• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole in the last 28 days - .280/.333/.680/1.013

This is the worst slump I've ever seen from a Major League ball player that has a history of being a successful player. This isn't Brandon Wood who was never going to be able to hit MLB pitching no matter what. 

This guy has been good for at least half a decade. I'm struggling to even call this a slump. I think he's turning into Steve Sax (but the head problems are with the bat, not the glove)

2 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Hey Jars, you should spend half the time you bitch about Scioscia and watch other teams play.  Jackie Bradley Jr is batting .171 and has more at bats this year that Kole.  Ian Desmond for the Rockies is batting well under .200 every night.  The starting center fielder for the Nationals, his name escapes me, but I noticed last night on ESPN he was hitting a buck something.  My guess is all of those guys are starting because there are not decent options.  We certainly don’t have one.  If it were up to me we would do exactly what you said.  We would send Kole down and call up Hermosillo.  Do I think he will be better than Kole if Kole were to get back to even last years numbers, no, but it is time to do something.  

We aren't talking about other teams. We are talking about Mike Scioscia. There are always options. His name isn't etched in stone in the lineup. While I agree that Eppler needs to make a move and do it quickly, Scioscia still shouldn't be penciling his name out there every day. Hell throw Marte in RF, the dip in his defensive production vs the gain in his offensive production would probably balance out. I can't stand how much you defend someone for making the same boneheaded moves over and over. Just like you think i'm trolling because I point out his flaws. The days of "what else do you want him to do" are over. If you expect to compete at the highest level (in that I mean winning a world series) then YOU as a fan should expect more from him. If you're ok with below average to medioacre at best seasons that end up in a wild card race in September vs playing well enough to win it all then that's on you. I'm sick and tired of mediocrity with this team. That doesn't make me a troll it makes me passionate about the team I want to see succeed.

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

This is the worst slump I've ever seen from a Major League ball player that has a history of being a successful player. This isn't Brandon Wood who was never going to be able to hit MLB pitching no matter what. 

This guy has been good for at least half a decade. I'm struggling to even call this a slump. I think he's turning into Steve Sax (but the head problems are with the bat, not the glove)

This is the offensive version of Chuck Knoblauch. He was literally airmailing it into the stands from 2nd base. Someone should put Jobu in his locker or hire a self help guru because he looks completely toast.

This reminds me of the time Salmon went like 0-50 the last year of his career lol

But in all seriousness, if we put him on waivers, somebody WILL grab him. He has too much upside. And hey, he's not terrible for a 4th OF. He plays solid defense. It's just a shame that we don't have anyone decent to replace him in the starting role. 

...Unless we start Ohtani in RF

What? That's crazy...

6 minutes ago, laagamer said:

This reminds me of the time Salmon went like 0-50 the last year of his career lol

But in all seriousness, if we put him on waivers, somebody WILL grab him. He has too much upside. And hey, he's not terrible for a 4th OF. He plays solid defense. It's just a shame that we don't have anyone decent to replace him in the starting role. 

What? That's crazy...

What upside?

Beefaroni's 30 years old and a 257 career hitter, who hits about 18 homers a year.

That's pretty stinky for an outfielder.  Wouldn't be bad for a 2nd basemen or catcher which he's not.

4 minutes ago, laagamer said:

What? That's crazy...

Constitute decent? Last time I checked .167 isn't decent and can be found on just about any major league bench. Yes his defense is outstanding but they don't make designated defenders. Justin upton plays mediocre defense but his ability to hit makes him more valuable imo than someone making acrobatic diving catches. I don't believe in the notion that even though he's 0-4 but he dives and prevents a base hit a net wash.

6 minutes ago, laagamer said:

What? That's crazy...

Too much upside to pass up for minimum wage.  Exactly.  

That is also why they have given him such a long leash.  However right now the only way for Cole to turn it around is a voluntary demotion to AAA or we dfa him and he starts fresh someplace else.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

Constitute decent? Last time I checked .167 isn't decent and can be found on just about any major league bench. Yes his defense is outstanding but they don't make designated defenders. Justin upton plays mediocre defense but his ability to hit makes him more valuable imo than someone making acrobatic diving catches. I don't believe in the notion that even though he's 0-4 but he dives and prevents a base hit a net wash.

You want me to define decent?

Somebody that plays okay defense and hits ML average. 

Decent isn't simply someone that hits better than Kole, brother. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

We aren't talking about other teams. We are talking about Mike Scioscia. There are always options. His name isn't etched in stone in the lineup. While I agree that Eppler needs to make a move and do it quickly, Scioscia still shouldn't be penciling his name out there every day. Hell throw Marte in RF, the dip in his defensive production vs the gain in his offensive production would probably balance out. I can't stand how much you defend someone for making the same boneheaded moves over and over. Just like you think i'm trolling because I point out his flaws. The days of "what else do you want him to do" are over. If you expect to compete at the highest level (in that I mean winning a world series) then YOU as a fan should expect more from him. If you're ok with below average to medioacre at best seasons that end up in a wild card race in September vs playing well enough to win it all then that's on you. I'm sick and tired of mediocrity with this team. That doesn't make me a troll it makes me passionate about the team I want to see succeed.

