• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Buyers or sellers?

4 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Fixed

If you can get some team to take a Maybin and his salary right now and hand over a decent prospect you're money ahead. Maybin is not a long term solution but if he's as good as some people claim he should get us a good prospect. Or is that just BS.

Its better to start the repairs sooner than later. This current group might be worse than what Tony Reagins left us six years ago.

No, no one has claimed he would get you a good prospect.  He is an every day major league player.  He fills a hole we have in left field.  He hasn't been great, but he isn't the problem either.  He does somethings well.  You are impossible to have a real conversation about this with because you just want to instigate.  Claude, please tell me how many teams make trades the first couple of weeks in May?  Because obviously there must be some examples of teams that are desperate that make trades or teams that are trying to add pieces that make trades in early May.  Now since you won't do that, I'll find something better to do today.  I swear, you probably go to oncology and tell patients they are going to lose their hair. 

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

In order to rebuild like a lot of teams have you have to have movable parts that are valuable enough to bring back future everyday starters, that can contribute on a good team.  

Or struggle for several years and have good draft hauls.

4 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I think you guys are forgetting that 2017 was more of a transition year, because we are waiting on Tropeano and Heaney to come back. If everything breaks right next year (it won't) we will have Richards, Tropeano, Richards, and we could add a couple of free agent starters. 

I think that we are in a transition but it's going to be more like 2017-2021. With Heaney and Trop both coming back from major injuries next season they will both be on limited innings. 

1 minute ago, CALZONE said:

I think that we are in a transition but it's going to be more like 2017-2021. With Heaney and Trop both coming back from major injuries next season they will both be on limited innings. 

And Trop wasn't exactly lighting the world up either. He was effective, but also walking too many and allowing too many hits. 

I'm hopeful we go a little further with FA this year. I don't think we need to go hog wild, but we should have enough salary space to snag a few pieces that are better than what we've been buying. I do think we will see a big splash this offseason or next - be it one name, or several mid-tier names - to either set up a core for the next couple seasons or bring in another 'star' as Albert/Trout's contracts approach their end. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, no one has claimed he would get you a good prospect.  He is an every day major league player.  He fills a hole we have in left field.  He hasn't been great, but he isn't the problem either.  He does somethings well.  You are impossible to have a real conversation about this with because you just want to instigate.  Claude, please tell me how many teams make trades the first couple of weeks in May?  Because obviously there must be some examples of teams that are desperate that make trades or teams that are trying to add pieces that make trades in early May.  Now since you won't do that, I'll find something better to do today.  I swear, you probably go to oncology and tell patients they are going to lose their hair. 

Strad I know that you're the optimist but you're also in denial. This current team can't get out of its own way. In fact I think it will eventually implode. There's no quick way to fix it so you have to take steps now. Remember when Dipoto sent Abreu packing in early May? 

Sometimes those steps are painful because you want to win now. This seasons early results are not favorable because of injuries and we already knew that everything had to go right. So the guys that were supposed to help us win this season won't really be needed much longer. Get what you can now instead of having to DFA them later.

53 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Strad I know that you're the optimist but you're also in denial. This current team can't get out of its own way. In fact I think it will eventually implode. There's no quick way to fix it so you have to take steps now. Remember when Dipoto sent Abreu packing in early May? 

Sometimes those steps are painful because you want to win now. This seasons early results are not favorable because of injuries and we already knew that everything had to go right. So the guys that were supposed to help us win this season won't really be needed much longer. Get what you can now instead of having to DFA them later.

Ok Abreu was sent packing for Trout.  If we had an everyday outfield prospect that was on the verge of being ready, even if he was not projected to be great, but a fringe major league player, I'd be in agreement, much like I am as it relates to Cowart getting his chance now.  Until then there's no hurry as it is only May and deals simply don't happen this early in a season. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

btw, we're 2 back from a playoff spot with 139 games left to play.

i love AW 

With half of the expected pitching staff on the DL, let's wait to see what happens after at the least Bedrosian, Bailey, and maybe GRich return, and Shoe heats up as he usually does as the season moves further along.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok Abreu was sent packing for Trout.  If we had an everyday outfield prospect that was on the verge of being ready, even if he was not projected to be great, but a fringe major league player, I'd be in agreement, much like I am as it relates to Cowart getting his chance now.  Until then there's no hurry as it is only May and deals simply don't happen this early in a season. 

Yep, and Hermosillo could be ready at the earliest by mid-2018 and Jones at the earliest by September 2019.   May need to see if Maybin will take another one year deal. 

Right now if we continue at this mediocre pace, we're at, we will finish about 3 games out of the 2nd Wild Card spot. There is still a LOT of baseball to play so a hot winning streak could put us back in the WC conversation. We are so far away from this topic right now. This discussion will heat up or cool down in late June/early July.

4 hours ago, CALZONE said:

What's wrong with putting some of these guys like Maybin and Pennington on waivers. Are we afraid that the phone won't ring? 

Claude if we are at the point of wanting to try out Cowart, et al, it sends a signal that we are giving up which we shouldn't be doing. Maybin hasn't performed as expected but it makes no sense to place him on waivers and sell him off for pennies on the dollar. I'd rather wait (and I suspect Eppler does too) and see if he can right the ship and get on a hot streak. That increases his value to the team, potentially puts us back in a Wild Card discussion, and certainly would make his trade deadline value increase significantly.

It just doesn't make sense to make these call ups now. They will get their shots in due time. Right now the current and long term value of the team rests on the shoulders of the squad Eppler assembled and they need to be given every chance to reenter the Wild Card discussion or, in the event they continue to plod along through mediocrity, prove that they have some trade value to the teams that are not plodding along in the standings.

28 minutes ago, ettin said:

Claude if we are at the point of wanting to try out Cowart, et al, it sends a signal that we are giving up which we shouldn't be doing. Maybin hasn't performed as expected but it makes no sense to place him on waivers and sell him off for pennies on the dollar. I'd rather wait (and I suspect Eppler does too) and see if he can right the ship and get on a hot streak. That increases his value to the team, potentially puts us back in a Wild Card discussion, and certainly would make his trade deadline value increase significantly.

It just doesn't make sense to make these call ups now. They will get their shots in due time. Right now the current and long term value of the team rests on the shoulders of the squad Eppler assembled and they need to be given every chance to reenter the Wild Card discussion or, in the event they continue to plod along through mediocrity, prove that they have some trade value to the teams that are not plodding along in the standings.

We are barely in the month of May and our expectations have already been reduced to maybe getting hot enough to possibly catch a wild card spot. Well I guess you see my point. 

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

We are barely in the month of May and our expectations have already been reduced to maybe getting hot enough to possibly catch a wild card spot. Well I guess you see my point. I think even Arte knows that this season and probably next are a wash. 

No, we are barely in the month of May 2017 and you have already given up on the next two seasons. 

Sell on Escobar and Nolasco.  Buy if an established 1-2 starter becomes available.  And, I would certainly inquire about Matt Harvey.  We've had pretty good luck acquiring starting pitchers that the Mets didn't know what to do with.  (Insert Nolan Ryan reference here.)

30 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Lou they need to rebuild. That's what I'm trying to convey. 

And what I'm trying to say is that we're 20% through this season and you have given up on not only 2017, but 2018 as well, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.