find a taker, but he'd have to certainly rebuild his value sometime this year to accomplish that.

We could have:  3B Cozart, CF Trout, RF Harper, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, 2B Fernandez / Fletcher, C Maldonado.  When Ohtani sits, Pujols DH's and Marte (or Fernandez?) can man 1B.  Thasis could be a possibility later in the year as well.

In terms of cost savings, not re-signing Kinsler and letting Valbuena go will save $$, so will having Jim Johnson depart as a FA, as will not offering contracts to Shoemaker + JC Ramirez, etc.

59 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Scotty, regarding Blash, my thought is that his career is a somewhat similar path to that of Nelson Cruz, who didn't become a starting OF until age 28 for the Rangers.  

He also, like Blash, struggled as a part-time MLB player for a couple of seasons prior with a mid .600s OPS.   Cruz finally broke out as a 27 year-old over 31 games with a 1.000+ OPS.

Both have good arms, but also questionable route taking.

Thoughts on possible comparisons?

While there are some similarities between Nelson Cruz and Jabari Blash, I believe Nelson Cruz's gains to be the work of performance enhancing drugs. 

I think the gains Blash has made have been the result of taking advice from a Hall of Famer and changing his swing.

I don't know why some of you bother going round and round with some of the obvious trolls... I have 3 of them on ignore right now (with more likely to be added) and it makes visiting this site much better.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I can understand - the sting of Pujols and Hamilton will linger on for a long time, and I likewise recognize we have Trout to tend to shortly, too.  Ohtani at some point, although he is years away from a giant contract, which should roughly occur as Pujols' contract expires.

Since I love to project things and play with numbers, in this dream scenario where we could land Harper, I'd give 2B to either Fletcher or Jose Fernandez, with Cozart staying at 3B.  1B will be manned by Pujols / Marte, with Thasis a possibility sometime next year, too.  Calhoun ... hopefully we can find a taker, but he'd have to certainly rebuild his value sometime this year to accomplish that.

We could have:  3B Cozart, CF Trout, RF Harper, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, 2B Fernandez / Fletcher, C Maldonado.  When Ohtani sits, Pujols DH's and Marte (or Fernandez?) can man 1B.  Thasis could be a possibility later in the year as well.

In terms of cost savings, not re-signing Kinsler and letting Valbuena go will save $$, so will having Jim Johnson depart as a FA, as will not offering contracts to Shoemaker + JC Ramirez, etc.

I think as we continue down the Pujols road, he will be able to play 1B less, so someone needs to get Ohtani a glove over there in my opinion.  He has the height and its a place of least risk to his body.  He needs to play defense at some point to keep the bat in the lineup more and DH will be less and less an option in the coming years.  

5 minutes ago, Glen said:

Right now we have two positions, RF and 2B, that are providing great/good defense and no offense. Of the two, I'm guessing 2B will be addressed first.

I think the real question is how to address it.  
Do we target an actual 2B, or stay the plan and go for a 3B (Moustakis redeaux) and shift Cozart as planned?

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think as we continue down the Pujols road, he will be able to play 1B less, so someone needs to get Ohtani a glove over there in my opinion.  He has the height and its a place of least risk to his body.  He needs to play defense at some point to keep the bat in the lineup more and DH will be less and less an option in the coming years.  

Yeah, I mean that definitely could be an option.  It depends on if the FO and Ohtani feel that playing the field is in his best interest, though.  I do think he'll continue to stay at DH, as they opt to have him focus on pitching and hitting without introducing a third area to focus on.  But yeah, if they ever decide to have him take the field, then perhaps 1B is best.

My hope is perhaps in two years or so, we can come to some agreement with Pujols where we can "medically retire," such that he gets his entire salary and is no longer on the roster.  Then he can transition into some sort of FO / ambassador role, as specified by his contract.

But going back to the original thought... so, Harper, eh?  :)

44 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, I mean that definitely could be an option.  It depends on if the FO and Ohtani feel that playing the field is in his best interest, though.  I do think he'll continue to stay at DH, as they opt to have him focus on pitching and hitting without introducing a third area to focus on.  But yeah, if they ever decide to have him take the field, then perhaps 1B is best.

My hope is perhaps in two years or so, we can come to some agreement with Pujols where we can "medically retire," such that he gets his entire salary and is no longer on the roster.  Then he can transition into some sort of FO / ambassador role, as specified by his contract.

But going back to the original thought... so, Harper, eh?  :)

economics. Can force him to retire anytime.  All we are obligated to do is pay off his contract.

1 hour ago, CubsFan said:

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

The fool. By definition, he is more foolish. I am only pointing out that a know-nothing seems to be posting an awful lot about how little he knows.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Machado plays SS now, we have an emerging superstar at SS, who is under contract for three more seasons.

How does bringing in Machado solve Kole's hitting issues?