Well, the response was due to the fact that Jars said, Kole is lucky that he has the only manager in the world that would trot him out there.  Which would imply that no other managers send shitty hitters out there. It happens.  And I wasn’t defending him, I was stating facts that other playoff caliber teams are doing the same thing.  I then at the end stated what I would do, which is different than what Scioscia is doing.  Yea, I think you constantly bitch about the guy.  I think you criticize the manager when he doesn’t have obvious better options with Kole.  Blash is going to be bad, he has never been good and he looked questionable in RF.  Lastly, there is a reason I said to put Kole in the minors and call up Hermosillo.  At least we would be able to see what our future looks like if Kole can’t get out of this.  Hermosillo is an actual prospect so he would be our future for now.  I thought Hermosillo looked awful in spring, but then again so did Ohtani and he is just fine.  A trip to AAA might allow Kole to get back to being the player he has been in the not so distant past.  If he gets back to that player, then he is the best option, because he would be adequate offensively and great defensively.   I am saying that because it is my opinion not because it is what Scioscia would do.  

I am going to make this really easy for you.  You think I am an asshole, I am pretty sure you know how I feel about you.  Put me on ignore, thanks in advance.  

Just now, laagamer said:

You want me to define decent?

Somebody that plays okay defense and hits ML average. 

Decent isn't simply someone that hits better than Kole, brother. 

That's fair but I would take someone who hits closer to ML average that plays mediocre defense vs someone like Kole who can't hit anything and makes the occasional great catch.

7 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

What upside?

Beefaroni's 30 years old and a 257 career hitter, who hits about 18 homers a year.

That's pretty stinky for an outfielder.  Wouldn't be bad for a 2nd basemen or catcher which he's not.

The upside is he was an above average player the past 5 years.

30 is not old

this is pretty obvious 

47 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Hey Jars, you should spend half the time you bitch about Scioscia and watch other teams play.  Jackie Bradley Jr is batting .171 and has more at bats this year that Kole.  Ian Desmond for the Rockies is batting well under .200 every night.  The starting center fielder for the Nationals, his name escapes me, but I noticed last night on ESPN he was hitting a buck something.  My guess is all of those guys are starting because there are not decent options.  We certainly don’t have one.  If it were up to me we would do exactly what you said.  We would send Kole down and call up Hermosillo.  Do I think he will be better than Kole if Kole were to get back to even last years numbers, no, but it is time to do something.  

+1, one difference between Cold and those other guys though is that those other guys all still have a significantly higher OPS than Cold.    Cold's .400 OPS after 1/4 of the season is the worst I can remember ANY Halos batter ever having.   Even worse than Edgardo Alfonzo's pathetic stats in 2006 before being released. 

If he is a true good teammate, he will okay a trip to SLC to get this fixed.   I can't see Hermosillo putting up an under .500 OPS up here, and he plays solid defense as well and will steal some bases.

3 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Well, the response was due to the fact that Jars said, Kole is lucky that he has the only manager in the world that would trot him out there.  Which would imply that no other managers send shitty hitters out there. It happens.  And I wasn’t defending him, I was stating facts that other playoff caliber teams are doing the same thing.  I then at the end stated what I would do, which is different than what Scioscia is doing.  Yea, I think you constantly bitch about the guy.  I think you criticize the manager when he doesn’t have obvious better options with Kole.  Blash is going to be bad, he has never been good and he looked questionable in RF.  Lastly, there is a reason I said to put Kole in the minors and call up Hermosillo.  At least we would be able to see what our future looks like if Kole can’t get out of this.  Hermosillo is an actual prospect so he would be our future for now.  I thought Hermosillo looked awful in spring, but then again so did Ohtani and he is just fine.  A trip to AAA might allow Kole to get back to being the player he has been in the not so distant past.  If he gets back to that player, then he is the best option, because he would be adequate offensively and great defensively.   I am saying that because it is my opinion not because it is what Scioscia would do.  

I am going to make this really easy for you.  You think I am an asshole, I am pretty sure you know how I feel about you.  Put me on ignore, thanks in advance.  

You are free to think whatever you want of me. I only think you're an asshole because of how you berate others and change the narrative from about the game to personal attacks. My criticism of Scioscia is based on the few times in a game where an actual decision is needed. 1. the Lineup 2. the management of the bullpen 3. pinch hitting or game strategy on the bases. Other than that the game plays itself. Ive never advocated taking a hitter out in the 3rd because he struck out in the first. In cases like Calhoun, you can pretty much pencil him in for an 0-4. Eppler and Scioscia should be working in conjunction on either bringing someone up ASAP, like you suggested with Hermosillo or swinging a trade. 40 games into the season is too long to have a gaping hole in the lineup. Feel free to ignore me and I have no reason to ignore you, its not that serious. You take things way too personally on here. I don't blink at what your opinions or feelings of me or the team are. Take a chill pill Strad.

