• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A part of me died tonight

you're not alone, soto, not by a long shot. went to my first game at the big A this season since 2011, and it was a meaningless game on the last saturday night of the year and because i got the tickets for free. wanted my daughter to see mike trout in person at least once.

i hope next year is different and it's more fun to watch the local boys in action. the last five years have been tough to enjoy outside of #27.

16 minutes ago, SoToSpeaks said:

One of the greatest nights in my life was being at the Big A for the halos 02 WS win.   

My love for baseball has waned considerably over the years.  I was once such a die hard Angel fan.  Watching the Cubs win the WS ended one of those great baseball stories - yeah yeah tip of hat to Joe Maddon and team for getting it done - the "would they ever win again" story.

I always felt differently after the Red Sox finally broke their curse.  It wasn't fun not being able to yell 1918 at them, especially after the second title in our lifetimes.  

I know records are meant to be broken, and legends fade.  Lou Gehrig's record fell.  Aaron's record fell.  Rose became the hit king.  

I suppose I'm mourning my childhood, which each day grows more distant.  Going to the Big A in the 70s and 80s as a kid and loving every pitch was my life.  I'd go to 40+ games a season with my dad.   This season I didn't watch one Angels game on tv and went to one.  It's quite sad as I spent my teens and 20s hoping for a son to share my passion of baseball for.  After having two girls, I finally have a five year old boy, but I don't have an interest in the game or sharing it with him.  

The one game he and I went to this year, we arrived in the second inning and left in the seventh. 

I read Historical books about old baseball days and stadiums and past legends. I love that part of baseball.  Sadly I didn't evolve with the game.

Growing up my aunt from Chicago sent me two things for Xmas and my birthday every year - something Jesus related and something Cubs related.  Them losing every year was a thing to me.  

Now that's gone. 

But it isn't so much about the Cubs win as it is my loss.  

I'm probably the only one on some foolish rant in the world right now, but there's no better place for that rant than AW.com

Amen for baseball!

Thank you for sharing Soto.  Your post made me sad.  I truly encourage you to share this great game with your son.  Perhaps a part of your childhood died today, but man this series and that game tonight is what makes it the best game in the world bar none.  

soto, take you son to spring training where you can both get up close and personal with the players. it'll be like taking him to disneyland for the first time. he'll see someone like mike morin pitching on one of the sub-fields and remember his name, maybe even get an autograph, and then when the season starts and he sees morin brought into a game, he'll remember that amazing time his dad took him to tempe and that he got to watch this particular player from up close, and it'll be one of the best moments of his life.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Thank you for sharing Soto.  Your post made me sad.  I truly encourage you to share this great game with your son.  Perhaps a part of your childhood died today, but man this series and that game tonight is what makes it the best game in the world bar none.  

my 5yo son has almost no interest in baseball right now other than the feigned variety when he sees me watching the game and he asks me 'is that mike trout?' about pretty much any player on the screen.  One of my good friends told me that when his son was 5, it was just the same, but now he's 8 and he eats, sleeps and breaths it.  So I am holding out hope.  It would sure as shit help if we could start rolling out some winning seasons.  But somehow I managed to be a huge fan in spite of our franchise's suckitude for decades. 

Soto, great post.

Is he interested in playing, and/or you in coaching?

my son (6) started machine pitch and coach pitch this year, and it's been an incredible bonding experience.

We've gone to several Astros games this year (mostly vs the Halos).  As shitty as the Angels are, it's made baseball fun again.  He'll probably grow up an Astros fan, but I couldn't care less if he chooses them over the Halos. 

It's so fun to see the game from his perspective.  Takes me back to my childhood.

21 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Get your shit together and go play baseball with your son man. It is literally the only thing I have in common with my dad at this point.

Seriously the best times of my life were my dad throwing me a baseball at the park while I stood in the box, and talking to him in the car ride before and after playing games.

He was so goddamned proud of me. He was there to celebrate when I did well and picked me up when I was down.

He never picked on me or yelled at me, which was quite contrary to other kids out on the field sometimes.

Dad's and playing catch and talking baseball, man I hope that never goes away.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

my 5yo son has almost no interest in baseball right now other than the feigned variety when he sees me watching the game and he asks me 'is that mike trout?' about pretty much any player on the screen.  One of my good friends told me that when his son was 5, it was just the same, but now he's 8 and he eats, sleeps and breaths it.  So I am holding out hope.  It would sure as shit help if we could start rolling out some winning seasons.  But somehow I managed to be a huge fan in spite of our franchise's suckitude for decades. 

