• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's last year?

jordan

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I love when trolls give you a thumbs down on a post because that can’t sense your sarcasm, even though I’ve been one of the biggest Scioscia supporters on here.  (Cue getting a few more thumbs down)

I have to admit -- I laughed at that.  Either TD just read it the complete opposite of how you intended it or he's trolling at pretty impressive levels. 

Either way, it was funny!  

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Facts don't matter..    Reality doesn't matter.    If people here watched other teams as obsessively as they do the Angels they would see every manager make mistakes and follow the same patterns..    But, again....  reality doesn't matter.

Absolutely. It’s very strange because the opposite is often true with our players.  Obviously our manager is the only one that makes mistakes, because these players are really good.  Except the only reason you think the players are good is you are most familiar with these players.  The only reason you think Scioscia sucks is because you are really familiar with him.  The only reason you think he is predictable is because you watch 150 games a year.  Also despite the fact that he grades out average to above average in bullpen management most years, we as fans always seem to remember the moves that don’t work, and we obviously blame Scioscia, rather than blame execution.  Then we as fans are arrogant enough to question his commitment to winning, despite the fact we have no idea what is going on in the clubhouse, or if a guy physically needs a day off, or any number of things.  Nope it is all on the manager.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Absolutely. It’s very strange because the opposite is often true with our players.  Obviously our manager is the only one that makes mistakes, because these players are really good.  Except the only reason you think the players are good is you are most familiar with these players.  The only reason you think Scioscia sucks is because you are really familiar with him.  The only reason you think he is predictable is because you watch 150 games a year.  Also despite the fact that he grades out average to above average in bullpen management most years, we as fans always seem to remember the moves that don’t work, and we obviously blame Scioscia, rather than blame execution.  Then we as fans are arrogant enough to question his commitment to winning, despite the fact we have no idea what is going on in the clubhouse, or if a guy physically needs a day off, or any number of things.  Nope it is all on the manager.  

Familiarity breeds contempt.   Erick Aybar was one of those guys who constantly caught grief for the things he did..  and yet every out of town broadcast always talked up how smart he was and how he would always be trying to deke guys or position himself for the unexpected...    And despite his postseason blunder, how he was one of the best bunters in MLB.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Was watching MLB Network last night -- Al Leiter and Jim Thome were among the people discussing Boone and his taking over the Yankees manager spot -- was hilarious to see two pretty accomplished guys both saying the best managers they played for tended were always the same regardless of the situation, always steady, and weren't prone to reactions or massive changes after a bad spell.  Guys that trusted their players and trusted them to play to their abilities..   They praised Boone as a likable guy who is adept at dealing with the media and who's temperament should allow him to succeed.  

hey.... Joe Armchair thinks different, they want to see guys who get on guys and blow up all the time...so...

Because it looks like they are doing something.  They want him to be like them, incapable of controlling their emotions.  

The Angels are 10-22 in the postseason over the last 15 years since the WS title.

I am not saying it is Scioscia's fault.

But I would not find it reckless to try some different things like changing managers.

You are dating the same girl for years and things are not quite right.  There is nothing exactly wrong with her, but why am I not proposing?

Even if there is nothing wrong with her you know you should probably break up.

It's not you, it's me.  Can we still be friends, Mike? No Mike, it's not because you are fat (That's a lie.)

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Was watching MLB Network last night -- Al Leiter and Jim Thome were among the people discussing Boone and his taking over the Yankees manager spot -- was hilarious to see two pretty accomplished guys both saying the best managers they played for tended to always be the same regardless of the situation, always steady, and weren't prone to reactions or massive changes after a bad spell.  Guys that trusted their players and trusted them to play to their abilities..   They praised Boone as a likable guy who is adept at dealing with the media and who's temperament should allow him to succeed.  

But hey.... Joe Armchair thinks different, they want to see guys who get on guys and blow up all the time...so...

I'm surprised that Showalter still has a job as O's manager after 7.5 years.   His "get on guys and being anal retentive" style usually wears out his welcome after 3 years everywhere else he had been before this decade. 

5 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

It was called a strike because Aybar made an attempt to bunt the ball.  

If they make an attempt, it is not a "called" strike.  It is a "swing and miss" strike. . .call it a bunt attempt and miss strike if you want but thats not a called strike.

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Familiarity breeds contempt.   Erick Aybar was one of those guys who constantly caught grief for the things he did..  and yet every out of town broadcast always talked up how smart he was and how he would always be trying to deke guys or position himself for the unexpected...    And despite his postseason blunder, how he was one of the best bunters in MLB.

Erick Aybar smart?  hahahahahahahahah  

What a riot.  Almost as funny as Dan Plesac saying "Albert Pujols had another solid year last year" on MLB Network.  That one is still #1.

