• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BillJamesOnline: Release Pujols

YouthofToday

They'll give him the full year. If he lands anything .700 OPS or higher this year, they'll give him next year as a part-time DH with Ohtani.

I imagine if he's sub .700 OPS this year, the team and him will have some discussion on how to proceed for the final two years. Maybe they give him '19 as a PH/Farewell Tour year and he retires afterwards.

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They'll give him the full year. If he lands anything .700 OPS or higher this year, they'll give him next year as a part-time DH with Ohtani.

I imagine if he's sub .700 OPS this year, the team and him will have some discussion on how to proceed for the final two years. Maybe they give him '19 as a PH/Farewell Tour year and he retires afterwards.

He has 4 more years on his contract not 3.

20 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He has 4 more years on his contract not 3.

Final three years. Same thing regardless. 

He has no "excuses" this year - and I say that as someone who still believes in ol' Bert - and the team recognizes this. I imagine he'll OPS around .720 this year and all will be satisfactory and they'll go into next year with the same expectation of production and for his role. Once it drops below .700 though...be it this year, next year, or the year after...both parties will have to start considering an exit strategy. 

The bright side to all this is Ohtani really counterbalances Pujols' contract and role. Even if we 'waste' the 25th spot on the team for a year-ish with a sub-.700 Pujols or PH-only Pujols, Ohtani kind of negates the lost roster spot. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Final three years. Same thing regardless. 

He has no "excuses" this year - and I say that as someone who still believes in ol' Bert - and the team recognizes this. I imagine he'll OPS around .720 this year and all will be satisfactory and they'll go into next year with the same expectation of production and for his role. Once it drops below .700 though...be it this year, next year, or the year after...both parties will have to start considering an exit strategy. 

The bright side to all this is Ohtani really counterbalances Pujols' contract and role. Even if we 'waste' the 25th spot on the team for a year-ish with a sub-.700 Pujols or PH-only Pujols, Ohtani kind of negates the lost roster spot. 

I'm all for Albert to retire just don't think it will happen, but one can dream. Just too much money to walk away from.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm all for Albert to retire just don't think it will happen, but one can dream. Just too much money to walk away from.

I think he's going to produce just well enough in '18 and '19 to hold back any retirement talk until '20 at the earliest. I can see him retiring before his last year, maybe his second to last year if things go really poorly in '19, but I agree that he isn't stepping aside this year or next.

Anyone know of a first ballot Hall-of-Famer who was released from their contract - let alone 3+ years of their contract?

I wish James' had left out the "3 year Mike Trout" window...Angels could/should resign Trout and even if they don't will still be contenders after that with the farm system they are cultivating and money they have to spend.

The issue is how do you release a first ballot Hall-of-Famer?

9 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

He'll probably retire after this year knowing that his career batting average is on the verge of falling below .300.

The batting average doesn't bother me as much as the sub-.300 OBP, especially in the cleanup spot. That's unacceptable.

It's not Albert's fault. He's 38 years old and declining quickly. The blame is on Scioscia and his OCD.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

How about circle back to this article come midseason at least. 

Spring is in the air, optimism surrounding the club & Pujols is at an all time high. Let's just see it play out and root for Albert to succeed rather than be incredibly pessimistic. 

Laudable sentiments, of course, but the reality soon intervenes. The first couple months will tell the story with Albert. If he's struggling, he needs to play less and be moved down in the order. That's just common sense.

I am excited about the team, though. And Ohtani. A playoff spot is definitely on the radar.