• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BillJamesOnline: Release Pujols

YouthofToday

You guys keep blaming Scioscia when he is the guy that has to write a lineup based on what roster he is given. 

Last season Pujols batted behind Trout because no one else on the roster was as effective with runners in scoring position than Albert. He was virtually useless in any other situation but the day Upton played his first game as an Angel, Justin batted behind Trout and Pujols moved down a notch.

So the narrative that Scioscia is intractable goes out the window. Pujols will play but if he declines from last season it's going to be Eppler's call as to what to do. Scioscia will always be tied to the 25 men the GM gives him. 

• Blarg unlocked this topic
42 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That wasn't a Bill James article, it was a contributing author on his website.

The guy who wrote the article references Raffy Palmiero as an example of an aging 1B who lived up to his FA contract in the comments section.  Yeah, the same Raffy Palmiero who was popped for steroids..  

While I believe the Angels will have to do something if he continues to suck, it's hard to take people seriously when they are willing to ignore the vast differences in aging curves during the the steroid era..

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

And that has been repeated ad nauseum as well but it doesn't put words in Pujols mouth.

He hasn't mentioned any of his milestones until after he gets them. Doesn't mean they haven't crossed his mind. This year he should break 2 milestones; 3000 hits, 2000 RBIs. When he first signed his contract 6 yrs ago he said something like, if he ever gets to a point where he feels like he isn't contributing he will retire. He hasn't reached that point yet. I'm not sure if he will retire even if he does reach that point but it's possible.

Why would we release a guy who is still likely our best option at the position?    I mean really who do you plug in to replace him?  We have some 2-3 WAR guy sitting on the bench i dont know about?    Where is the sense in cutting him to give Valbuana more at bats? 

Finances, return on investment... i mean its easy to just say cut him and sign someone else but is that realistic?  

Sometimes the Bill Jamsians need to sniff fresh air i think. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

All reasonable aging curves say this is Albert's last year to clear the hurdle and play out his contract. After a complete year without a surgical rehab he has to put something more on the field or he is what players are naturally at his age. Coaches or announcers.

The Angels will still be expected to pay Albert whatever they’re contractually obligated to pay him no matter what happens on the field. He may end up being the highest paid pinch hitter in baseball. They’re not going to just kick him off the team. 

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

Why would we release a guy who is still likely our best option at the position?    I mean really who do you plug in to replace him?  We have some 2-3 WAR guy sitting on the bench i dont know about?    Where is the sense in cutting him to give Valbuana more at bats? 

Finances, return on investment... i mean its easy to just say cut him and sign someone else but is that realistic?  

Sometimes the Bill Jamsians need to sniff fresh air i think. 

There's a lot to say for this. I really think Albert will outperform ValNObuena at 1st/DH. And we are paying him regardless. I am conditionally optimistic about him this year.

I hope Albert isn't thinking HR all the time, this year. He needs to go to the opposite field with balls away. The TEAM needs this. I hope to see him trying this in ST. It might keep him out of DPs as well. At least keep the defense honest, with respect to the shift.

But I want him separated from Trout in the order. Nothing worse than having a DP erase a perennial runs-scored leader.