• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Jett bandy to Brewers (Source)

HaloCory22

Transactions

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maldoma01.shtml

Maldonado isn't bad necessarily - in some ways, I can see how he may be what Bandy is most likely turns out to be. But Bandy's upside seems like it'd be worth keeping. 

Drew Gagnon looks like Daniel Wright 2.0. Nothing particularly exciting, unless Eppler sees some crazy spin rate or something that makes him intriguing.

I guess there's another catcher in the works, but would that make Maldonado a DFA candidate? So essentially it'd be Bandy for Gagnon? That doesn't make sense. Is there any way to look up players remaining options?

I never understood the Bandy love and was advocating for Wilson Ramos earlier in the offseason. He wasn't a good hitter in his rookie year. But I suppose he had the potential to get better. They needed some experience back there and Perez didn't really have any trade value. 

Perez also badly slumped in his second year after looking promising offensively in year one.

They must not have believed in the metrics showing that Bandy is a very good defensive catcher.  Also, his swing is swiss cheese.  Gonna get painfully exploited by major league pitchers.  That said, there is a lame factor here in that we are giving moving a guy with some potential that could have been fun to watch develop.  

The guy we got is basically Carlos Perez.  I wonder if we are going to trade him too and then sign someone else.  

Gagnon?  Ugh.  This makes absolutely no sense at all. Even if Scioscia gave him the Napoli treatment, he is definitely worth more than a 30 year old .200 hitting catcher and a bad 26 year old RP.  Even if we do sign Weiters or Castillo, the trade still makes no sense because now Perez would need to be traded.  I have no idea what is going on.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Gagnon?  Ugh.  This makes absolutely no sense at all. Even if Scioscia gave him the Napoli treatment, he is definitely worth more than a 30 year old .200 hitting catcher and a bad 26 year old RP.  Even if we do sign Weiters or Castillo, the trade still makes no sense because now Perez would need to be traded.  I have no idea what is going on.

Except he wasn't given the Scioscia treatment, he was basically the starting catcher the second half. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Except he wasn't given the Scioscia treatment, he was basically the starting catcher the second half. 

HUH?  I meant even if, as in he wasn't, but even if Scioscia didn't like him, he still should be able to get more value for him.  This trade makes no sense for the Angels.  Brewers fans must be loving it.