• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade to address RF

I don't think there are any to be honest, at least in May or even June. 
Calhoun, whether we like it or not, will get at least another month's worth of opportunity - it may be interrupted by a AAA stint or a DL break or a platoon, but he's got another 30 games or so in the next two months that he'll use to try and find himself. 

Failing that, the Angels will rely on internal candidates - there just isn't much sense spending any prospect currency now on an OF when we may have more pressing needs on the pitching staff and while we have a handful of intriguing internal candidates, ranging from mediocre but presumably tolerable vets in both Youngs and Revere, a legit prospect in Hermosillo, and two lotto ticket psuedo-prospects in Blash and Liriano. 

Now, come July, if we're in the same boat, things will definitely open for discussion, but it's a little hard to tell who would be a prospective fit at this time...McCutchen? Adam Jones? Markakis? I'm sure it'd be of rental/stopgap nature.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

....Now, come July, if we're in the same boat, things will definitely open for discussion, but it's a little hard to tell who would be a prospective fit at this time...McCutchen? Adam Jones? Markakis? I'm sure it'd be of rental/stopgap nature.

The Mets seem to have an excess of OF'ers....

Internal options likely to be explored prior to executing a trade:

One of E Young or Blash: Neither is ideal.  Blash has power but strikes out a ton and is a poor defensively so I wouldn't consider him anything more than a warm body.  E Young could be a temporary fill-in while Kole gets his head straight on a DL/Rehab stint from a phantom injury.  He can get on base and has speed to steal bases so he has some value.

Cowart: Saw him starting RF at SLC last night so it's obviously something they are exploring.  Between Cozart, Jose MIguel Fernandez, and David Fletcher, it seems the MIF options are getting pretty crowded so it will be interesting to see if Cowart can provide some defensive value all around field from 3B to 2B to 1B to OF.  So far, his bat the MLB level has been less than stellar but he's till young (25 going on 26), is hitting .325 .387 .905, can steal some bags and, I don't know, why the hell not?  Color me still intrigued.

Hermosillo: Has risen fast up the ranks, going from A+ to AAA in just a season, and has demonstrated enough speed and power to get excited but is he ready for the MLB?  The 45 K's in 32 games is not filling me with confidence and you're probably looking at a Sept call-up.

So, my gut?  We see E Young at some point maybe followed my Cowart if he gets comfortable in the OF before we see a trade.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

just....

O's have the 2nd worst record in baseball.  They might as well get something for him.  They aren't going to the playoffs with the Yankess and Redsox in the way.

Someone is going to profit from him just like with Verlander (who nobody thought was worth trading for last year).

2 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

O's have the 2nd worst record in baseball.  They might as well get something for him.  They aren't going to the playoffs with the Yankess and Redsox in the way.

Someone is going to profit from him just like with Verlander (who nobody thought was worth trading for last year).

i would never give them top prospects for a rental. Plus, he won't play anywhere but SS apparently. 

The Angels will keep RF internal this year. 

1. Calhoun has the best chance of manning RF for the rest of the year.  He's an excellent defender and major league track record, as well as contract will keep him out there. 

2. Jabari Blash has  dibs on RF in Calhoun doesn't get it done.  Blast is already on the 40 man, they traded for him for a reason and he's absolutely destroying AAA. 

3. Chris Young would probably be third on the depth chart, simply because we don't have anyone else to play CF on the roster, and if he plays RF we'd need to promote a CF. 

4. Eric Young isn't lighting the world on fire in AAA or anything, but he's familiar and is probably fourth. 

5. Michael Hermosillo is fifth.  He has the actual upside to be a starting OF in the major leagues, but he's still refining a "whole field" approach in AAA and needs time.  But if he figures it out, he could leapfrog up to #1.  Still just 23. 

NOTE: Kaleb Cowart started in RF for Salt Lake last night. 

58 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Now, come July, if we're in the same boat, things will definitely open for discussion, but it's a little hard to tell who would be a prospective fit at this time...McCutchen? Adam Jones? Markakis? I'm sure it'd be of rental/stopgap nature.

Cutch? 

SF isn't going to trade him. 

13 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

Cubs broadcasters mentioned yesterday that they were apparently in the mix for Machado. 

I’d go after someone soon that is playing well this year but is able to perform well as a 4th outfielder.  Someone who can step in and start now, but if Kole gets back to being a productive bat, can slide in to being an effective 4th outfielder.  Someone like Jon Jay.  

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Angels will keep RF internal this year. 

1. Calhoun has the best chance of manning RF for the rest of the year.  He's an excellent defender and major league track record, as well as contract will keep him out there. 

2. Jabari Blash has  dibs on RF in Calhoun doesn't get it done.  Blast is already on the 40 man, they traded for him for a reason and he's absolutely destroying AAA. 

3. Chris Young would probably be third on the depth chart, simply because we don't have anyone else to play CF on the roster, and if he plays RF we'd need to promote a CF. 

4. Eric Young isn't lighting the world on fire in AAA or anything, but he's familiar and is probably fourth. 

5. Michael Hermosillo is fifth.  He has the actual upside to be a starting OF in the major leagues, but he's still refining a "whole field" approach in AAA and needs time.  But if he figures it out, he could leapfrog up to #1.  Still just 23. 

NOTE: Kaleb Cowart started in RF for Salt Lake last night. 

RF is staying internal, I fully agree.  We will NOT trade for an OF, unless some team is literally giving one away.

Keep the farm intact and keep them developing.  If we are to make trades, I imagine it'll be to target significant bullpen upgrades - Brad Hand, IMO, should be our main target, with Kelvim Herrera a #2 option if Hand's price tag is too exorbitant.

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

Cubs broadcasters mentioned yesterday that they were apparently in the mix for Machado. 

It's something like Addison Russell (who I don't like anyway and think is overrated), Mike Montgomery (expendable), top pitching prospect, and Ian Happ (expendable).

I would actually do that but not if it takes us out of the Bryce Harper sweepstakes.  I would rather have Bryce Harper.

SF isnt trading an OF, they still need one.  
The one that might work, if the Dogs woes continue, is Kemp, but somehow i dont see that.  
It makes Harper very appealing, but thats likely a dream. 
jones would be a thought, who knows.
right now if it isnt an obvious upgrade, keep running Calhoun out there.  i think he will be better