• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's last year?

jordan

I'm going to go ahead and start what's likely going to be one of many Sosh threads going into his final year on his highly talked about 10-year contract.  I was thinking today, if Arte should push to extend him.  Sosh is the devil we know, so to speak.  What if we brought in someone new and things fell apart, there are player squabbles that leak to the press, so forth and so on, that ultimately would influence Trout to leave.  Sosh is all that Trout has known in the bigs.  I don't know.  I know it would be nice to bring in some fresh air, but I'm not so certain that's the best move. 

I can't believe I am saying this, but now that it seems like this organization has finally stabilized, I would not mind seeing Scioscia extended. He is a consistent face and cornerstone of our franchise and now he has some actual tools to work with like he did back in the mid 2000s. Scioscia's familiarity within MLB is a positive attraction to our organization IMO.

Now when I say extension, I'm talking a 2-3 year deal max. He needs to show he can win in the postseason. Bottom line.

I’d like to see someone new in the dugout next season.  I’m looking forward to the next dude to blame everything on.  My first choice would be Maddon, my second choice would be Franconia.  The only way I can see Maddon happening is if he has a “come back home” clause that allows him to opt out if his dream job comes available.  We won’t get Francona either.  My guess is our next manager is Josh Paul or a guy like Omar Visquel.  

3 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

I can't believe I am saying this, but now that it seems like this organization has finally stabilized, I would not mind seeing Scioscia extended. He is a consistent face and cornerstone of our franchise and now he has some actual tools to work with like he did back in the mid 2000s. Scioscia's familiarity within MLB is a positive attraction to our organization IMO.

Now when I say extension, I'm talking a 2-3 year deal max. He needs to show he can win in the postseason. Bottom line.

This was my thinking too.  I know a lot of teams are hiring younger guys who have never managed before, with the idea in mind that the guy can relate to the player and just let the metrics dictate how to coach on the field.  Scioscia seems to have been able to do this and adapt a little more than it appears during DiPoto's days.  So I wouldn't be against an extension, but after this season.  I think Scioscia will have the pieces to do more coaching this year, and how he handles Ohtani is of significant interest.

I would be surprised if he's back with the halos next year.  

But that's going to be a very tough call.  

Take what a guy like Upton is doing after being there for only a couple months.  Signing long term deals and encouraging his friends to come here talking about what a great situation it is.  

That tells you a lot about Eppler as well.  

Don't kid yourself about something else as well.  If Trout likes him and it would encourage him to stay, you can bet that will be a factor.  

MS is also very expensive.  Not that it's a huge amount above what others make, but I think he's the highest paid.  

If this season goes well, I am inclined to have him stay for a couple more years.  

I think he will probably get another year or two tacked on, or they'll go year to year, barring either a complete collapse or incredibly strong showing pushing it further. 

I think Scioscia, Eppler, and even Arte are going to keep it like this until the Trout contract is up. No sense tipping anything off over the next three years and risking what has been built. 

If it becomes evidently clear that Trout will leave, or Eppler's plans fail to deliver a playoff appearance this year or next, then I can see them going into '20-'21 with a major retool and new manager, a soft "re-build", maybe new GM, maybe even new owner.

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would be surprised if he's back with the halos next year.  

But that's going to be a very tough call.  

Take what a guy like Upton is doing after being there for only a couple months.  Signing long term deals and encouraging his friends to come here talking about what a great situation it is.  

That tells you a lot about Eppler as well.  

Don't kid yourself about something else as well.  If Trout likes him and it would encourage him to stay, you can bet that will be a factor.  

MS is also very expensive.  Not that it's a huge amount above what others make, but I think he's the highest paid.  

If this season goes well, I am inclined to have him stay for a couple more years.  

Comes down to Trout for sure 

1 hour ago, jordan111280 said:

I'm going to go ahead and start what's likely going to be one of many Sosh threads going into his final year on his highly talked about 10-year contract.  I was thinking today, if Arte should push to extend him.  Sosh is the devil we know, so to speak.  What if we brought in someone new and things fell apart, there are player squabbles that leak to the press, so forth and so on, that ultimately would influence Trout to leave.  Sosh is all that Trout has known in the bigs.  I don't know.  I know it would be nice to bring in some fresh air, but I'm not so certain that's the best move. 

I could see this being his last year.  However I would not make any.move rega4ding a manager without consulting Trout.

2 hours ago, LHalo said:

Let's see how this year plays out. If he wins the division and we get to the ALCS I wouldn't be against extending him.

Now flame me.

If they get that far, how do they not offer him a SMALL extension? Sosh may just choose to walk away from the game for a while too.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’d like to see someone new in the dugout next season.  I’m looking forward to the next dude to blame everything on.  My first choice would be Maddon, my second choice would be Franconia.  The only way I can see Maddon happening is if he has a “come back home” clause that allows him to opt out if his dream job comes available.  We won’t get Francona either.  My guess is our next manager is Josh Paul or a guy like Omar Visquel.  

Tim Bogar is a possibility.