• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Haren speaks the truth!

Do you mean Hunter's infectious smile? 

I will say this regarding team chemistry and leadership.  There are times over the past decade I've thought the language barrier has been a hinderance to the team.  We've had a lot of Latin players who couldn't speak English well, if at all. 

Remember when Vlad arrived in 2004?  After that was when the cliques started forming based on ethnic backgrounds because Vlad couldn't communicate with the white guys very well.

For the record, Vlad does speak English very well and could communicate just fine with teammates. He chose to go with an interpreter during interviews to ensure he wouldn't be misquoted. There are many players that choose this method, Ichiro being one of them.

For the record, Vlad does speak English very well and could communicate just fine with teammates. He chose to go with an interpreter during interviews to ensure he wouldn't be misquoted. There are many players that choose this method, Ichiro being one of them.

Vlad gave an interview last year as he tried to comeback with Toronto. 

Two thirds of the questions asked had to be translated both ways to Vlad.  The other third he understood but answered in Spanish through the interpreter. I wouldn't call this knowing English very well.

Vlad is only one example, though.  There have been many others with limited English skills.  The point I was getting at is how does somebody become a leader in a clubhouse when the players have varying degrees of English proficiency?  How do you communicate effectively when a translator isn't around?

I wouldn't say the problem the last two years has strictly been chemistry. Like Haren said, it comes down to people doing their job. That said, I do think chemistry is a big part of it. Like any other job, if you aren't a big fan of your co-workers and boss, you're probably not going to be as productive. That doesn't mean you have to love everyone.

I agree w whoever pointed out that the team lost while torii was here.that said, torii seemed like one of the few guys who would both look out for his team, but would also have no problem checking them if they got out of line. I think that's missing right now.

More finger-pointing and excuse making... this time started by a player who isn't even with he team.

The majority of this team is under-preforming and the chemistry isn't there?...brilliant!.

Managers around major league baseball have traditionally been short term, interchangeable parts of organizations. A manager that "works" with one group of players, might not work with the next...especially when a manager is as stubborn, egotistic, self-centered, and unwilling to change, (unable to adapt) as MS is.

This is the 4th season of the same BS, and it is beyond ridiculous that Scioscia is owed too much money to be replaced.

He has lost the confidence of the players AND the fans, his results STINK, yet the obvious and traditional starting point to shake things up, and begin the long road back to better baseball, is blocked by a stupid 10 year contract extension.

People love Arte because he spends money. We are now in a situation where is has spent TOO much money, and it is handcuffing the team from making the changes, to start curing the illness it is suffering with.

Go back earlier in this thread.  A certain somebody said he agreed with everything Haren said a mere 7 minutes after the link was posted here.  How that is possible I have no clue because Haren's comments could be construed different ways.

I agree with your comments.  The players should be able to speak their minds.

I realize this may come as a surprise to you, but it is possible to read an article before its posted on AW.com

I do it often. Give it a go sometime, it's a gas.

I always liked Dan and I give him lots of credit for being just a mediocre this year with the Nats as he was for us last year.

As for what he said; aside from the strong support for Scioscia, he really didn't do anything but state the obvious.  I don't see anything he said as good or bad.

Thx Dan, I'm sure chemistry was the the reason the Angels sucked at the beginning of last year and not your fat pitches getting hammered over the fence. Definitely couldn't have been that.

Way to be completely wrong..  Haren was actually nails in April and though his ERA was a tick higher in May, he was slightly better that month.   He imploded in June.

Haren also said the Angels miss outfielder Torii Hunter, who is now with the Tigers. Haren called Hunter a tremendous leader in the clubhouse.

"With all the teams I've been with, I don't think I've [played with] a guy that led a clubhouse like he had," Haren said. "His desire to win, the guy is out there every day. It was really impressive to see his leadership qualities. I guarantee that is probably one of the biggest things they miss -- it's him in that clubhouse."

The fans miss him too and that's also the second time in a week that Dipoto's been called out.

I always wished we would have kept Haren and Santana, even moreso when I found out the pitchers we acquired to replace them. Admittedly, I was very excited about acquiring Hamilton this offseason, but in hindsight, I agree with Haren in that I'd much rather have gone into this year with last year's team.

Would Tori return as manager/player.........NOW......

Team isn't getting motivation from MS

Arte should sell the team to Torii and Vernon (and maybe if Pujols retires Arte can convert the future $ owed into equity in the team) Torii can be an owner-manager. Kinda like a Connie Mack situation.