• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's last year?

jordan

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If they miss the playoffs, he's gone for sure

Ya know, that is very possibly what it will ride on.

Of course, if they miss the playoffs and Arte decides it's time for a change, he will probably just allow Sosh to say, "I'm retiring" to save face. No harm, no foul on either side.

He'd probably just get kicked upstairs, anyway.

5 hours ago, jordan111280 said:

This was my thinking too.  I know a lot of teams are hiring younger guys who have never managed before, with the idea in mind that the guy can relate to the player and just let the metrics dictate how to coach on the field.  Scioscia seems to have been able to do this and adapt a little more than it appears during DiPoto's days.  So I wouldn't be against an extension, but after this season.  I think Scioscia will have the pieces to do more coaching this year, and how he handles Ohtani is of significant interest.

I agree that this is definitely the trend.  For example, I don't look at Dave Roberts as this tactical genius.  I am guessing the FO runs through various scenarios with him and basically makes most of his decisions for him.  His principle role is to be a strong communicator and maintain a happy, cohesive, upbeat clubhouse.  This is not to diminish his role, as we have seen many times how important that kind of role is.  But I do believe we are seeing a philosophical shift in what a manager's role is on the team.  

15 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Could any manager have  done a better job then Scioscia  in the last 9 years, they would have been a pretty  bad manager.

With the same roster, sure, one year one manager could have done better, another year another manager could have done better.  Overall, no, probably not. I just have a hunch you don’t watch a lot of other teams.  If you did, you would see all managers make moves that don’t work.  The problem is you think it is a manager problem, not an execution problem.  That being said, Albert in the 2nd half should have been moved further down the line up.  

Cue up Elvis "It's Now or Never" - if Sosh does not make the playoffs with all the off-season upgrades plus Ohtani -- well. It's curtains.

If he makes the playoffs, perhaps even wins another championship (good news ! was watching an MLB show last week -- Harold Reynolds and company, I think Mark Teixiera was on the panel as well -- and they picked the MLB's top six teams -- no one picked the Angels as one of the top six despite having the Halos logo there as one of 12 or so teams they could select from -- it was set up sort of like Corso's Saturday morning college football picks but with logo placards instead of mascot heads) NO ONE PICKED THE ANGELS in the top six -- in my book that's like missing the SI cover !! -- but if Sosh's Angels make the playoffs/ win it all this year, I think 2019 would then be his 20th and final season as Halos manager.

Meanwhile, folks are mentioning Girardi -- but didn't I read somewhere that the Halos have brought Brad Ausmus into the front office...........manager in waiting??

It’s been alluded to here, but I still think folks undervalue the chemistry that Mike creates in the clubhouse.  As opposed to other teams, you never seem to hear about chemistry issues or there being a bad clubhouse.  Instead, you get a guy like Justin Upton (who didn’t have the best of reps as a teammate for whatever reason) actively recruiting Kinsler.   Players just seem to develop a loyalty for Sosh.   DiPoto found that out pretty quickly (but then again he’s tone deaf since he thought he had the support of some of the players, especially Pujols). 

The way baseball has become, advanced metrics help you with the strategic part of the game (there are still things that need to be done based on feel and situation), but anyone who’s worked for a living knows that workplace climate can make a HUGE difference in individual performance.  

If the Angels win the first game of the season, extend Scioscia. But then if they lose the second game, cancel the extension. But if they win the third game, extend him again.

If they lose on Opening Day, he's done after 2018. Unless they win the second game of the season—then he's the best manager in baseball again.

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

If the Angels win the first game of the season, extend Scioscia. But then if they lose the second game, cancel the extension. But if they win the third game, extend him again.

If they lose on Opening Day, he's done after 2018. Unless they win the second game of the season—then he's the best manager in baseball again.

That's pretty much why i largely ignore the main board once the season begins.

I hope they keep Scoiscia around.  Some of you have noted how players like Upton haven’t really kept it a secret that it’s a great place to play.  This has been a recurring theme over his entire tenure with the team. Scoiscia is a big part of that.  The teams struggles are not Scoiscia’s fault and we’ve had competitive teams that were easily out matched in terms of on the field skill.  We shouldn’t assume that whoever takes over from Scoiscia will be better.  The fact is, they likely will not be.  He’s by a large margin the Angels best ever manager. 

I think the Angels would be smart to get Mike Trouts feelings on the matter. 

Edited by UndertheHalo