• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Buyers or sellers?

It really depends on what you can acquire.  With this roster and their performance who are you going to move that will make you more competitive going forward, JC Ramirez?  Shoemaker?  Nolacso?  Chavez?  Will you get anything that really helps a single bit in the next few years?  Either way nothing should be considered until late June early July.  

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

.... But I think Eppler wants to see how Skaggs comes back, or whether or not Richards progresses.

10/12 weeks doesn't give you much, if any, wiggle room before the trade deadline with Skaggs.....and Richards has no timetable right now....

Agree with most others, it's still too early. I think if someone came along soon with a fair offer for Revere, Escobar, or Perez they'd consider it, say a contender losing an OF, 3B, or C and was seeking a reasonable fill-in. 

And, likewise, I could see Eppler buying early on a starter with an aggressive offer; someone who could immediately provide at least league-average innings that may be blocking a youngster elsewhere, a FA to be who could be had fairly cheap or still flipped at the deadline if things don't pan out. Much like Chacin last year, but someone with maybe a little more to offer - and more costly in prospects. Feldman, Happ, Liriano, a Braves SP, Vargas, Gonzales, Holland.

Also, almost all of our sellable parts aren't very attractive right now - Street, Espinosa, Revere, Maybin, Bailey aren't showing much or are injured. Nolasco and Chavez would probably bring back something worthwhile, but we can't afford to lose their innings right now no matter what state we were in. Pennington won't bring anything more than AAA filler. Maldonado is probably worth more to us. Shoemaker has hurt his stock, as has Cron and Marte.

53 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Do we still intend to contend or should Eppler start to consider pulling the plug on 2017 and move some pieces to build for the future. 

Thoughts?

Angels can't compete against teams that bit the bullet and SUCCESSFULLY rebuilt.  I'm willing to rebuild.   

4 minutes ago, California Cajun said:

Angels can't compete against teams that bit the bullet and SUCCESSFULLY rebuilt.  I'm willing to rebuild.   

In order to rebuild like a lot of teams have you have to have movable parts that are valuable enough to bring back future everyday starters, that can contribute on a good team.  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In order to rebuild like a lot of teams have you have to have movable parts that are valuable enough to bring back future everyday starters, that can contribute on a good team.  

If you don't have the parts it takes longer to rebuild.  The Angels have to decide if they want to get past the second round of the postseason, which they haven't done in 15 years.  

we should be sellers.

Many folks who follow MLB and I expect all the Halos posters here hear this from folks they see on a regular basis -- say that Halos should SELL/ TRADE Trout.

I disagree....but oh well.

I do think we should be sellers at deadline time 2017.

We are hovering around .500 which is far more than I expected us to be one week into May.

My concern is that we continue to bumble along at .500 and have a legitimate (on paper) shot at one of the wild card playoff spots.......then that puts us potentially OFF the list of SELLERs and we become a BUYER -- yet realistically, we have little to buy with and whatever we can afford to buy won't really make a difference in 2017.

So we wind up where we seem to wind up in the past -- bad deadline deal making us weaker, giving away something we could have used in 2018 and beyond and  paying too much either for a rental or a player who was a salary dump for the other team and adds payroll for 2018.

I can see us getting to the situation described above - not because it's in the Halos' best interest but because Mike Scioscia needs to show some results in 2017.

2 hours ago, California Cajun said:

If you don't have the parts it takes longer to rebuild.  The Angels have to decide if they want to get past the second round of the postseason, which they haven't done in 15 years.  

They're already doing this. 

32 minutes ago, disarcina said:

My concern is that we continue to bumble along at .500 and have a legitimate (on paper) shot at one of the wild card playoff spots.......then that puts us potentially OFF the list of SELLERs and we become a BUYER -- yet realistically, we have little to buy with and whatever we can afford to buy won't really make a difference in 2017.

I think the bigger concern is that our sellable parts aren't producing enough to be attractive trade bait, regardless of us being buyers or sellers.

I do agree that we should be 'sellers' come July, even if we are contending. We'd have to really be making a threat for me to think otherwise. Even if Maybin, Revere, Espinosa, Nolasco only bring back Jesus Castillo-type A Ballers with upside or bordering AAAA failed prospects like Meyer, it'd fill out the farm a little further, and give us a chance to play some of that depth for a couple months ahead of a deep FA class.

Sellers. Regroup for 2018. Sign 2 SP this offseason. Hope and pray at least one of Heaney and Richards/Skaggs can come back and be a #3 type SP. Build the bullpen around Bedrosian/Parker by adding 2-3 more quality arms there. Get a left fielder and 2B that can hit their weight.

Players that should be traded before July 31st for whatever you can get (assuming we are out of the race like I think we will be): Espinosa, Revere, Maybin, Cron/Marte (one of them), Escobar, Chavez, Nolasco. Those players aren't bringing back anything significant, but maybe you get back a guy or two that can contribute to a team that actually has a chance to be successful. Injuries killed that chance this year, as much as it sucks to say that on May 7th

46 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

It's May 7th, FFS

I think it's a valid discussion given that this team isn't making the playoffs with the current rotation of Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez, and whatever other scrubs they're rolling out there. I mean Trout will keep us "in contention" because he's that good, but no one's good enough to take this group to the playoffs. Injuries killed the teams chances this year, it really sucks that all our promising young SP's have had major injury issues

I'd guess they are far enough out of it that they'll sell some of the minor piece off(Yunel, Maybin, Chavez) and get whatever they can get back for them. Although if they manage to keep it close until Richards and Skaggs are back, that could obviously change things. I don't envision them buying any pieces, unless they feel like adding a decent reliever will make a difference. This trade deadline might be boring for the team but next offseason should be interesting. Cron seems like a man without a job in Anaheim going forward and the team will return 2 starters in 2018 but also have payroll flexibility upcoming. I see Eppler starting to crank up some moves but not until the offseason.