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The upside is he was an above average player the past 5 years.

30 is not old

this is pretty obvious 

How many guys just lose it at 30?  It has to be mental, right?  You’d think if it was mechanical it would be fixed by now.  I never thought of his swing as something that needed a ton of work.  He is swinging through ordinary fast balls and over the top of average breaking balls.  

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

+1, one difference between Cold and those other guys though is that those other guys all still have a significantly higher OPS than Cold.    Cold's .400 OPS after 1/4 of the season is the worst I can remember ANY Halos batter ever having.   Even worse than Edgardo Alfonzo's pathetic stats in 2006 before being released. 

If he is a true good teammate, he will okay a trip to SLC to get this fixed.   I can't seem Hermosillo putting up an under .500 OPS up here, and he plays solid defense as well and will steal some bases.

I completely agree. It clearly cannot hurt at this point. We couldn't possible get much lower in production making that switch. It has to happen ASAP

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

How many guys just lose it at 30?  It has to be mental, right?  You’d think if it was mechanical it would be fixed by now.  I never thought of his swing as something that needed a ton of work.  He is swinging through ordinary fast balls and over the top of average breaking balls.  

Its all mental. Some players psyche is extremely fragile. Pro's or not, past production or not, he's beyond pressing and he believes he's out before he steps in the box. I'm wondering more so if its a personal issue non baseball related. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Nobody falls off at 30 like this after showing at least average production for 5 years.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You are free to think whatever you want of me. I only think you're an asshole because of how you berate others and change the narrative from about the game to personal attacks. My criticism of Scioscia is based on the few times in a game where an actual decision is needed. 1. the Lineup 2. the management of the bullpen 3. pinch hitting or game strategy on the bases. Other than that the game plays itself. Ive never advocated taking a hitter out in the 3rd because he struck out in the first. In cases like Calhoun, you can pretty much pencil him in for an 0-4. Eppler and Scioscia should be working in conjunction on either bringing someone up ASAP, like you suggested with Hermosillo or swinging a trade. 40 games into the season is too long to have a gaping hole in the lineup. Feel free to ignore me and I have no reason to ignore you, its not that serious. You take things way too personally on here. I don't blink at what your opinions or feelings of me or the team are. Take a chill pill Strad.

Fair enough.  

I have no idea what trades could be coming, but I think I have an idea of whether or not Eppler will fill holes on this team based on what he did last year.   Last July we didn’t play well and so there were no trades made at the deadline.  Then the team played well in August and you saw Eppler reward that good play with some help (Phillips and Upton).  This team has shown itself to be good.  I have no doubt Eppler will reward the teams good play with acquiring pieces to fill those holes, most notably isn’t right field, but the bullpen.  Using that thought process I think you will see him figure out if Kole is the answer prior to the deadline.  Right now he is not the answer.  Kole will be sent down, I don’t see him as a 4th outfielder because he hasn’t logged a single game in CF.  I don’t know what they are waiting for, but I have faith that Eppler will reward the team with making the right moves.  

4 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Fair enough.  

I have no idea what trades could be coming, but I think I have an idea of whether or not Eppler will fill holes on this team based on what he did last year.   Last July we didn’t play well and so there were no trades made at the deadline.  Then the team played well in August and you saw Eppler reward that good play with some help (Phillips and Upton).  This team has shown itself to be good.  I have no doubt Eppler will reward the teams good play with acquiring pieces to fill those holes, most notably isn’t right field, but the bullpen.  Using that thought process I think you will see him figure out if Kole is the answer prior to the deadline.  Right now he is not the answer.  Kole will be sent down, I don’t see him as a 4th outfielder because he hasn’t logged a single game in CF.  I don’t know what they are waiting for, but I have faith that Eppler will reward the team with making the right moves.  

There's not a chance calls aren't being made. Right now i'm sure they are sitting on proposals and weighing if the idea of bringing up a prospect is more rewarding than swinging the trade. I get this weird feeling that if the Doyers don't turn it around soon we might see a trade for Puig. I don't necessarily like the guy (I think he's a head case) but he plays decent enough defense and can at times go on hot streaks.

While I think Calhoun needs to be benched for a bit, as I don't think he would accept a demotion to AAA, I can see why Mike tried to give him a legit shot at working it out as Kole, in most seasons, delivers around a 3 WAR, which is solid value for his position and defensive ability.  For now, though, he needs to sit, get a mental break, and see if he can provide something as a defensive replacement.  On the trade front, he has $8.5 million on his contract this season and $10.5 million next season with a $1 mil buyout for 2020, so that's not a lot for a team with resources to maybe take a chance on him if they have a need in the OF.