• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Addison Reed and Zach Britton?

Chuck

5 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

You would think Britton would cost a huge price in prospects...but actually he has just one year of control left, is projected to earn about 12 million in arbitration for the year, and is coming off a bit of a down, injury-shortened season. So the price would presumably be tolerable and you get him for his contract year.

I think there is something to be said for this. I wouldn't expect Britton to be as expensive as one might first think.

23 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

You would think Britton would cost a huge price in prospects...but actually he has just one year of control left, is projected to earn about 12 million in arbitration for the year, and is coming off a bit of a down, injury-shortened season. So the price would presumably be tolerable and you get him for his contract year.

Well, a year removed from them having seen the team's closer miss the entire season, and considering there is an alternative that will just cost money and could be more than a rental (Reed), why bother with Britton.  The concerns about his arm are still real -- people are stressing about Ohtani's strain but let's not forget Britton was shut down with the dreaded forearm tightness --- there have been whispers about it being a case of not IF but WHEN he will need TJ surgery.

Not sure I want the Angels adding another injury risk to their current collection of arms. Britton missed time last yr with a forearm strain and struggled with his effectiveness throughout the season. Add in having to pay in prospects to acquire him, and I'd rather they just look at Reed or Wade Davis in FA

7 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Not sure I want the Angels adding another injury risk to their current collection of arms. Britton missed time last yr with a forearm strain and struggled with his effectiveness throughout the season. Add in having to pay in prospects to acquire him, and I'd rather they just look at Reed or Wade Davis in FA

He’s in his walk year. Maybe something magically happens bc he’s looking for a pay day lol

and maybe that’s what lowers the price on him via trade ?

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

That just isn't Eppler's MO in my opinion. He's proven multiple times now that he can find effective RP for free basically.

I don't know why he'd just decide to stop and start spending money.

Just my opinion but if you're going all in, you go with proven talent not a bunch of maybes. 

Reed and Davis would be great. Would love Britton if we can get him for cheap.

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That just isn't Eppler's MO in my opinion. He's proven multiple times now that he can find effective RP for free basically.

This is my thought as well, except we all have to agree this is the most complete team, including the farm, he’s had as a GM.  He very well could go after a bonafide closer.  

11 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I agree to an extent. Just like the few of us that figured Moustakas isn’t the type of guy Billy would sign.

But if he plans to limit his starters even after moving to a 6 man rotation he may want a legit bullpen piece. Now I wouldn’t expect him to go get 2 guys and spend the 24 mill remaining but possibly grab Wade Davis and at least have a legit closer 

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's assuming that other teams continue to ignore the things that Eppler pays attention to.  I think the league will take notice at Eppler's moves regarding pitching and make adjustments.  The best thing the Angels could do to continue this trend would be to find a Dave Duncan type coach.  I suspect it will start to get more challenging for Eppler to find "free" pitching.

were assuming its prospects in any trade, that may not necessarily be true.  Im still convinced that Epp is looking at upgrades at 1B, and perhaps this is a spot to spin Cron?  Yes i know they have Davis and perhaps even Trumbo, but i think the value is about right based on the above mentioned possible concerns 

Brittan would be interesting, but only if his price tag is low.  I'm guessing the Orioles will ask for a lot, so I don't see him as a legitimate option.  I do think we need to target a LH reliever for the pen, as it's the area we're currently weak in, with Alvarez being our only option.

Another thing to consider is we currently have seven relievers who have no options left, and thus must stay on the roster or be DFA'd:

Parker, Bedrosian, Johnson, Alvarez, Wood, Bard (has options but is a rule V pick), Ramirez

The first 3 are guarantees to not be DFA'd, and I'd say Alvarez is close to it, since he's the only LHP we have.  I like Bard's potential, so I'm guessing they'll hang onto him as long as possible.  So really, that just leaves Wood (who was just signed to a contract) and Ramirez.  Of course, if we get someone like Brittan or Reed, then DFA'ing Ramirez is an easy decision to make, but just saying there isn't much wiggle room in the relief corps currently.

Do we think that Parker can close for a full season?  That would be my pick if we get no one else.  I've lost some confidence in Bedrock.  But the problem is that we really need a bonafide closer so that we don't have to hope these other guys can close.  Parker is about as good as it gets as a set-up guy, and I think that's where he's most effective.   Oh and I just remembered Jim Johnson.  He kinda scares me too. 

Was just noticing that Reed is a SoCal guy, so maybe that will help lure him. 

50 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

While I agree -- he's also been playing with tempered expectations...    We all read the bit about rebuilding not being in their DNA but there is no denying things have ramped up a bit, and likely will continue to do so next season.   Eppler may see value in obtaining a sure thing shut down closer, let's not forget he learned how to GM in NY where Cashman has long pursued certainty in the 9th inning.   Reed and Wade Davis are likely in play..   I think they may prefer to chase Reed if for no other reasons because his local ties may help bring the price down a tad...

Again, @ettin mentioned Davis as a potential buy -- IMO it was a long-shot until Ohtani happened.  Now having filled all of the problem spots with viable solutions  while spending  less than 50 mil to do so...  it makes a bit more sense to spend some $$ on a luxury item like a closer.

yeah.  I don't see Britton making sense at all unless it's on the cheap and I don't know why Bmore wouldn't just recoup his value and then move him at the deadline.  Unless of course they know his arm is toast.  So big time buyer beware with him.  

I like the idea if getting a legit closer.  Davis, Holland or Reed would work.  Still not sure Eppler is done finding minor league free agents or waiver pick ups as of yet though.  

At the winter meetings Scioscia and Eppler said they had some data on Johnson they think can turn him around. They wouldn’t say what it is, but it’s probably something like he’s over or under-using some pitch. He was very good in 2016 and considering how relievers are so up and down, I wouldn’t  be surprised if he bounces back to respectability. 

I also believe Bedrosian, based on my conversations with him, was affected all year by his injury. So I wouldn’t rule him out for being good. 

And I agree that Eppler isn’t going to spend big on a proven closer. Not his thing.