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Was watching MLB Network last night -- Al Leiter and Jim Thome were among the people discussing Boone and his taking over the Yankees manager spot -- was hilarious to see two pretty accomplished guys both saying the best managers they played for tended to always be the same regardless of the situation, always steady, and weren't prone to reactions or massive changes after a bad spell.  Guys that trusted their players and trusted them to play to their abilities..   They praised Boone as a likable guy who is adept at dealing with the media and who's temperament should allow him to succeed.  

But hey.... Joe Armchair thinks different, they want to see guys who get on guys and blow up all the time...so...

I never said Scioscia needs to blow up all the time.  I said he needs to stop being so indifferent towards boneheaded plays. 

Stop reading into something that's not there.

9 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Erick Aybar smart?  hahahahahahahahah  

What a riot.  Almost as funny as Dan Plesac saying "Albert Pujols had another solid year last year" on MLB Network.  That one is still #1.

Well, Joe Maddon, everyone's pick as the super genius manager once said Erick Aybar had one of the highest baseball IQs of any player....  I guess he's an idiot now?   Instead we should take the opinion of a dolt that routinely called Howie Kendrick the worst hitter in MLB..   Or was it player?   Either way you are a known entity.

9 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I never said Scioscia needs to blow up all the time.  I said he needs to stop being so indifferent towards boneheaded plays. 

Stop reading into something that's not there.

Considering my comment was a direct response to Stradling, one of several in a multi post exchange, pretty safe I wasn't reading into anything you may have said..  LOL....   But good on you for self identifying.   Knowing who you are is the first step towards getting better.   

32 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Instead we should take the opinion of a dolt that routinely called Howie Kendrick the worst hitter in MLB..   Or was it player?   Either way you are a known entity.

Again, I never said that.  You have me confused with someone else. But keep going, whatever fits your narrative. 

21 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

It was called a strike because Aybar made an attempt to bunt the ball.  

No, it was called a strike because it sailed across the plate. Pictures from TV cameras offset from the mound never show the balls path clearly, strikes look like balls and vice versa. But it was a strike, Aybar just blew the play and pulled his bat back.

Forgotten in this mess was after the tag the ball was dropped and the umpires made the incorrect call of out at third. Scioscia argued it and like the crew in the Yankees series that didn't call both runners out when Napoli tagged out two Yankees before they could put their foot down on the bag, these asshats wouldn't reverse their call. 

Replay would have been nice. But that entire series was tilted for the Red Sox by the umpire crew. Ortiz would take cuts at the ball, then pull his bat back and the third base umpire would call check swing. He struck twice in the same at bat only to get a free call from the same umpire. This was a playoff game and Bud Selig was in attendence. He never visited Anaheim for a playoff series before or after. 

10 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Erick Aybar smart?  hahahahahahahahah  On April 10th Erick Aybar of the Angels was thrown out stealing with two outs in the top of the ninth to end a 7-6 loss to the Indians. That was the second time caught stealing this season for Aybar, who was also gunned down in the bottom of the ninth on April 5th in a 4-3 loss to the A’s. Twice in one week.

Which literally has nothing to do with having a high baseball IQ.  

56 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Aybar was not the smartest at stealing bases. Stolen bases 155 , caught 62 times.

That still has nothing to do with having a high baseball IQ.  Here I’ll give you an example of how stupid this is.  Reggie Willits wasn’t the smartest at hitting home runs.  

21 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

You can't be more wrong. I guess Vlad and Albert are smart base runners ?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.  Baseball IQ is probably a bit more than being a good base runner.  Greg Maddux was said to have a high baseball IQ but I’ve never heard of him being a good base runner. 

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That still has nothing to do with having a high baseball IQ.  Here I’ll give you an example of how stupid this is.  Reggie Willits wasn’t the smartest at hitting home runs.  

I think he hit 3 balls in the air that made it to the outfield in his career. One actually made it to the warning track.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, Inside Pitch said:

images 3.jpg

2 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Erick Aybar smart?  hahahahahahahahah  On April 10th Erick Aybar of the Angels was thrown out stealing with two outs in the top of the ninth to end a 7-6 loss to the Indians. That was the second time caught stealing this season for Aybar, who was also gunned down in the bottom of the ninth on April 5th in a 4-3 loss to the A’s. Twice in one week.

yippee, another reference to something from 2005! keep 'em coming, A-Bob!

2 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Aybar was not the smartest at stealing bases. Stolen bases 155 , caught 62 times.

Runners go on cue from the third base coach, so how many of those were sent as opposed to just having a green light.

There is the problem with all of your arguments, each one lacks any context. Like being caught stealing twice in one week. It's as silly of an argument as you can make. Even Chone Figgins had stretches he was caught stealing twice in the same week.