• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Addison Reed and Zach Britton?

Chuck

That's a good point about the constantly changing roster, didn't think of that.  Grandal would be very flexible, and I like that he is a lefty.  Don't know what we can get the Dodgers to do to move on this one though, they have a lot of pieces already.  But if they are serious about shedding payroll, then maybe.

10 minutes ago, tomsred said:

That's a good point about the constantly changing roster, didn't think of that.  Grandal would be very flexible, and I like that he is a lefty.  Don't know what we can get the Dodgers to do to move on this one though, they have a lot of pieces already.  But if they are serious about shedding payroll, then maybe.

Earlier in the day, I proposed trading for Grandal + McCarthy to help unload some of their excess salary, but that was quickly rendered moot after their big deal.

Personally, I don't think they'd trade Grandal anyway, but since he only has one year left of control, I think he could be had for a reasonable price.  Could always trade one of our younger starters (Skaggs?) and a lower tier prospect, who knows.

The theme that keeps repeating here and on other threads about the 25 man roster is including Ohtani on both sides of the roster. He only counts for one spot lol. Valbuena or Cron right now is the starting 1B. Pujols is the DH. And Ohtani is in the rotation. 

I would start listing it as 12 players in the field, 12 pitchers and Ohtani. Lol.

Regarding Britton:

Well, to be honest with a ruptured Achilles tendon the recovery isn't 6 months. He can be back in 3 months..As he's a pitcher and not a position player or running bases.. Too much babying going on!  

I was jogging at 2.5 months.

He could still be throwing, flat ground, long tossing in a boot and working out during that time including rehab on the Achilles. Might actually work well on getting his mechanics down. 

On 12/16/2017 at 5:55 PM, tomsred said:

No, it means one less position player.  12 position players + 7 bullpen arms + 6 starters = 25 players total.  Eppler said the plan was to have 7 relievers.  The bench is one outfielder who covers all three positions, 1 infield player who covers at least two positions, and a backup catcher.

In particular in terms of versatility on the infield bench player it currently stands like this:

Cowart - 3B, 2B, 1B (maybe), speed for pinch running, not a proven bat.

Valbuena - 3B, 1B, no speed but veteran power bat.

Cron - 1B, DH, little speed, streaky power bat. - this is why Cron is out.

Valbuena  can't hit LHP. What if someone on the IF gets hurt? Cron is the best fielding 1B on the team.

18 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Valbuena  can't hit LHP. What if someone on the IF gets hurt? Cron is the best fielding 1B on the team.

But if that injured IF is Cozart, then Valbuena can play third, too.  If it's Kinsler, then Cozart can move to 2nd and Valbuena takes third. Cron cant figure into these scenarios.

Last I read, only about 25% of pitchers are left handed. Maybe it's an acceptable percentage for Eppler, with respect to Valbuena. 

Too bad, really. I'd  rather have Cron spelling Albert at first. But Valbuena's salary figures in and Cron is more marketable to other teams. Cron is probably gone. If there was any way to convert Valbuena's salary into a fourth OF or another reliever, I'd be for that.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

But if that injured IF is Cozart, then Valbuena can play third, too.  If it's Kinsler, then Cozart can move to 2nd and Valbuena takes third. Cron cant figure into these scenarios.

Last I read, only about 25% of pitchers are left handed. Maybe it's an acceptable percentage for Eppler, with respect to Valbuena. 

Too bad, really. I'd  rather have Cron spelling Albert at first. But Valbuena's salary figures in and Cron is more marketable to other teams. Cron is probably gone. If there was any way to convert Valbuena's salary into a fourth OF or another reliever, I'd be for that.

If Cozart gets hurt then Valbuena plays third, if he is still in an Angels uniform, Cron plays 1B. Albert is the DH. if Valbuena is traded then Cowart or the 4th IF plays third. If Kinsler is hurt either Cozart moves to 2nd, or Cowart plays 2B and Cozart stays a 3rd. 

Actually I think neither Luis or Cron will be traded. I think the 6th pitchers and/or bull pen pitchers will take turns in AAA between starts and everything else stays like last year.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If Cozart gets hurt then Valbuena plays third, if he is still in an Angels uniform, Cron plays 1B. Albert is the DH. if Valbuena is traded then Cowart or the 4th IF plays third. If Kinsler is hurt either Cozart moves to 2nd, or Cowart plays 2B and Cozart stays a 3rd. 

Actually I think neither Luis or Cron will be traded. I think the 6th pitchers and/or bull pen pitchers will take turns in AAA between starts and everything else stays like last year.

But if an injury shifts Albert to DH, then Ohtani gets fewer days at DH, if it is an injury of more than a few days.

• 2 weeks later...