• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels 2017 Draft (& Undrafted) Signings

6 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Still holding out hope for Cobi Johnson, recovering from Tommy John. Potential closer for Florida State in 2018 if he doesn't sign.

"Johnson was drafted in the 29th round by the Los Angeles Angels despite not throwing this season. His father is the bullpen coach for the Blue Jays, and it's always been a dream of his to play professional baseball.

“It’s been every kid’s dream to play Major League Baseball, but the way the coaches have taken care of me, the way they believed in me, and the way they have treated me make it a tough decision," Johnson said"

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/baseball/2017/06/16/florida-states-cobi-johnson-really-happy-recovery/402991001/

39 minutes ago, joeybaseball said:

So I'm curious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but It appears the Angels signed 29 of 40 2017 draft picks. How does this signage compare to the rest of the MLB teams this year?  Is this a high percentage of signees, low, middle of the pack? Any place to find this info?

I'm gonna say this is just a little below average. Last year they signed 35, which was probably a little above average. 

2 hours ago, joeybaseball said:

So I'm curious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but It appears the Angels signed 29 of 40 2017 draft picks. How does this signage compare to the rest of the MLB teams this year?  Is this a high percentage of signees, low, middle of the pack? Any place to find this info?

on the low side because we used our last 7 picks to take fliers on guys with obvious signability issues.  For the off chance that we'd have some leftover pool money and be able to entice them.  All but one were high schoolers.  There were probably on 3 of those expected to sign who actually didn't.  

In 3 years, one those guys will invariably be a top ten draft pick and someone will start a thread on AW about Arte being cheap.  

• 2 weeks later...

So both Herrmanns sign first pro deals as NDFAs.

John Manuel added,

Taylor Blake Ward @TaylorBlakeWard
#Angels have signed Max Herrmann, brother of four-year MLB veteran Frank, to a minor-league deal

Taylor Blake Ward @TaylorBlakeWard 10m10 minutes ago

Max Herrmann, a left-handed pitcher, went undrafted after four years at Rutgers, 3.94 ERA in 86 relief appearances