• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official 2017-18 LA Kings thread

Tank

glad to be rid of gaborik and pleasantly surprised someone was willing to take on his contract. his 8 points a year weren't really adding anything to the mix. i'm hopeful that trading an offensive player means we're that much closer to having carter return. we could sure use his offense right now.

i hope phaneuf can't contribute. he has a bit of a negative reputation.

is this the same thompson that used to play with the ducks?

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

glad to be rid of gaborik and pleasantly surprised someone was willing to take on his contract. his 8 points a year weren't really adding anything to the mix. i'm hopeful that trading an offensive player means we're that much closer to having carter return. we could sure use his offense right now.

i hope phaneuf can't contribute. he has a bit of a negative reputation.

is this the same thompson that used to play with the ducks?

Yes the same Thompson.  Unfortunately for the Kings, advanced metrics show both players should be manning one of the nearby parking lots.  Let's put it this way.  Bieska is a cone, and he's on par Fenwick and Corsi to Phaneuf.  

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Yes the same Thompson.  Unfortunately for the Kings, advanced metrics show both players should be manning one of the nearby parking lots.  Let's put it this way.  Bieska is a cone, and he's on par Fenwick and Corsi to Phaneuf.  

i've seen you ducks guys refer to corsi and fenwick several times,  but you're the only ones i've ever seen use that info. what is it, how is it calculated, and what does it mean? i need some kind of primer on it.

33 minutes ago, Tank said:

i've seen you ducks guys refer to corsi and fenwick several times,  but you're the only ones i've ever seen use that info. what is it, how is it calculated, and what does it mean? i need some kind of primer on it.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/phanedi01.html

Corsi (EV)
CF -- Corsi For at Even Strength
Shots + Blocks + Misses
CA -- Corsi Against at Even Strength
Shots + Blocks + Misses
CF% -- Corsi For % at Even Strength
CF / (CF + CA)
Above 50% means the team was controlling the
puck more often than not with this player on the
ice in this situation.
CF% rel -- Relative Corsi For % at Even Strength
CF% - CFoff%
On-Ice Corsi For % - Off-Ice Corsi For %
Fenwick (EV)
FF -- Fenwick For at Even Strength
Shots + Misses
FA -- Fenwick Against at Even Strength
Shots + Misses
FF% -- Fenwick For % at Even Strength
FF / (FF + FA)
Above 50% means the team was controlling the
puck more often than not with this player on the
ice in this situation.
FF% rel -- Relative Fenwick For % at Even Strength
FF% - FFoff%
On-Ice Fenwick For % - Off-Ice Fenwick For %

Pretty much you want over 50% or very close to 50% at least.  You want players that can control the puck in 5 on 5 situations.  Phaneuf is at 42.7% and 43.2% and in comparison Bieksa is at 44.6% and 44.2%.  And Bieska is a turnover machine that gets skated around like he's a cone.  In comparison, Drew Doughty is a 54.2% and 52.8%, Muzzin is a 52.8% and 51.8%, Martinez is a 47% and 46.5% but for him, this seems like an aboration season since he's been north of 50% every year prior, Folin is a 49.8% and 51%, Forbort 50.1% and 49.9%.

Looks like Phaneuf just needed a change of scenery, and the chance to play in the SC playoffs (not happening in Ottawa).

I guessed exactly what the team needed on the road trip (8 pts out of 14 max), and beating rock solid Winnipeg on the road for 3 straight wins was a great conclusion to the road trip.

Ahhhhh, exhale....

Hope Carter is back soon.

53 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Looks like Phaneuf just needed a change of scenery, and the chance to play in the SC playoffs (not happening in Ottawa).

Ottawa was playing him has a #1 dman, which he isn't, even though he's being paid like one. Being reduced to about 18 min/game can only help his effectiveness when on the ice. The Kings really missed the big shot from the blue line, especially on the PP,  which they haven't had since Willie Mitchell left. The PK'ers have to play the points more honestly, opening up the forwards. And while he is indeed a pylon and not much of a puck handler, the Kings can hide that better than most teams. Though Pearson's willingness to do the dirty work in front of the crease should not go unnoticed. It's been a godsend on this road trip. Brown looked really good last night as well. I have noticed that the Kings have really turned on the puck possession game. They are playing 5v5 often like 3v3 and being willing to play the puck back into their own zone, though I suppose that is a dual-edged sword.

1 minute ago, nando714 said:

Why? 

Darcy was on a 1 year deal but he’s been solid in his limited starts imo 

Kuemper wasn't going to play many more games for the Kings this season and wouldn't be exactly content to backup for them again next season. So Blake traded him at his peak value for a speedy winger that will be a RFA this offseason. That's a good thing. And they get a decent backup to boot. The question is why the Coyotes would do this? I'd assume they are about to ship Raanta as Kuemper just agreed to a 2 year extension.