• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Jett bandy to Brewers (Source)

HaloCory22

Eppler told Pedro Moura that he expects Maldonado to do most of the catching in 2017. Moura's Times story noted that Maldonado is one of the best, "on a per-game basis," at pitch framing and he throws out runners at a 35 percent clip. Moura also noted the up-the-middle defense. I would guess that with Simba and Espinosa catching the throws, they won't be dropped and the tags will be made.

If we were having a productive offseason, this thread would already be on page two. Since we're having the type of offseason that allows this thread to get as much attention as it is, it means that we're f*cked and this trade really makes no impact on that. 

Like most Eppler trades after thinking about it, it's an okay trade. Bandy seems to me like somebody that will be exploited in the majors, Maldonado seems like he alternates years of sucking ass and hitting well for a Catcher. He's the Ervin Santana of catchers. 

We we will have some really good defense this year which will be cool. It's always frustrating when they boot the routine plays.

This trade isn't going to screw us or anything. I don't think we're really better or worse with this trade.

Just seems like a pointless trade to me. Why trade for a 30 year old career back up catcher who can't hit a baseball.

Bandy probably won't turn into anything special, but he provided just as much value last year in 70 games are Maldonado has the last 3 years and Bandy is 26 years old. If Bandy does amount to something, this trade looks stupid on our part.

Maldonado doesn't play full seasons for a reason. He isn't very good. Maldonado doesn't really make us a better baseball team next year and definitely doesn't help us in the future. So unless Eppler sees something in Magnon (which I just flat out don't see), I have no idea why this trade was made. But whatever, like I said, it won't hurt us.

We haven't really relied on our catchers to be good hitters in a while, so next year won't be any different.

Eppler bringing in one arm for the 2 he dealt in the Espinosa deal while swapping very close to the same catcher.  I am assuming that the deal wouldn't have been done unless Scioscia felt it was a push between the two catchers or he liked Maldonado better.   I'm sure he likes Maldonados throw to second better. I don't think we really know how well he trusted how Bandy was projecting in handling the staff.

2 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Nawwwwww, defense up the middle. It's the new market inefficiency. 

Defense up the middle might actually make the bullpen better by not dropping grounders and throwing runners out. There were many head-slapping moments the past couple years: passed balls, botched relays, dropped throws, throws to wrong bases and the list runs on and on.

Except for the odd name, I cannot fathom the degree of attachment so many seem to have for Jett Bandy. He was a decent fill-in when the main plan went south to the DL for much of a lost season. Maybe it happens again. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe with regular playing time, Maldonado might show more ability as a batter. The only definite thing is that he's not going to push the payroll.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

probably not a big deal to either side frankly.  

I have no problem trading Bandy.  I just have issue with the fact that the guy we got is basically a clone of someone we already have.  Why not get the best AAA reliever you could for him instead.  

I'm kinda trying to understand the purpose of this trade. Gagnon I supposed could go back to starting. He could also keep transitioning to relieving (maybe they saw some great talent in his 2016 relief appearances). Maldonado isn't super superior to Bandy in my mind and is controlled for less time. He is a veteran which is what I thought they would do but this wasn't quite the way I thought they'd go but as I also said there are so many damn permutations and paths it is like a pick-your-own-adventure trying to guess what they will do.

This certainly looks like value moving out of the organization. I'd also wager Bandy will be the best player in the deal, so it's hard to see this as a win.

Looks like Eppler is betting on pitch framing and that being his way of propping up what will likely be a poor pitching staff. Unfortunately we have managed to add defensive oriented players across the diamond, something I said we should do, but we seem to be ignoring the offensive side at this point. Im starting to wonder where the runs are going to come from.

9 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This certainly looks like value moving out of the organization. I'd also wager Bandy will be the best player in the deal, so it's hard to see this as a win.

Looks like Eppler is betting on pitch framing and that being his way of propping up what will likely be a poor pitching staff. Unfortunately we have managed to add defensive oriented players across the diamond, something I said we should do, but we seem to be ignoring the offensive side at this point. Im starting to wonder where the runs are going to come from.

Especially with the state of this staff. It's not like we'll be playing a lot of 2-1, 3-2 games this staff is going to give up runs regardless of how good the defense is.