• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 2017 Draft (& Undrafted) Signings

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

http://www.hannapub.com/ouachitacitizen/sports/west-monroe-s-pearson-taken-in-the-third-round-by/article_f10b0136-5074-11e7-aa60-47556bd08b88.html

Good little article on Pearson with a little bit of insight as to how the draft works.  Pearson was called the day before and told by the Halos they would be drafting him in the 3rd round.  

“I see myself signing with the Angels just because of the deal we have ironed out,” Pearson said.

That seems a little far-fetched that Trout would be asking the Angels if they'd drafted Pearson yet. I mean, it seems like he'd have bigger things to worry about than the minor league draft. And then, to not only know about the minor league draft, but to know about an obscure but talented prep kid that wasn't going to be a first round pick, is some pretty significant research. Then on top of all of that, but to be asking the front office if they've drafted a very specific player yet (which isn't his role)......

I dunno if i believe it. Sounds like something the Angels would pass on to his agent as a way of getting this kid to feel excited and connected with the Angels organization and getting him to opt out of LSU.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That seems a little far-fetched that Trout would be asking the Angels if they'd drafted Pearson yet. I mean, it seems like he'd have bigger things to worry about than the minor league draft. And then, to not only know about the minor league draft, but to know about an obscure but talented prep kid that wasn't going to be a first round pick, is some pretty significant research. Then on top of all of that, but to be asking the front office if they've drafted a very specific player yet (which isn't his role)......

I dunno if i believe it. Sounds like something the Angels would pass on to his agent as a way of getting this kid to feel excited and connected with the Angels organization and getting him to opt out of LSU.

hey scotty, sincerely, with all due respect, but no duh.

12    Keith Rogalla    R/R     6-3    205    09/15/95    RHP     JR     Creighton

Rogalla, now 21, said he expects to sign with the Angels soon, then likely will be sent to Utah to play for the Orem Owlz, an Angels rookie-level team in the Pioneer League.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/oak-park/sports/ct-oak-keith-rogalla-will-kincanon-mlb-draft-tl-0622-20170619-story.html

22 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Any word yet on the only Top 10 rounds holdout so far, 5th round pick Joseph Booker?   He was the only HS pick for the Halos in rounds 5-10. 

The question that Booker and Brittain must now weigh is whether to honor their commitments to South Alabama or sign with the Angels. Both are undecided, though Brittain admitted that he is leaning more toward the college route. The pair acknowledged that they would factor the other's decision into their own.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/237472796/angels-draft-longtime-friends-booker-brittain/

Swanda is expected to land in broiling Phoenix sometime Tuesday afternoon, where he’ll head to a training facility to finalize some paperwork, he said. From there, he’ll play rookie ball and then get assigned to any of the minor-league affiliates associated with the Angels.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/06/20/john-swanda-mlb-draft-la-angels-des-moines-roosevelt/412619001/?hootPostID=44bd732cb92db555bf8c89b50f4f8a46

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey John, can they use the excess money to sign lower picks that might have had higher signablility issues?  Or do they have a budget for the top ten, and a budget for picks below and they aren't able to be intertwined?  

Allowed $125,000 for each round, after the tenth. Anything over that is counted against the allotment pool. Last year for example, the Angels signed #20  Jack Kruger  C  for $395,000 ($100,000 allotment)

7 minutes ago, John Smith said:

#Angels have gone under slot by $316,300 with their reported signings of picks 6, 7, 9, 10 - equivalent to a mid fifth-round slot value

And since they went slot for picks one and two, this means they can spend something on pick three which is Jacob Pearson, who is a strong LSU commit but also expected to sign for over slot.  Stuff makes sense sometimes. 

Menlo College baseball all-Americans Jason Alexander and Julian Jarrard have signed free agent contracts.

Alexander signed a minor league free agent deal with the Los Angeles Angels while Jarrard was picked up by the Milwaukee Brewers. 

The ace of Menlo's staff, Alexander was named an NAIA All-American Honorable Mention. The right-hander made 14 starts for the Oaks, totaling a 9-2 overall record. He struck out 84 and walked just 15 in 89.2 innings of work and boasted a team-best 2.71 ERA.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/sports/scoreboard_detail.php?sid=29882