Both of my sons have very little interest in the game.  What was cool is this World Series my 17 year old was actually interested in the games.  He came home from work tonight and was excited to watch the rest of the game with me and his Uncle Doug.  Now both of my boys love opening day, and still haven't missed one in their lives.  They also enjoy spring training.  Them not loving the game was difficult for me and their mom.  I love the game with a passion and played my whole life and their mom was an All American softball player.  We assumed they would love it, it just never happened.  As for my dad and our connection with baseball, that is a long post that I don't have the energy to go into right now.  He introduced me and my brothers to this great game.  My oldest brother when he passed away was buried in a Dodger Jersey that I had recently bought him.  My dad passed away last summer and we were planning on going to see his two favorite teams (Angels and Twins) play.  He didn't make it to that game, but I did take my brother just a few days after my dad passed.  Baseball is beautiful, especially if you simply watch the game and you don't get caught up in all of the crap on the business side of the game.  

These were the kind of posts I came here looking for tonight. I feel like some kind of epiphany happened to me tonight but I really haven't been able to sort it out quite yet, but something inside has changed. 

I spent the evening with a special gal who is a sports fan in general, but never really experienced a game 7, and just seeing her wide eyed amazement made me feel like a kid,  Baseball is truly something special, something deeper than a bat and a ball, and I feel a change deep inside myself that is going to lead to something new and different. The way I view the world changed tonight, and the way I'm going to deal with it will be different from here on.

I was sure I wasn't the only one...so thanks to everyone who posted here.

After reading some of the responses ... I didn't realize how lucky I am to have two sons who have a passion for the game. 

My world right now is travelball with my ten year son. We're in it for the long haul ... hopefully a scholarship down the road. 

Hope you don't mind me sharing some pics ... it makes me proud. 

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

My 27 year old son often brings up one of our many Dad/Son only baseball trips. We've been to Old Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Tropicana Field, Safe Co Field, Dodger Stadium, Petco, The MetroDome. These memories will be the memories that he will have forever, when I am dead and gone. Hopefully, this will keep a part of me alive in his stories.

Go Halos!!!

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I love baseball for the opposite reason.  No matter what happens, it makes me feel young.  I love box scores and stats and history, but in the end it comes down to the people and the joy they see.  The players and coaches of course, but the fans and the family.  Baseball records everything and nothing.  It's an exercise in keeping track of inane details and otherwise worthless information yet somehow, it's made to be important by the people that pay attention to it.  For no particular reason really other than that's what they have decided to do.  I have been drawn to it since I can remember anything.  Good or bad it's always different.  Unpredictable and new yet somehow familiar.  But certainly a part of who I am and who I will always be.  

I remember a cartoon years ago (haven't been able to find it since) showing an old man sitting alone in the stands leaning back at what is presumably a spring training game, saying "Made the cut again." That hits home for me. When one baseball season ends, I'm looking forward to what the next one will bring.

troll daddy -- great pics of the kids......

great to see kids loving the game.......

one issue MLB and quite frankly, our friends over at the NFL (I virtually stopped watching the NFL a number of seasons ago - I mean I'll catch part of a game if it's on -- but the days of really following it week to week and checking the standings has been in rear view mirror for me for quite some time now -- now college football -- that's a different story). need to face her soon is that sign ups for Little League and Pop Warner/ YFL youth leagues is down nationwide (well, probably not in Texas) and, at some point, that will impact the game at the professional level.

the NFL right now is experiencing their first down turn in viewership, possibly attendance, in three decades -- there are several causes (my favorite is Kapernick's antics -- if I wasn't already NOT watching, I'd NOT be watching now) over-saturation etc.

so, Troll Daddy - it's great to see young photogenic kids enjoying baseball. Congrats. Much to be proud about.........

I am a very lucky dad in that my older son (14 yesterday, born in '02, what a week that was) is a fanatic for both baseball and basketball.  He plays both sports at a high level, and is a devoted fan of the big leaguers too.  As a guy in his 40's, my joy is helping him develop his game and being proud to watch him compete.  As a trickle down, my 6 year old is soaking it up as well, because he wants to be just like big brother.  He is well on his way.

I have to admit that this year their enthusiasm kept me watching, even though it was difficult at times.  Listening to my little guy go on about Mike Trout reminds me of myself pretending to be Bobby Grich or Brian Downing.  I still have the same love for baseball, but sometimes forget about the pure joy that it brought me while growing up.  I'm lucky enough to have a couple good reasons to remember why.

This World Series and the flood of media coverage might have an unexpected benefit in that more kids will be exposed to baseball and it's heroes of today's Cubs. I've mentioned over the past few seasons how likeable and respectful these young Cubs players are (and not just them but a lot of the young stars around the majors) Seeing them playing the game the right way, and watching them get the accolades they are getting....hopefully that sends a lot more kids to the little leagues and asking Mom and Dad to take them to major league games..and become life long fans like we are.

Love seeing all this combined with the downturn in NFL ratings around the country...and the lack of parity in the NBA..

It's all good for our game.